US Vogue February 2022 : HoYeon Jung by Harley Weir

The cover is ok. But that editorial is amazing. Lovely to see East Asian representation. We def could use MORE of it on US Vogue

Terrible cover...i'm guessing most of the Vogue editions are experimenting an identity crisis,and this is gonna be the worst year....I prefer to see Vogue Ukraine, Korea, CZ or even Spain...not this Vogue US,British,Italia,Germany and France nonsense...

People want to argue about the technicalities but the truth is this is the first time someone who looks like her is on the cover solo in 130 years and I’m here for that kind of representation.

thank you very much

People want to argue about the technicalities but the truth is this is the first time someone who looks like her is on the cover solo in 130 years and I’m here for that kind of representation.

Depends how much applause you want to give a company who, after 130 years, has suddenly decided there's a strong business case to put 'someone who looks like her' on the cover. Because if there was a true belief in the importance of diversity at US Vogue, the person who's been in charge for decades would have sought to produce a cover like this... sometime during the past few decades, when it really would have made a difference, leading the way, setting an example, rather than lagging behind, and then being applauded for their magnificent decision in the 2020s to realise Asian people exist.

"Better late than never". Yes, be happy with the industry's scraps, and to be represented only when we've reached the dying days of fashion magazines. Be happy you're only being included because the company now has no other choice, because they'll lose money and face if they don't - not because they actually care about the principle of representation. This is a business making a business decision, and expecting their audience to assign emotional values to it. Which we will do.

^and she happens to be on the cover because she´s modelesque but also because she´s on a huge tv show...

Is she still a fashion model? I hope she is like Milla and Amber.

The cover fails in comparison with the editorial.

Its a decent cover. The art direction is tragic. the kerning is atrocious

Depends how much applause you want to give a company who, after 130 years, has suddenly decided there's a strong business case to put 'someone who looks like her' on the cover. Because if there was a true belief in the importance of diversity at US Vogue, the person who's been in charge for decades would have sought to produce a cover like this... sometime during the past few decades, when it really would have made a difference, leading the way, setting an example, rather than lagging behind, and then being applauded for their magnificent decision in the 2020s to realise Asian people exist.

"Better late than never". Yes, be happy with the industry's scraps, and to be represented only when we've reached the dying days of fashion magazines. Be happy you're only being included because the company now has no other choice, because they'll lose money and face if they don't - not because they actually care about the principle of representation. This is a business making a business decision, and expecting their audience to assign emotional values to it. Which we will do.

I believe we’re both trying to make a similar argument. While others were saying Anna had, in deed, given covers to Asians in the past. I wanted to make clear that this was the first time she had put this type of representation on the cover. Ultimately, whatever steps towards inclusivity she takes will always be tainted by the 30+ years of baggage she brings with her. For a truly fresh start Vogue would need a new editor, but at this point they are both basically worthless without the other. A step in the right direction however is still a step forward.

It seems that LVMH and Netflix are partnering a lot lately.

Agreed on everything you've said...

Franca Sozzani was so ahead of her time. Her Fei Fei cover came in a very unexpected moment in culture as she did with the Black Issue and Curvy Issue. She was the real visionary here. Everything Anna didn't make, Franca did it first because she was open minded and she wanted a change in society. The more I see this moves from Anna, more I love Miss Sozzani.

Franca Sozzani was so ahead of her time. Her Fei Fei cover came in a very unexpected moment in culture as she did with the Black Issue and Curvy Issue. She was the real visionary here. Everything Anna didn't make, Franca did it first because she was open minded and she wanted a change in society. The more I see this moves from Anna, more I love Miss Sozzani.

Franca and Edward should be applauded for putting out collectable issues ie Vogue Italy's black and curvy issues and the September 2019's "forces of change" cover.

Although Edward's shortsightedness meant the September 2019 issue wasn't printed in sufficient numbers.

Vogue's US's idea of "collectable" issues was to widen the width of the issue (to crowd out competing magazines on newsstands), throw Taylor swift on cover and hike up the cover price.

I'm not sure how "collectable" this new issue of Vogue US is. But i am persuaded that Anna should put out a themed cover and issue.

Franca and Edward should be applauded for putting out collectable issues ie Vogue Italy's black and curvy issues and the September 2019's "forces of change" cover.e.

Interesting perspective.

Franca is a titan of uncompromising creative vision and the Vogue she built and standardized will never be matched in our lifetime. Edward has shown to be a shrewd and strategic opportunist.

One is a true powerhouse force of change— and the other is a marketeer who rides the tide of popular opinion. Although they both exist on the same fashion spectrum— they are at either opposite, but not necessarily opposing ends. My preference and allegiance is undoubtedly clear. However, Edward is someone who plays the game very well and there’s no doubt he is the successor to Anna.

Unfortunately.

Interesting perspective.

Franca is a titan of uncompromising creative vision and the Vogue she built and standardized will never be matched in our lifetime. Edward has shown to be a shrewd and strategic opportunist.

One is a true powerhouse force of change— and the other is a marketeer who rides the tide of popular opinion. Although they both exist on the same fashion spectrum— they are at either opposite, but not necessarily opposing ends. My preference and allegiance is undoubtedly clear. However, Edward is someone who plays the game very well and there’s no doubt he is the successor to Anna.

Unfortunately.

I think there is also something to be said for the times we are in. Would Franca's vision thrive in today's climate? Would Edward have done things differently if he were in this position 20 years ago?

I also think the reach and what each of their respective Vogues stands for, is different and does count for something, in terms of approach. Bringing Anna back into this; the reader Anna has to appeal to for US Vogue was/is different than that of Franca's Vogue Italia. That helps to dictate the cover choices, the content inside...everything. I'm not saying I agree with all of the decisions made over the years, however, I think we would be remiss to not acknowledge the fact that the playing fields aren't even.

Last edited:
^^^ Absolutely. They are the products of their times. More than ever, creatives in this industry have to play the game to succeed: And playing the game these days, means following and catering to popular opinion as Edward has, rather than leading with unrivalled creative risks, as Franca had done.

The further implications that the playing field weren’t even, and is now evening out is a fair one. And if this fashion era— the worst in terms of creative vision of any era, is the result that the playing field is levelling, then it’s a rather huge and damning indictment of that result of levelling the playing field. Unfortunately.

^^^ Absolutely. They are the products of their times. More than ever, creatives in this industry have to play the game to succeed: And playing the game these days, means following and catering to popular opinion as Edward has, rather than leading with unrivalled creative risks, as Franca had done.

The further implications that the playing field weren’t even, and is now evening out is a fair one. And if this fashion era— the worst in terms of creative vision of any era, is the result that the playing field is levelling, then it’s a rather huge and damning indictment of that result of levelling the playing field. Unfortunately.

I agree. Everything is just a little too precious, in the approach to not offend anyone or to include everyone. I'm hoping the fashion bubble will burst and we will have a resurgence of creativity and fantasy, but I won't hold my breath.

Firstly I don’t care who is on the cover as long as they look amazing. Amazing hair; makeup; clothes; jewels; art direction ; lighting etc
Secondly I just don’t get the thought process that goes into choosing the final picture. The hair in the eyes & being out shone by a radar reflector ~ I can just image what her mother is saying :angry:
I just wish they would cease with the “let’s take a beautiful woman & make her ugly as sin” objective ~ it’s annoying.
Sometimes I wonder is the joke … on us?
Finally the business of magazines / print media is to entice people to buy ~ this cover is just another nail in the dying art of print magazines ~ sad when it could so easily be fixed.

I’ll stop ranting now.…:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexdan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->