Vogue Australia September 2018 : Kylie Jenner by Jackie Nickerson

Vogue Viewpoint
Photographer: Jake Terrey
Stylist: Philippa Moroney
Model: Ondria Hardin

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

This is such a solid issue.

There’s an ease of flow from page to page, and every single story has a strong mood. It’s a shame the sleekness is ruined by the Kylie Jenner amateur coverstory (and an Elton John feature. Nobody cares for him.). And unless it’s Kylie and her mum that’s dictating the cheapness of the styling and concept that only makes her look like some discount-rate brand, the fault is completely with Jackie. She’s so horrifically untalented. Why does she continue to get work???

(And why is Richard Burbridge’s Legends Of The Fall from the current W’s September issue reappearing here— retitled as Press Reset??? Odd.)

Yikes! This news, and the shockingly rapid likes UK Glamour reaped with their Kylie covers will mean we'll see more of her soon. But does it mean every Kylie cover will have to be packaged with a sample kit in order to sell? Because the skeptic in me wants to believe it's the actual kit, which was reissued with the 2nd print issue, which kept everyone buying.

No wonder we have Dakota Johnson on the Vogue Australia's October cover. She's known to sell extremely well with millennials.

Vogue's September re-print success owed to Jenner cover

By Lindsay Bennett | 18 September 2018

vogue-australia-september-2018_cover2.jpg

The Vogue September issue

When Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Edwina McCann put Kylie Jenner on the cover of its September 2018 issue, she predicted it would be the best-selling cover ever. What she didn’t predict was that it would be reprinted to keep up with demand and become the fastest-selling cover ever in Vogue Australia history.

The cover, which featured a make-up free Jenner, sold out in just three days and marked the first time the beauty businesswoman had been on the cover of Vogue globally.

Speaking to AdNews, McCann said Vogue wanted to tap into the fascination surrounding Jenner, with her new baby and burgeoning beauty brand, but also wanted to use her appeal to convert younger readers to Vogue subscribers.

“We put Kylie on the cover because she would appeal to a Gen Z audience and at Vogue we want to continue to appeal to young audiences, as well as keep our older audiences up-to-date with who’s who in that younger demographic,” McCann said.

“In my editor's letter of the next issue I did write that I felt many younger readers would have purchased Vogue for the first time with the September issue and to those that come back in October, I hope that they had a great experience and enjoyed the magazine so much that they will come back and buy us again and perhaps consider becoming Vogue members or subscribers.”

Each advertiser that had an insert running in the September magazine, such as the Sydney Airport which had a booklet inserted, had the option of not being involved in the reprint.

McCann said all of the insert advertisers reinvested in the reprint and the hype around the issue created “enormous advertiser interest".

“It has also opened up some really interesting conversations with clients such as L'Oreal about the combination of working with celebrity and how we can better integrate everything that we are doing with our digital audience and the celebrity’s digital audience, who we can access with our covers and the content we create, to get people to trial new beauty products,” she said.

There was also a Kylie Cosmetics beauty integration for the issue with each magazine, packaged with a Lip Kit valued at $12.99.

Connecting with younger audiences continues to be a focus for Vogue, said McCann, with the October issue also featuring younger talent.

Source: Andnews.com.au

Last edited:
i also suspect the Lip Kit might have something to do with the sales.. correct me if i'm wrong but i think the only way to buy her products in Australia otherwise is online. That's not to diminish Edwina's savvy with this cover, because any print magazine that does a reprint in today's magazine world is a huge achievement. I vaguely remember reading that Princess Mary's first Vogue Australia cover was also a blockbuster... sans lip kit that is.

Sounds like it was win-win for the magazine and the cover model. As well as for the readers, or perhaps more accurately, "purchasers".

Given that UK magazines seem to bundled with free items more often than not, I wonder how much of an effect they generally have on sales? I can certainly remember buying several copies of some issues to get more of a certain hand cream or something similar.

Vogue Japan also uses this tactic most of the time. i don't know if it's just because Japan has some of the best licensing contracts around, but they give away some pretty cool stuff too.. like a gucci keychain or a Fendi notebook! Vogue Australia usually gives away pretty lame gifts, I once got a beach bag with Jean Paul Gaultier and Vogue logos on it. The lip kit appeals to non-Vogue readers, which i think is why it's so effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->