Versace F/W 2016.17 Milan

Completely soulless.

I'm sure Versace under Donatella (whom I adore) will never be relevant. It is a dead brand, living just for its past. Their efforts at bringing it to the future fail, and fail, and fail and fail again and again. There is no direction. I don't know what Versace is. I know what it was in the 90's but that's it.

Very BLAH and tacky

This is their least tacky collection in like the last 5 years. Lol.

I actually quite liked it. Especially the first half with all the blues - so pretty. Once more colors start popping, it's not as good, but not bad either.

The best thing about this collection is Donatella taking her bow. She is fabulous! I love her!

It is a very bland collection. It is not Versace in spirit neither in style. There is nothing vibrant about it.
It is actually quite Ghesquiere-ish.

It was hard to top that spring 2016.
I believe that she believe that this his the way to be relevant today but people who loves Versace loves it also because of the tackiness. Gianni elevated bad taste as art.

Personally, i will not go at Versace to buy a black pant or a nude patent oversized coat.
Her collections are so inconsistent...it kills me! From good (spring 2016), to bad (Couture) to good (Menswear)and then boring (this one)....and all in 6 months!

I think she's doing an great job at modernizing and keeping the bran with the times. The Versace "look" is outdated: that camp, sl*tty, in-your-face luxury, Ibiza/Miami party goer... women today don't want to look that. So she needed to step it up or see the brand get extinct, and she's doing that. It follows last season really well. The use of sportswear is great (way better than in the Atelier show), great tailoring, great colours, great styling. It doesn't look foreign to Versace, but it also looks like something that a woman that wouldn't want to wear Versace five years ago would be drawn to now.

She can't seem to find a happy medium...it's either tacky as hell Versace or this...which could've fallen under any of the NYFW brand. The clothes do no justice for the supermodel cast. It's not to say that it's bad, but this is dull and not much innovation, to boot.

There are beautiful pieces here, but the big part was MEH. I don't liked some shoes. I don't liked some dresses. I don't know, I don't felt the Versace essence.
Last season was SO MUCH better than this one. I'm also tired of those girls who walked the show and doesn't fit the brand at all...

Last Season was so good. What happened???? With all of the extravagance going on everywhere this just seems so irrelevant and lazy. This crisp sportswear look is tired, and coming from Versace just seems lazy. I would rather take tacky Versace over this basic bore. Next!

From the runway setup to the casting to the clothes themself, I have had enough. Where do I even begin ?

To me, the pieces lacked any sexiness or wow-factor that once was associated with Versace. The Italian glamour that I adored from the 00s is nowhere to be found. Instead, the Versace woman has been replaced with this unassured, timid, wilting flower that cannot decide if she wants to fit in or stand out. This leads me to my next gripe ... the casting. I don't normally talk about models, but I am tired of 50+ models that do not have the ability to sale these clothes. What happened to models making more than 1 or 2 exits ? I feel that in the earlier days, these women helped to portray an image, but instead having all of these models, some who look like they are playing dress up, traipse this obnoxious labyrinth of a runway (I am so sick of this setup) like it's some type of factory.

I am really tired of this because I truly loved Versace and thought that, even with its tacky moments, there was an appeal in it and an odd type of elegance and glamour that just is not there. Cut the crap, Donatella.

There really is no glamour left it feels sporty, the hair and make up is ugly, and that splash of colors in the end is really bad, it really does look like it was designed by Kane

those fur coats are somewhat nice though

Completely soulless.

I'm sure Versace under Donatella (whom I adore) will never be relevant. It is a dead brand, living just for its past. Their efforts at bringing it to the future fail, and fail, and fail and fail again and again. There is no direction. I don't know what Versace is. I know what it was in the 90's but that's it.

Agree 100%!
It is not Versace anymore. It is so bad, it is simply bad daywear with "Versace" Label. The menswear collection was more better that womenswear.
I like Donatella but her collections started to be- to be sincerely, they started to be ugly. Where is Versace in all this clothes? What is all about? It could be Emilio Pucci by Giorgetti we've seen yesterday... i don't see too much difference between both collections.
If Donatella will goes in same direction as she did last years than Versace will died forever.
The women is changed but who or about what -is the Versace Women now?
The sexiness of Versace- maybe many long legs but not the sexiness of creations.

I love it, there's a certain elegance to it which I've missed from Versace lately :heart:

After a great Spring and Pre-fall collection, this is disappointing. It lacks any excitement and it's not even an ugly collection this time. It's just extremely forgettable.

Surprised no one has commented on the introduction of the kitten heel on the Versace runway.
lol

One of the dullest Versace ever but needless to say that the brand is kind of in an identity crisis.

I think she's doing an great job at modernizing and keeping the bran with the times. The Versace "look" is outdated: that camp, sl*tty, in-your-face luxury, Ibiza/Miami party goer... women today don't want to look that. So she needed to step it up or see the brand get extinct, and she's doing that. It follows last season really well. The use of sportswear is great (way better than in the Atelier show), great tailoring, great colours, great styling. It doesn't look foreign to Versace, but it also looks like something that a woman that wouldn't want to wear Versace five years ago would be drawn to now.

But the campy luxury is the DNA of versace, if don't create some form of that then what's the point of this brand continuing if it's being something it's not? There is a way to do over the top sexy luxury that is modern, Donatella just doesn't seem to know how to do it right now.

I think the 'old' Versace, what many of you understand by sexy and glamorous (I don't), is long gone and just can't come back. It is something that belongs to another era. It isn't relevant. I'm sure no one would buy it. The new Versace is Balmain. Young tacky girls want Balmain. And mature tacky girls want what young tacky girls want. Versace is like from another time, it doesn't feel cool anymore.

Anyway, they are really failing at bringing this brand to the new world. But it is understandable too. Donatella is beyond old (and beyond adorable), she just can't do it. And she doesn't want to step down. The sad thing is that they are really trying. Look at Versus. Dontatella tried her best to find new designers who could revive the brand, tried to create hype around it... And they failed. No one cares about Versus. The same with these new collection, more focused in daywear... but they are soulless and irrelevant. There is no message. You don't get an idea of a brand with a collection like this.

As I said, I sadly think the problem here is that there isn't a big creative force behind this brand. They need a new talented designer who could do a total revamp of the brand, something à la Saint Laurent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disappointed, but it wasn't so bad.
I love love love the paillette work at the end.

Still, this was the coolest part of the show.

23f31d.gif

my gif

Well, i was always and be always a huge Versace fan. This collection is for sure- wearable. But i miss the sparkle, the extravaganza, the long beautiful dresses. That was Versace.
This collection look like ,,Versace sport,,- i like it, the short dresses with the palliates (why not more of it).
i hope she will return to the idea of Versace.

My main gripe with this -- and with many of Versace's collections for the past few years -- is the fact that they all skew young. Not youthful, young. Inexperienced, un-self assured, not worldly. I dunno, this new Versace girl just doesn't move me the way that the Versace woman once did. I do like the leggy proportion of long coat/short dress and some of the embellished or printed pieces are fun and playful and sexy, but I'd kill for some of the worldly, self-assured and self-aware swagger of the real Versace.

And to those bemoaning the lack of relevance for the "sl*tty/trashy party girl" aesthetic and how that doesn't exist anymore and never will again, mark my words, the pendulum WILL swing back. It always does. Just remember, to every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.

And to those bemoaning the lack of relevance for the "sl*tty/trashy party girl" aesthetic and how that doesn't exist anymore and never will again, mark my words, the pendulum WILL swing back. It always does. Just remember, to every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.

Of course it will, people will get bored of this normcore stuff and if world economies get better than the over the top clothes will come back. That's always how it worked, in times of crisis fashion is modest and subdued but in times of prosperity it's sexy and over the top. Just look at the past century. The thing is versace was born in a time of prosperity, so it's aesthetic will not easily fit this current time of understated fast paced fashion

Of course it will, people will get bored of this normcore stuff and if world economies get better than the over the top clothes will come back. That's always how it worked, in times of crisis fashion is modest and subdued but in times of prosperity it's sexy and over the top. Just look at the past century. The thing is versace was born in a time of prosperity, so it's aesthetic will not easily fit this current time of understated fast paced fashion
Well truthfully it's not even strictly economic. Don't forget, Balmainia reached its apex right as worldwide economies dove off a cliff circa '08/'09 and Halston hit his peak in the post-'70s recession disco era. It's got as much or more to do with where we're at socially as it does economically.

Right now we're in a place where ostentatious displays of wealth or affluence aren't considered stylish, where mores have become somewhat conservative despite some forms of social progress, where the aspirational has been replaced by the "attainable" and where hedonism has become something of a taboo. Basically we're in the post-AIDS crisis, post-Stock Market crash early 90s, the only difference being that back then there were a few people -- Gianni Versace among them, Alaia, Gaultier and Galliano as well -- who actively bucked what fashion dictated was "in" and produced some of their best work as a result.

It'll burst eventually. Every conservative period in history is always followed up by a decadent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->