Virginie Viard - Designer, Creative Director of Chanel

PPP got thrown out Valentino for reasons...

Hedi's noncompete doesn't matter, Chanel can wait, they have the financials for (they aren't Gucci or Burberry) and there are certainly many upcoming collections already in the pipeline.

Plus nobody will see a difference between a VV collection or a studio collection.

So Chanel can wait, for Hedi or for Nicolas too.
What are the reasons?

It has been confirmed that the mens show they are filming this month is his last mens collection for the brand
Ok. Is the last men’s collection his last collection for Celine? Is he involved with Resort 2025 Womenswear?

So, as I said, if he is indeed going to Chanel, they will either pay an insane amount of money to break the non-competition or wait 1 year.

thank you. I'm blasting it in my office RN. :lol:

My only worry is that VV resigned because she got squeezed by the CFO and couldn't sell her soul any longer. Is this a possibility? If so, it's a bad sign...

I think Jeremy Scott of Moschino would be the best designer for this job , his work at Moschino was more Chanel than Virginie's. Hedi is too tied up with LVMH for them to let him go.

From what I recall in article years back. Scott was one of the only designers Karl saw as his successor.

Last edited:
God I don’t know if I can wait it’s like an election. The most prestigious job in fashion is vacant!

I really don’t think much of Hedi’s contract at Celine IF rumors are to be believed. I really thought it would lapse last year given he started February 2018. It was more than 5 years since then and I assumed he just renewed. the rumors last month gave me doubts. Now, as of the moment the latest outputs they posted were from January 2024, a month before 6 years. If they really want him, I don’t think buying out a non-compete would be out of the question. They conjured up an iceberg in the Grand Palais after all.

It’s practically more of a question of how much of Celine belongs to him. The IP’s. Store designs, formulations, and media collaterals that they would continue to use past his alleged exit. That lit marble slab about to be installed in a store somewhere in Asia could cost millions. Sounds preposterous but I wouldn’t put it past him. Photographs were an issue (and a lawsuit) last time at Saint Laurent, no?

Whether Hedi finally gets the job, I’m very surprised by how people seems to be excited to see the same act for the 3rd time at another house.
Apparently, I’m one of the few that is already bored by the B&W campaigns with captions in capital letters with Hedi Slimane credited in everything.
I’m already bored by the endless combinations of very expensive basics presented in luscious ways.

Giving the prices of Chanel currently, I’m also surprised that men would be excited to spend 8K for a tweed jacket by Hedi Slimane.

If I didn’t buy one piece of item by Virginie, the perspective of having Hedi as a CD wouldn’t make me change my tune…Even if I bought a menswear look from his Celine.

good riddance!

I don’t think Sarah Burton would be a good fit for Chanel… worse would be PPP, as I’ve read a few posts on Instagram praising him… just no.
I’m not sure either of Hedi (we all know he wants it).
Riccardo is not on the cards is he? he could it maybe but I think he’d be perfect for Versace or maybe just his own brand?

I want Thom Browne, Tomas Maier, maybe Olivier Theyskens or even Dries VN (but he retired…).

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about Jeremy Scott and him possibly being appointed, I'm not so mad at the idea but I can't imagine him being in such a MAJOR position...

I would LOVEEEE Marc to be at the helm, he's just lazy and doing whatever with his own brand at the moment but give him the budget he'll make Chanel dreamy again!

3P was able to make hot pink a thing. I was at the mall getting lunch just now and the sea of hot pink tops people are wearing is unmissable.

3P was able to make hot pink a thing. I was at the mall getting lunch just now and the sea of hot pink tops people are wearing is unmissable.
And it’s now at the mall level lol. His pink is already tacky and passe and that’s really the only trend he produced after the rock stud 10+ years ago.

ppp was a thing only for 2 seasons then it was all the same confused mess of flowy fabrics. He cant handle Chanel. Tisci would really be interesting if he isnt lazy anymore. his rtw and couture collections were miles apart but both had some nice things and his Burberry always had 3 different parts which shows even at his laziest, he had enough ideas.

I did not see this news coming at all, after the most recent financial results.
Despite what Leena Nair was saying in the press, Chanel must have considered some of the very negative recent sentiments around the creative output of the brand.

I'm also happy for Virginie she has been let go, she was never suited for the role. It's almost like her sense of duty to Karl made her take the position in the first place. I feel like a Chanel employee she had a great run (not counting her last years as CD). I hope she can enjoy other things in life now. Fortunately, I think her life was about more than just fashion.

I think her successor is already known and ready in place, the timing of such announcement by Chanel must be very strategically planned.

MISS TWEED
Fashion Merry-Go-Round Series: 2-Hedi Slimane prepares to leave Celine

07/04/2024

"A member of his first circle told me that Hedi was leaving but we don't know when," a senior manager at Celine told Miss Tweed on condition of anonymity.

Viard, who stepped into Lagerfeld's big shoes after he passed away in February 2019, embodied continuity. She was his right hand for many years. Viard has powered Chanel's growth and helped it remain one of the industry's most desirable brands. Now 61, the designer may want to move on and enjoy life, sources close the brand say. Or she may be asked to leave to allow Slimane to join and give Chanel fresh impetus and momentum. Slimane would centralize and coordinate the brand's image and communication, which has been going in different directions recently, industry insiders find. Viard sticks to design. Clearly, you sense there are other sensibilities than hers behind the brand's communication beyond its clothes. When Lagerfeld was in charge, he decided everything. All of the brand's messages were coherent.

reminder of this old snipped :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->