US Vogue February 2019 : Reese Witherspoon by Zoe Ghertner

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by TZ001, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

I wish she looked HAPPY or at least with a smile come on!!! I love the old school US Vogue aesthetic though but I wished the pose showed more impact or confidence, it´s too soft or as if she was going to shoot her but clicked before she was ready. The editorial on the other hand is... ahaha for a lack of better words : BLAND AS HELL. The cover is lovely but had way more potential to be better.

2. DK92

DK92 Member

It's not so bad or so good, just dull... I hope the editorials inside are good!

crmsnsnwflks likes this.
  3. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Benn, your fixation with bringing up 'indie' in every comment...

Election is one of my favorite films of the late 90s. After all these years, I've yet to read an interview of hers. I just might, if I'm bored.

Zoe's work is hit or miss for me but it's a welcome change to see a female photog from the new guard land the cover. I'm hoping to witness the rise of the next Meisel or Leibovitz...before these mainstream fashion titles cease to print.

YourMonster and Perickles like this.
  4. Joromana

Joromana Member

My exact thoughts. This is BEAUTIFUL (a little sad looking expression, but still beautiful) yet it still looks very Vogue US.

Miss Dalloway likes this.
  5. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

I agree. I’ve always thought that she’s a lot like Tracy Flick, her character in “Election”, when it comes to her cultivated image in Hollywood.

@Benn98, I’m not really sure about this but CMIIW, I think part of the reason why she got married so young had something to do with her being from the south. She might have that christian, conservative mentality at that time in which domesticity at a very young age is encouraged for fear of having sex before marriage.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  6. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Terrible. It looks old and dusty. The typeface, colors, and style of photography are all out of date. There is no joy in this. When I think of Reese this is not what comes to mind! This magazine needs a facelift. They have the potential to be great, but it seems as if “good enough” is all they need. It’s not.

Perickles likes this.
  7. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

When I saw this on Instagram earlier, my mouth opened in awe! An actual US Vogue cover that looked simple yet beautiful omg, who would ever have thought? I think Reese looks super beautiful on the cover and I like the combo of her green dress and the pale blue sky. Also I love her as an actress so this is great. Now here's hoping the editorials are decent!

8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I can now see the similarities between her and Tracy Flick. Now what about Vanessa Lutz in Freeway? :rofl:

And correct, that was precisely her de facto campaign at the time, which probably made it easier for magazines like Seventeen to glorify her image.
    The reason why I didn't think she'd accomplish all that she has to date was because from the outset she always seemed oddly fascinated with domesticity. The tracectory we got spoonfed for at the time, which I stupidly fell for, was that she loved keeping house, would settle down sooner to, raise her kids, and indeed she worked less than her peers. But then she divorced and everything changed, I suppose.

9. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

Outtake 0AC8E3CE-67C7-416E-BF3C-FDA45BF1BDFB.jpeg
    Instagram/ZoeGhertner

Benn98 likes this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

11. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

Love the simplicity of this, but the dress on the cover makes her look pregnant. But what a wonderful editorial. This is how you make simple look great, that Beyonce / Saoirse covers were just so bland, boring and cheap.

12. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

What a boring issue and she is really not interesting.

Ed.. likes this.
  13. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

There is way too much boobage going on in that cover, apart from that I really enjoy the overall look of this, and that's a first, because although I really like her as an actress i do not find her at all attractive in a fashion context.

14. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

That's her boob...she is petite and curvy....we had tons of discussion about celebrating a woman's body and now "Too much boobage" is a problem?...it's not that she is wearing something with a tacky cleavage or something like this...In fact maybe because of that specific detail Anna chose this picture as a cover....

Hermiola, June and jorgepalomo like this.
  15. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

Are you saying that if I prefer to see or wear a dress is cut in a way that boobs are no at all in focus I'm not "celebrating a woman's body? That's news to me, I was under the impression that as woman and someone with boobs I could choose to like or wear whatever i want.

mikel likes this.
  16. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Along with this, the Priyanka Chopra cover last month and Emily Blunt's from December... I am so here for US Vogue reverting back to their glory days. This right here feels like those classic American Vogue covers which always worked so incredibly well. I also admire the fact Anna brought on Zoe Ghertner to give the magazine's aesthetic a fresh new update. A total thumbs up from me!

17. Plax

Plax Well-Known Member

Review (182p)

Kindred Sprits (11p)
    Photographer: Stephen Shore
    Styling: Alex Harrington
    Hair: Bob Recine
    Make Up: Jen Myles

Top Priority (10p)
    Photographer: Daniel Jackson
    Styling: Tabitha Simmons
    Hair: Ward
    Make Up: Romy Soleimani
    Model: Liu Wen, Lily Aldridge, Mayowa Nicholas, Rebecca Leigh, Sabrina Karlsson, Paloma Elsesser, Mackenzie, Elle King, Clare de Boer, Noor Bukhari

Reese's World (10p)
    Photographer: Zoe Ghertner
    Styling: Tonne Goodman
    Hair: Tamara McNaughton
    Make Up: Gucci Westman

Child of Mine (2p)
    Photographer: Tyler Mitchell
    Styling: Gabriella Karefa Johnson
    Model: Slick Woods

Get Ready (4p)
    Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
    Styling: Gabriella Karefa Johnson
    Hair: Lacy Redway
    Make Up: Emi Kaneko
    Model: Adut Akech, Derrick Baskin, Ephraim Sykes, Jeremy Pope, Jawan M. Jackson, James Harkness

Personal Best (10p)
    Photographer: Bibi Cornejo Borthwick
    Styling: Camilla Nickerson
    Hair: Bob Recine
    Make Up: Dick Page
    Model: Carolyn Murphy, Gemma Ward, Caroline Trentini, Sara Grace Wallerstedt, Nora Attal, Liya Kebede, Fei Fei Sun, Blesnya Minher, Vittoria Cerreti

Benn98 likes this.
  18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Nadine, Bibi, Zoe's edit which we've seen already.....does not bode well at all.
    But the casting is a breath of fresh air!

@Plax who is featured in the Kindred Spirits edit?

19. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

The content is solid this month. What a cast!

20. Plax

Plax Well-Known Member

The new generation of American designers like Gypsy Sports, Brandon Maxwell etc and their friends (?).