Vanity Fair September 2021 : Sean Combs by Kaito

Unexpected, but I like it...

^Same here. Or maybe because I am a fan of Bad Boy Music? Lols.

I'm kinda looking forward to this issue.

I suppose I should wait and read through the issue before I interpret the theme of "Turn of the century" to mean that VF has decided not to bother producing any astute analysis of current events, instead they'll just stuff the issue full of superficial takes on pop culture from two decades ago, designed to appeal to the limited attention span of an audience who won't remember much about that time themselves.

Because I could be wrong.

As a big fan of his, I love this! He looks great and it's just overall a powerful cover. Looks very collectible.
Everything is so referential nowadays, Beniffer and all. Don't mind it at all because what's the alternative? Kids who are famous for doing dance routines on TikTok?

Graydon Carter-era VF would have been working on a Britney cover by now, since I see her name on the cover.

Nostalgia sells, but I find this kind of embarrassing and obvious as a themed issue (though Diddy looks hot). Everyone/everything they mention on the cover has already been discussed ad nauseam and it’s hard to imagine they’ll offer anything new. Anything this would have made more sense last year, 20 years after the turn of the century, and when putting together new shoots and such was much harder, due to the pandemic restrictions.

Nostalgia sells, but I find this kind of embarrassing and obvious. Everyone/everything they mention on the cover has already been discussed ad nauseam and it’s hard to imagine they’ll offer anything new. Anything this would have made more sense last year, 20 years after the turn of the century, and when putting together new shoots and such was much harder, due to the pandemic restrictions.

Maybe they have a Britney exclusive, so that'd be new. But I doubt it.

Reactions: KoV
I just realized the upcoming season of American Crime Story 'Impeachment' focuses on the Clinton-Lewinsky's Scandal so it's kinda fitting I guess to see Monica's name on the cover.

But Elle Woods? Legally Blonde came out in 2001.

If they have a Britney exclusive and didn’t make it the cover, that would just be alarmingly stupid on their part.

Honestly, I would have loved and it would have made more sense if they had put Britney on the cover instead of Puff. I mean, this issue is dedicated to 1999 and it was Britney's breakout year.

But Elle Woods? Legally Blonde came out in 2001.

They're making a new one, but it's still weird timing cause it won't be out until summer next year.

With Britney on the cover and an exclusive interview, this issue would've sold like hotcakes. However, I doubt it's an exclusive.
The cover is nice, Diddy is sexy and the colors are striking. Works for me!

Everyone/everything they mention on the cover has already been discussed ad nauseam and it’s hard to imagine they’ll offer anything new.

I did have to ask myself - Vanity Fair has always been about nostalgia, which I've always enjoyed, so why am I sneering at this - and it's because I have no faith in them being able to say anything that hasn't been said before about such (relatively) recent events.

When the magazine used to do their yesteryear-in-Hollywood articles, I feel they were providing fresh information, because the industry's image was much more tightly controlled back then, and Vanity Fair also had access to the people who played a direct part in such events, so not only were there stories still to be told, we often got the information from first-hand sources.

But I could be wrong - there could be 'The Making of the Matrix' or a new interview with Monica Lewinski.

But I could be wrong - there could be 'The Making of the Matrix' or a new interview with Monica Lewinski.

I don’t have high hopes, but that would be nice. With a 4th Matrix movie coming out, I imagine there will be plenty said about the original closer to the publicity run for that. Plus, other magazines, like New York Magazine, have done recent deep-dives into the Matrix and it’s cultural impact. Monica is producing that show about the Clinton scandal, so I’m guessing this is effectively just promo for that. She’s already done an in-depth exclusive interview for Vanity Fair not long ago, anyway.

I'm surprised so many people here, are liking this cover.
I can't think of anyone less relevant or sexy, or compelling than Diddy.
I have no idea what this magazine stands for anymore.
Radhika Jones is like an American Farnetti.
Also, I think it's obvious that the theme is referencing the aughts, not 1999.

I can't think of anyone less relevant or sexy, or compelling than Diddy.

What are you talking about? :lol:
Just last year he appeared with his kids on the cover of Essence (a beautiful portrait btw), and the year before that on GQ.
He's relevant!

What are you talking about? :lol:
Just last year he appeared with his kids on the cover of Essence (a beautiful portrait btw), and the year before that on GQ.
He's relevant!

:rofl::lol:

Also, I think it's obvious that the theme is referencing the aughts, not 1999.

Girl, “1999” is written on the cover not once, but twice. The Matrix and Fight Club are 1999 films, Clinton was acquitted in 1999, Britney’s debut album was in 1999, etc. there is plenty of reason to believe they’re referencing 1999, mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->