US Vogue February 2022 : HoYeon Jung by Harley Weir

i would love to see her styled in a bourgeois hollywood style like angelina jolie or drew barrymore back in the day. this indeed looks like a reprint.

American vogue chose her as a cover subject? I can't believe it. Thank god an east asian girl got a cover but she is unqualified!
I never get what this SQUID GAME is about. At least use an established actress.
Her career is so unpredictable. Just wait and see.
Wrong person. Wrong picture by the way. Very Vogue Taiwan

^US Vogue and "qualified" actress don´t always go hand in hand so in that regard: she´s a former model in a worlwide popular show so she very much qualifies to be on their cover imo.

What are the other editorials in this issue?

Franca Sozzani was so ahead of her time. Her Fei Fei cover came in a very unexpected moment in culture as she did with the Black Issue and Curvy Issue. She was the real visionary here. Everything Anna didn't make, Franca did it first because she was open minded and she wanted a change in society. The more I see this moves from Anna, more I love Miss Sozzani.
When will Anna retire? I think Vogue in general just need someone new at the top. Its not like Conde Nast is making as much profits as it did in the past.

Not a fan of that cover, but I love the photo of her in the green dress with the petals blowing behind her! It's amazing! :wub:

To me Grace is the one that should have rule this Vogue. Anna isn't Miranda at Runway Magazine at all. I think she takes bad choices or she jumps to the wagon too late. I agree she was one of the first fashion editors that embraced diversity from the late 80s to now (thought she had her "only blue eyed blonde" period as most of the magazines at the time). So she did in the past bold moves. I think Naomi was her first September Issue. The weak part was that she only shown black and white girls, but forgot asians, latinas, etc. It's good that she's doing it now. It's better than never, and I hope this won't be the last time. Anna needs to sell, and there's nothing bad about that. If they don't sell this magazine means the end for them and rest of the Vogue brand. She needs more creativity. She was a close friend of Franca. Anna can take inspiration from her, not doing the same of course, but doing something new and attractive.

Anna needs to sell, and there's nothing bad about that. If they don't sell this magazine means the end for them and rest of the Vogue brand. She needs more creativity. She was a close friend of Franca. Anna can take inspiration from her, not doing the same of course, but doing something new and attractive.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges. Anna and Franca may have worked for Vogue, the US and Italy are two drastically different markets.
Best believe Franca would have never expressed herself that way if she was working for Vogue US.

Sensibilities are totally different in those two markets. We would never know what Anna would have done in a different setting. She made some bold decisions at HQ, NY Magazine or Vogue UK and she kind of pushed the US Market into a different aesthetic but her Vogue has a different POV and POR than Franca.

Franca is a bit like Francine Crescent in the 70’s. Most of what was shown in VP in the 70’s and early 80’s would have caused for Mirabella to be fired if she published it in her Vogue.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges. Anna and Franca may have worked for Vogue, the US and Italy are two drastically different markets.
Best believe Franca would have never expressed herself that way if she was working for Vogue US.

Sensibilities are totally different in those two markets. We would never know what Anna would have done in a different setting. She made some bold decisions at HQ, NY Magazine or Vogue UK and she kind of pushed the US Market into a different aesthetic but her Vogue has a different POV and POR than Franca.

Franca is a bit like Francine Crescent in the 70’s. Most of what was shown in VP in the 70’s and early 80’s would have caused for Mirabella to be fired if she published it in her Vogue.

And that's exactly why this centralizing, merging and HOC are a disaster....Not even Edward has the British sensibility for his Vogue but the AW approach....they took the soul and life from the other Vogue's specially Italy and France, two of the biggest european markets...and you see them now and it's nothing...

They are saving money yes, but at what cost? anyway...

Franca was more commercial at L'Uomo. Most of her issues were with celebs/personalities. She almost pulled fashion stories, and it was close to American/British magazines. L'Uomo maybe was a better magazine to read than to look for inspiration as her Vogue Italia. I take Franca over Anna though, no one in the last 30 years can be compared to her (maybe a bit Liz Tilberis, but she wasn't in the same place too long as Franca). Anna is commercial, she's the editor of American Vogue, the heart of pop culture. In my last response, knowing the admiration of Anna to Franca, she can take inspiraton from her, but not copying all she did. That was the biggest mistake of most of the Vogue's from 2017 to now, doing their own version of Italian Vogue. When it's literal, is a total disaster. That level is too high and unique, that no one can do it as Franca/Meisel did. Anna and Franca shared Meisel during the 90s and 00s. He did covers for both at the same time. There are clear difference about the market in US and Italy, one more commercial and the other more avant garde. You can say the same about UK with their class and glamour (look at Edward now) and France, with the sensuality as identity. Of course this is almost gone because the global deal is happening, and the woman behind that is Miss Wintour. I tried to say she's not Cruela Devil, not at all. She has problems of adaptation and creativity in current times. She ruled the 90s and early 00s. Her Vogue was the big deal, different but at the same level as the other 3 of the big 4. Since 2014 it's been a disaster. Social media, the new icons, the digital era when no one reads print, destroyed this magazine. I'm pretty sure she's aware about it and she's trying to make a change.

And that's exactly why this centralizing, merging and HOC are a disaster....Not even Edward has the British sensibility for his Vogue but the AW approach....they took the soul and life from the other Vogue's specially Italy and France, two of the biggest european markets...and you see them now and it's nothing...

I total agree with you! But Vogue Italia was killed long time ago with Farneti and even further when Verderi started as creative director. I blame the people from CN that put those two there. But what they did with Alt months ago was criminal.

Franca was more commercial at L'Uomo. Most of her issues were with celebs/personalities. She almost pulled fashion stories, and it was close to American/British magazines. L'Uomo maybe was a better magazine to read than to look for inspiration as her Vogue Italia. I take Franca over Anna though, no one in the last 30 years can be compared to her (maybe a bit Liz Tilberis, but she wasn't in the same place too long as Franca). Anna is commercial, she's the editor of American Vogue, the heart of pop culture. In my last response, knowing the admiration of Anna to Franca, she can take inspiraton from her, but not copying all she did. That was the biggest mistake of most of the Vogue's from 2017 to now, doing their own version of Italian Vogue. When it's literal, is a total disaster. That level is too high and unique, that no one can do it as Franca/Meisel did. Anna and Franca shared Meisel during the 90s and 00s. He did covers for both at the same time. There are clear difference about the market in US and Italy, one more commercial and the other more avant garde. You can say the same about UK with their class and glamour (look at Edward now) and France, with the sensuality as identity. Of course this is almost gone because the global deal is happening, and the woman behind that is Miss Wintour. I tried to say she's not Cruela Devil, not at all. She has problems of adaptation and creativity in current times. She ruled the 90s and early 00s. Her Vogue was the big deal, different but at the same level as the other 3 of the big 4. Since 2014 it's been a disaster. Social media, the new icons, the digital era when no one reads print, destroyed this magazine. I'm pretty sure she's aware about it and she's trying to make a change.

My difference is maybe that I don’t take someone over the other. The magazines, the audience, the reach, the scales are too different for me to even compare.
It’s not necessarily Anna who is too commercial but American Fashion in it essence. America is commercial and has a mass appeal…Which is totally different from Italy and France.
In the US, they have a lot of magazines, much like the UK that were maybe more niche, more avant garde but it’s not the same audience.

Remember, we are fashion fans. So sometimes, we have that tendency to put everything in the same level…I do not think when you have a magazine like Vogue US, you are only talking to fashion heads.

I don’t love US Vogue in the same way that I used to love it because it really sold a fantasy lifestyle. But I like to see the evolution.

That being said, I loved the historic combination of all the 3 Vogue because the identity was distinct. But in terms of overall content, I used to prefer Vogue US and Vogue Paris simply because at VI, I only cared about Meisel and sometimes I felt like his stories were too overwhelming for the rest of the content. I think at US and VP, the content was more balanced….That’s why I think a lot of us were kind of underwhelmed when Franca gave covers
/covers stories to others photographers…

Regarding what’s happening at CN now, it’s sad but I’m not mad. They simply cannot match the standards they set for themselves. It’s maybe better to move on to something else…

A bit out of topic but I love this statement. Perfectly epitomizes what Conde Nast is doing at the moment, and if you don't mind, I'd love to borrow this sentence whenever a budget meeting with a client comes around :D

A bit out of topic but I love this statement. Perfectly epitomizes what Conde Nast is doing at the moment, and if you don't mind, I'd love to borrow this sentence whenever a budget meeting with a client comes around :D

Sure @Ken Doll Jenner be my guest! i use it myself with clients too lol

I total agree with you! But Vogue Italia was killed long time ago with Farneti and even further when Verderi started as creative director. I blame the people from CN that put those two there. But what they did with Alt months ago was criminal.

Yeah, i just saw a video from the Vogue Paris era (Daria by Inez & Vinoodh in Las vegas) and it's weird it have this amazing feeling and energy....and now it's just nothing but as Lola said we need to move on, understand that this is what it is and it's not gonna change (for good) and let's find another sources of fantastic fashion and inspiration...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexdan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->