Vanity Fair February 2024 : Simone Biles by Adrienne Raquel

This girl is an amazing athelete, and is also 4ft 8 (142cm).

PLEASE give her a chance instead of shrouding her in some disgusting pink pillowcase that looks like she got stuck in a Carolina Herrera Skirt.

The styling is so bad. It's very distracting from her face.

She looks shorter than she already is imo... the styling and photography could have been so much better.

When a folded tongue work as a dress...

Terrible...

With the dress, I can see the concept they were going for - trying to echo sculptural curves - but it puts me in mind of a large piece of pink chewing gum, and I feel bad saying that, because I like that she's on the cover and I'm looking forward to seeing this issue.

Is that dress going to be like a rorschach image, where every person is going to be reminded of something different when they look at it, because you can't really make out what it's meant to be?

I blame the colour more than anything else - if it was grey or white, we might see it as more abstract, but it's pink with folds...

the previous issue has no comments here, hahaha.

It is a great cover. Love everything.

Super proud of Adrienne, been following her Instagram account and general work since the beginning. Great to see how far she’s come and how she’s consistently applied her vision.

She looks like a tiny person wearing a deflated beach ball.

Vanity Fair has been getting it right with who has been on their covers lately, but my god... the execution.

The composition and styling is wrong. Who thought to put her in that cloud cover? The angle and the dress make her look alot shorter. She always photographs very well that you dont even need to overdo it. Something classic and happy would have been perfect.

Love the choice of Biles, hate the outfit. 50% is probably better than other things recently…

I think it's a beautiful dress and she looks amazing. I wouldn't chosen another dress that could also nod gymnastics movements and graciousness.
Is it possible not to love Simone Biles though? I don't think so.

I don't know why editors (?) are so scared of good cropping! All we needed here was a close-up. She looks great and I love her! A truly impressive human being.

Why did they shoot her from such a low angle? Making her take up the whole page isn't going to make her look any taller.

The colors are beautiful. This is so VF.

My sentiments exactly. The colours are indeed beautiful and the cover overall feels quintessential Vanity Fair, which I am 100% behind. The use of the Rick Owens dress doesn't offend me as much as everyone else either - it's the clashing red Vanity Fair masthead which offends me more!

Just got my UK print subscription copy.

The cover is super-glossy, which is great, but the issue is very thin - 112 pages. There's a two-page new season Chanel campaign and a Vuitton GO-14 ad on the back page, and that's about it for fashion advertising. The rest is jewellery, watches and travel.

There are several pages devoted to a "Global Goals List" which is "spotlighting 17 incredible leaders working tirelessly to create a better future for us all" although nearly everyone who appears in a Conde Nast magazine these days is a disruptive world-changing leader of some sort who employs the superpower of word salad to make their your world a better place.

There are mini features on "How can we trust the images we see from the Israel-Hamas conflict?" (by realising the adage "truth is the first casualty of war" isn't modern word salad) and "This Oscar season has redefined the himbo", but with not enough pictures to prove their point, I feel.

The cover story with Simone Biles is followed by an article 'Barbarians at the Glades' covering the type of people who want to live at Palm Beach. Then it's the 'One-Body Problem', "Bryan Johnson has spent millions on his twin quests for eternal life and a younger penis". Then it's 'Throne of Games' about the people who create the puzzles in the New York Times. We have some vintage HARRY BENSON as he talks about The Beatles, and then a look at Conan O'Brien's first year at whatever show he presented in the 90s. The Proust Questionnaire is Mariska Hargitay.

What type of person does Vanity Fair think reads their magazine? From the sound of most of that content, it isn't the youth market. Yet they insist on shoehorning in stuff that's on the sophistication level of someone still in high school.

Anyhow, there's more content in this issue than the page count would suggest, yet it's a.... mixed bag. After reading, I would keep the cover and ditch the rest of the issue.

The next issue should be the Hollywood one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->