Versace S/S 2011 Milan

I cant believe I havent posted!!!!

After seing the collection I was SO excited ... I mean its the best Donatella has been able to interpret her brothers legacy since his passing.

And letting that aside. Best Versace collection in God knows how many seasons!

The accesories, the dresses, the cut, the shoes, EVERYTHING came together tighly sealed. I am SO happy for Donatella and the team ... I just the reviews from the critics were just as good as the ones Ive read here on tFS.

I can't understand!
This collection have something, love it or hate it, cause, i know looooots of people in other forum that hate this colection and all here love it, strange!
I really don't liked it, the "italian" Gianni wanna-be theme was really bad, the prints almoust ridiculous, that was good at '90, but the worst was the accesories, those shoes and bags can't cost more than €10.

^ I don't think the collection is "trying to be Gianni". The Greek motif has simply been adapted into a younger and cleaner collection. It's much less blingy and more modern; the way it's been distorted and shredded makes it look kinda digital, kinda resembling a barcode. It's more of a reinvention of the print and less of a "wannabe theme".
And I personally loved the shoes, they're so funky and fresh B)

OMG
The accesories, they are sooo designed, lots of work and ideas happen here:
00110m.jpg

And this looks sooo expensive, lots of artesans made it for days!
00020m.jpg

Oh and the buttons, so sophisticated and luxurious!
00100m.jpg

Yes this collection was the Best of Versace!!! #IronicModeOn
:lol:
take with humor!

All images from style.com

Sorry, but I think your accessories debate is purely opinion-based. You probably don't find them appealing but like you said, the majority of the people who viewed this collection do. Yes, it's a simple collection for Versace but you have to remember (1) It's a summer collection (2) It's MEANT to be cleaner, whiter and on the minimal side. That was deliberate. (3) Just because it looks simple it doesn't mean it's not "sophisticated and luxurious" and (4) The days of the jungle print are over.

Anyways, take the collection however you like. I think it's much better than the last summer collection.

Actually it's really interesting. The Greek key print went from this:

0225200512121378_runway.jpg
10gvblt11002.jpg

elle ebay

to this:

01050m.jpg
00290m.jpg
00470m.jpg

style

I find it so refreshing.

I find it terrific!
Looks like a child draw it on the dress, yes, i really hate this collection, but i hate it cause i love Versace, and i really hope all this go away, and bring us the really Versace, SEXY and FEMININ.
The same happened to Dolce, in the 2006-2007 with that futurism-modern, and now they are very italian, hope the same from Versace, if that means Donatella out from the brand, well, it has to happen, cause now, Versace it's in a real bad situation.

Not to seem argumentative, but how in God's name is this collection not feminine? Because it's not girly? Because it's not floaty? Because it's not blinged out? Yeah those things are missing from the equation, but I think the fact that the majority of these clothes were cut to cling to every curve with seaming that draws attention to the lines of the body should count for something, no? I mean there certainly isn't anything androgynous about this collection, and it DEFINITELY isn't butch.

I stand by what I said months ago when this collection debuted. I really do believe that some people have an extremely narrow idea of what Versace is and should be. In the end it's not fair to the designer and the house.

I'm with get_fashion to be honest :lol:
Donatella built this defined idea of the Versace woman that can be sum up in 3 words:luxury,glamour,sexy...and those last 2 collections we've seen didn't look sexy or glamorous at all!Of course I'm not saying Versace collections always have to be sexy,with tons of high slit gowns and microskirts but they should be "on theme"...just an example of 2 shows which were different,minimalist and "edgy" but with the Versace spirit:Spring 2009 and Fall 2005...both oh them didn't have the usual cut out gowns,or the bombshell models but they were as gorgeous as the other ones...(just remember the gorgeous tea-cup minidresses,or the zipper details for SS09)
I find it absolutely sad and irritating that she is now destroying all the work she did in the past 7/8 years for what...I honestly don't think the sales are raising up that much because the new collections do not attract the typical Versace customer(they probably want to reach a new kind of clientele,but with all the bunch of edgy/quirky/young brands out there I don't think it's a good idea)

As for the collection,it was clearly the worst one ever made by Donatella,the prints looks extremely cheap and TACKY(but it's not the good tacky :lol: ),the dresses were too simple and didn't look luxurious at all.The accessories were good but I would save only the shoes because the bag are terrible(it bag??...don't make me laugh!)

Seriously a lot of people said this collection was the best from Versace and blah blah blah(said by people who usually love Prada,Miu Miu,Mcqueen and others "alternative" brands) and said it was feminine but if the dress on Ginta with those CHEAP blue print that Squizree posted is feminine,well then give me all the show stopping dresses Donatella made in past 8 years because those are MILES away from this sh!t

@Squizree...SS10 shows beats this one like 20000000000000 - 0 :lol:

I find it absolutely sad and irritating that she is now destroying all the work she did in the past 7/8 years for what...I honestly don't think the sales are raising up that much because the new collections do not attract the typical Versace customer(they probably want to reach a new kind of clientele,but with all the bunch of edgy/quirky/young brands out there I don't think it's a good idea)

This is the only part of your argument that seems to have any concrete point to it so I'll comment on it. I'm not sure where you've been the past 10 years (perhaps you're too young) but the whole reason why Donatella changed directions was because the company was losing sales, $300 Million years per year to be exact. Collections like S/S 04 and S/S 03 are what nearly drove Versace to bankruptcy. Therefore a change in aesthetic was necessary. Donatella cleaned up a lot, got rid of the cheap bling, left behind the overtanned-housewife look and emerged more creative.

Yes, Versace was in a TERRIFIC situation, that's why the haute couture shows was cancelled, she changed the direction, but now it's terrific!!!!, i think this clean shapes, minimalism, and asymmetrical cuts are just an excuse for CERO ideas.
Donatellas has to go, and all the creative group if they leave her doing this crap.
I don't know, maybe Dundas have to take part of Versace and make it better.
PD: Versace never was good in accesories and never sell a lot, that's the difficulty that it has, cause now, lots of brand sell more accesories that clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the only part of your argument that seems to have any concrete point to it so I'll comment on it. I'm not sure where you've been the past 10 years (perhaps you're too young) but the whole reason why Donatella changed directions was because the company was losing sales, $300 Million years per year to be exact. Collections like S/S 04 and S/S 03 are what nearly drove Versace to bankruptcy. Therefore a change in aesthetic was necessary. Donatella cleaned up a lot, got rid of the cheap bling, left behind the overtanned-housewife look and emerged more creative.
Thank you for pointing this out, because I find it kind of ridiculous that people are using this collection as some kind of example of how Dontella is "destroying" the house of Versace. I think it's important to remember that she very nearly did by refusing to change with the times. All of those collections that some people in here seem to consider among Donatella's best were the ones that, to my mind, were a sign of how little effort was going into the runway collections, not to mention a sign of how stagnant the house had become in only a few short years. This collection manages to take the house somewhere different AND pay homage to it's legacy which is a wonderful combination and which no doubt accounts for why so many people are praising this collection, people with all different kinds of taste as opposed to just the diehard Versace fans.

OK, this discussion has no end, i think is the worst Versace collection, you think is the best.

Just a second...if Versace sales were going that down,why did Donatella changed the Versace aestethic so radically after 8 years of "tacky and cheap bling" collections? :unsure:

...proud to be a diehard Versace fan! :lol: :woot:

Just a second...if Versace sales were going that down,why did Donatella changed the Versace aestethic so radically after 8 years of "tacky and cheap bling" collections? :unsure:

...proud to be a diehard Versace fan! :lol: :woot:
This change isn't exactly new, it's been in the air for a while. Look at collections like S/S and F/W 07, S/S 08, F/W 08. Hell, there are even similarities with F/W 06.

This collection isn't the radical departure you seem to think it is.

It's stream line Versace.

It's a nice, refreshing direction because I've always associated Versace with that sort of tacky-over-blinged-tanned-house-wife. Sure, it may not be the Versace that everyone knows and loves- but nonetheless it was a well designed collection. This collection is something that I'd NEVER expect Donatella to every do and she pulled it off in a very clean up, strict manner- so for that aspect, I can give her credit. I enjoyed the sort of distorted, colorful Greek-esque geometric prints that looked as if someone pulled it down while it was scanning and resulted in this distorted pattern (Thank god no floral print).

In any case, there will be the Fall/Winter 2011/2012 coming out soon for Versace that everyone can go crazy in love (or hate) with so let this collection stand on its own 2 feet and exist. Fashion moves fast, Donatella hasn't slipped, she may have felt the need to take a break from that sultry Versace image and it clean up a bit.

^ So true. The amount of change this brand has undergone is amazing. And the fact that Versace can stand up in such a vicious environment against man-eating packs like LVMH is a testimony of that positive and forward change. Same goes for Prada and Armani.

I'm sorry Squizree but first you say that Versace FW06 is your favorite collection ever but at the same time you're arguing this show is much better than other previous tacky-cheap bling things Donatella has done...I think there's something off about that because the 2 shows are like the opposite... :lol:

73GO6.jpg
ZLWrS.jpg
etrB7.jpg
wq686.jpg

style

Isn't it enough "the cheap bling,overtanned-housewife look" ?? :lol:

^ What does this have to do with anything we're talking about? Sure, I like FW06 (best season of our time in my opinion!). It showed how much Donatella had reduced and watered down from cheap stuff like this:

100064966.jpg
100064977.jpg
100088304.jpg

I love FW06 because it doesn't go overboard with phosphorus baby colours, see-thru materials, necklines down to the bellybutton, slits up to the hip and blinding sequins. It was sexy, glamorous and very Versace but doesn't make women look like insecure sex-objects (explaining why WAY more celebs wore this collection that previous ones). I'm not saying those past collections are ugly, in fact I like them they're exciting to look at (and had some very good looks in them), but there's NO way a woman can wear some of those clothes and be taken seriously. A woman walking in to a party with a dress like this is probably going to be an attention-seeking trendwhore aka cheap blingy overtanned housewife. Personally, I don't have much respect for a woman who is willing to show this much meat:

100115918.jpg

All photos from style.

Anyways, I really don't see how you can not understand my point. It's simple really. No one wants to wear blinged out rubbish that makes you look like a insecure stripper. Take it however you want, but there's a very good reason why those past collections nearly caused Versace to go bankrupt. And btw you left out the rest of the FW06 collection, which looks nothing like those gowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->