Vivienne Westwood's "Active Resistance to Propaganda" Manifesto

brian

Reaction score
My manifesto is very short, concentrated and difficult to absorb in one go. Please read it through; there are surely some points which will arrest your thoughts and I hope that you will be interested enough to re-read it.
Its principle idea is that you get out of life what you put in and that real experience of the world involves thinking; it is not enough to follow world politics, see films and read the prize-winning best seller. This is superficial, you need to go deep in order to understand who you are, what the world is and how things could be better. This involves culture which can only be acquired by self-education: human beings should mirror the world.
My aim is to make a statement about what I know others must think; that is why I have written, ‘Intellectuals Unite!’

I want to get across the following:-
i. Separate the idea of true culture from the anthropological version.
ii. Make the point that scepticism is the underlying factor for ideas including the idea of progress. Our culture is stagnant. We need to question everything.
iii. Tell young people that every time they e.g. look up a word in the dictionary, e.g. look at paintings instead of a magazine, etc, they are thinking and therefore part of a resistance movement (they can get a badge, AR.- Active Resistance to Propaganda).

I think I now need to write an additional text to accompany and further explain the manifesto.
I would like to publish a book of essays of practical help towards self-cultivation of ideas. My essay ‘Looking at Painting for Beginners’ could be included.

The Gold Label show I will present in Paris on October 4th is called AR. I am using my show to present the ideas of my campaign- lots of badges and graphics- great T shirts- instead of seeing Che Guevara on peoples chests I thought why not put Rembrandt on a T shirt, he wore a beret and was just as revolutionary. The theme is that there is a secret revolution going on, a resistance movement in town, Active Resistance to Propaganda.
I have included the political T’shirt, ‘I am not a TERRORIST, please don’t arrest me’ which is a protest against the British government’s attempts to take away our legal rights. There is a new badge for Leonard Peltier

- Vivienne Westwood

active_resistance.jpg

:mohawk:

frankly ....
i am frightfully disappointed in the youth of the world...
they all seem spoiled and soft...

they don't get angry about anything...
they worship money and media stars...
and they all seem to mindlessly just follow the herd...

*** 'the revolution will not be televised'......................

unless they make a reality show out of it
...:innocent:...

:ninja:

I almost wish they would televise it, for us who can't be in paris but would like to. Or at least provide a video on the internet (more likely.)

Go Vivienne!

yay! go viv!

most forget that rebellion is an important aspect of justice.

I LOVE YOU BRIAN!! You always seem to be the main proponent of the Westwood info and worship on this forum. THANKYOU. I am forever indebted :flower:

Ity has been a long time since there has been a true revolutionary cultural movement. The last great one was in the 60s. Britpop and 90s grunge etc came next but it was a superficial pseudo-revolutionary movement more concerned with appearance than substance -even though it was very attractive nonetheless. Vivienne has really hit on the right time to get people moving again. 'Stagnant' really is the word to describe things. However whether people will really get mobilised and rise to the challenge is another thing. I think TFS should join in somehow -any suggestions?

Argh.. It's nice and all, but hard to take seriously. How much for the badge?

^ it would be disappointing if viv charged ridiculous amounts for her badges and t-shirts.

^ I think it is amazing but the problem is who outside fashion circles will listen to her. She needs to do a Slimane and get musicians on board. That is when things get rovolutionary. Fashion rocks eh?

SiennaInLondon said:
^ I think it is amazing but the problem is who outside fashion circles will listen to her. She needs to do a Slimane and get musicians on board. That is when things get rovolutionary. Fashion rocks eh?

Yeah, true. Getting musicians involved would be amazing :woot:

I really hope I can afford at least one item because I am in total agreeance with her manifesto.^_^

maybe viv should start a school/ retreat for up and coming designers and artists etc. Fabrica, run by United Colors of Benetton, is a place for artists and designers to unite and collaborate, and it's free for the chosen few. they also have a magazine called Colors. perhaps viv should think beyond the slogan t-shirts? :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
travolta said:
maybe viv should start a school/ retreat for up and coming designers and artists etc. Fabrica, run by United Colors of Benetton, is a place for artists and designers to unite and collaborate, and it's free for the chosen few. they also have a magazine called Colors. perhaps viv should think beyond the slogan t-shirts? :innocent:

Oh wow, I had never heard of that before! What a great idea!!! :woot:

Musicians on board? A la Bono? Live Aid? I'd like to teach the world to sing?

Form over substance.

What Westwood wants is self-enculturation. 95% of 'musicians' now working are part of the problem, not the solution.

btw. it doesn't have to be as large scale as a school. it could be a program, contest or a scholarship fund for young people who are putting themselves out there who aren't connected or necessarily in the know. it doesn't even have to be about fashion, or rock stars. :wink:

it also could be funded/ set up by several different people or companies who have the means and the connections to do so.

^That is a good idea Travolta but she has to be able to draw the line so that it doesn't become too establishment. It can't end up like Sundance you know with the whole press junkets and big names.

Having musicians on board doesn't have to be Live Aid as Hedi Slimane has shown. But then I am of the belief that Doherty is a true icon so who knows. Plus that is how Westwood started out in the first place with the Pistols and Malcolm McLaren... but that is an era that will be next to impossible to recreate. She'll have to go in a new direction altogether.

You have to remember Vivienne is not young anymore and she will have a tough time getting this thing to people and starting a movement.

^ that's true. i hear Fabrica is grappling with those same issues... i guess as long as the core manifesto is kept in check: widespread, accessible, and encouraging young people to think and create, then it doesn't have to mutate into some monstrosity. imho, 'subverting' the system often seems to be approached as both the end and the means, therefore nothing really gets solved. if she actually wants to concentrate on a realistic strategy for getting young people involved and empowered then she should think simple and pragmatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->