Vanity Fair 'The Hollywood Issue' 2020 by Ethan James Green

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jan 14, 2020.

1. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

The only person who'll be looking back and hailing this as a great cover is Jennifer Lopez when she uses it as a comparson for how little she's aged in 2030.

MON and MissMagAddict like this.
  2. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict Well-Known Member

Forget it. JLo will never be accepted by the Hollywood elite.

Miss Dalloway and Benn98 like this.
  3. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Why?

4. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

The cover feels like a vast departure from previous Hollywood covers and for that alone I can appreciate it, but there just seems to be a huge disconnect between the subjects that I severely dislike. It's a shame too because Ethan James Green was on a complete roll with his Vogue covers!

5. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

I love this - particularly the humour.

It's pretty cool that they included Taika as well.

6. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

I love this cover and this shot!

7. mathiaskatz

mathiaskatz Well-Known Member

I love the shoot. Laura Dern :wub:

Still mad about Awkwafina and JLo's Oscar snubs.

8. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

When you see the full thing it's kind of interesting!

[​IMG]

instagram.com/vanityfair

Benn98 likes this.
  9. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

I actually really like the concept. It shows an interesting storytelling and much personality of the stars. The black and white portraits are quite beautiful too.

For me, I had a feeling that JLo would be snubbed since her Golden Globe lose. Her momentum died down and with the buzz around Florence Pugh's Little Women. And we have to admit that JLo isn't like Gaga in the Star is Born. Her role on Hustlers isn't an Oscars bait type. She was great in it but she has to play by the Oscars game too. And I think she tried but it wasn't as masterful as Gaga, which does suck. I am more annoyed by Akwafina and Eddie Murphy snubs tho. These two were incredible in their films and they actually held the films as leading character with firm grips.

Benn98 and MON like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Vanity Fair 'The Hollywood Issue' 2020

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Destination Hollywood

Photographer: Ethan James Green
    Set Design: Julia Wagner
    Stylist: Samira Nasr
    Hair: Danielle Priano, Jawara
    Makeup: Scott Barnes, Fulvia Farolfi
    Cast: Eddie Murphy, Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Lopez, Florence Pugh, Taik AWaititi, Daniel Kaluuya, Margaret Qualley, Awkwafina, Lily-Rose Depp Laura Dern, Willem Dafoe, Jennifer Hudson, Alfre Woodard, Roman Griffin Davis, Noah Jupe, Oakes Fegley, Da'vine Joy Randolph, Lili Reinhart, Park So-Dam, Taylor Russell, Antonio Banderas, Austin Butler, Beanie Feldstein

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Vanity Fair 'The Hollywood Issue' 2020

The Great Entertainers

Photographer: Ethan James Green
    Set Design: Julia Wagner
    Stylist: Samira Nasr
    Hair: Danielle Priano, Jawara
    Makeup: Scott Barnes, Fulvia Farolfi
    Cast: Eddie Murphy, Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Lopez, Florence Pugh, Taik AWaititi, Daniel Kaluuya, Margaret Qualley, Awkwafina, Lily-Rose Depp Laura Dern, Willem Dafoe, Jennifer Hudson, Alfre Woodard, Roman Griffin Davis, Noah Jupe, Oakes Fegley, Da'vine Joy Randolph, Lili Reinhart, Park So-Dam, Taylor Russell, Antonio Banderas, Austin Butler, Beanie Feldstein

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Must say I'm truly shocked at the utter cluelessness of Radhika Jones. But also at Anna Wintour for signing off on this blunder. So the cover is a gatefold, but it folds out to another image featuring exactly the same 3 celebs? The Hollywood cover is such a big currency for VF, why not feature the rest?
    Furthermore, why the need for black & white portraits if it's exactly the same cast as the main pictorial? It's one thing to complain that magazines are dead and budgets tight, but to then waste 12 pages and a decent budget like this shows that this woman has no idea how to edit a magazine.

Also, rest of the content? All Epstein, Weinstein, #blackexcellence, abusive power agents blah blah blah. Nothing wrong with that, but where's the escapism or light-hearted content to counter all the heavy stuff? She's sucked all the fun out of this magazine. Just another print issue I will gladly pass on.

13. MON

MON Well-Known Member

That foldout is as good as Vogue Italia foldouts - unnecessary and dumb.

aracic likes this.
  14. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Exactly - Vanity Fair is not produced to be a guide for people sitting sociology exams, it's supposed to be a disposable monthly rollercoaster ride through the highs and low of the entertainment industry. Stories about the seedier side only retain their thrill to a paying readership by existing in the shadows thrown by the bright lights of Hollywood glamour. You need both the dirt and the glamour to be at the forefront in order to create that balance of exciting content.