Vogue China September 2005 : Premier Issue by Patrick Demarchelier

Beautiful cover. I like the haribands and styling. I think Gemma looks really beautiful here, one of my favourite shots of her and the other models are beautiful, especially the first one.

Whats with the headbands? is it some sort of kung fu reference or something…The cropping and composition is really poor IMO…it’s as if they couldn’t decide on going with the proper classical, formal composition where they are lined up perfectly shoulder to shoulder, or a casual thing where they look like they’re just moping about with their arms around each other’s shoulders being buddies or something…so the results are kinda half-***ed…

urmm am I the only one who finds gemma’s presence there unnecessary and awkward if not more than a tad offensive? I mean why the token white model? is the magazine trying to create some sort of international credibility by placing a international model on its cover? is it to show racial diversity and community acceptance of in modern china? moreover I suppose gemma is the one who sticks out so I guess it would make sense to put her center? but can it be that simple? I don’t think you’d need to be overly sensitive to interpret as a xenophobic statement. also gemma’s vaguely asian look makes it even more puzzling. I mean just what is the magazine trying to say exactly? is is trying to say that white is better and prettier cause look she’s front and center and who cares about the Asians in frumpy brown in the background. or is it that white people are in fact ugly…but if they looked more asian they’d be better looking and be more accepted in Chinese society…OR is it that asian people are the ugly ones and they should all try to look to look at least a little white, the ideal being gemma…there are so many mixed messages, and none of them good.

nouveau said:
Whats with the headbands? is it some sort of kung fu reference or something…The cropping and composition is really poor IMO…it’s as if they couldn’t decide on going with the proper classical, formal composition where they are lined up perfectly shoulder to shoulder, or a casual thing where they look like they’re just moping about with their arms around each other’s shoulders being buddies or something…so the results are kinda half-***ed…

urmm am I the only one who finds gemma’s presence there unnecessary and awkward if not more than a tad offensive? I mean why the token white model? is the magazine trying to create some sort of international credibility by placing a international model on its cover? is it to show racial diversity and community acceptance of in modern china? moreover I suppose gemma is the one who sticks out so I guess it would make sense to put her center? but can it be that simple? I don’t think you’d need to be overly sensitive to interpret as a xenophobic statement. also gemma’s vaguely asian look makes it even more puzzling. I mean just what is the magazine trying to say exactly? is is trying to say that white is better and prettier cause look she’s front and center and who cares about the Asians in frumpy brown in the background. or is it that white people are in fact ugly…but if they looked more asian they’d be better looking and be more accepted in Chinese society…OR is it that asian people are the ugly ones and they should all try to look to look at least a little white, the ideal being gemma…there are so many mixed messages, and none of them good.

The headbands: Prada and fall trends in general. I only like them on Axl Rose, but whatever...

Gemma: She looks vaguely Asian, she's a top model, it's referring to the Sept 2004 American Vogue cover and it's displaying a certain type of facial structure which in some cultures is perceived as beautiful. It's a display of how a very "Caucasian" looking blonde girl can have a strong similarity to Asian looking girls. You really have to stretch that to make it racist, I believe.

nouveau said:
I totally agree. This cover is disgusting and embarrassing, not to mention a step backward for Chinese fashion and culture. Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
metal-on-metal said:
I totally agree. This cover is disgusting and embarrassing, not to mention a step backward for Chinese fashion and culture. Pathetic.

Sadly it´s not a step back.
They are on that level, to me the cover is SO chinese.
Fashion in china has a long way to go

[b said:
EDISON27[/b]]
"I bought the first issue tonight,the chinese name of it means"Fashion and Beauty",it was really sucks:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Sooooooooooo unVogue!!!!".

Yes that´s not surprising either.
I think all the chinese verisons of foreign magazines are really bad.

They have no quality thinking. Everything has to go fast and cost no money.
well... which is no difference to the western way.
But they take it to extremes.

And i´m not posting this because i dislike China. Hence the opposite,
these news disappoint me.
I just came back to Europe after one year over there.
And it was one of the richest and most interesting years of my life.

But regarding working in fashion it was quite a downer...

the cover looks absolutely terrible... the styling, the makeup... and it just seems they put gemma there because she's a more internationally successful model, and perhaps they think that may make it sell better? :yuk:

I'm just happy there's a Vogue China. As for Gemma on the cover...I like her so I'm not complaining but it is sort of...random. btw when is it coming out exactly?

meowmix said:
the cover looks absolutely terrible... the styling, the makeup... and it just seems they put gemma there because she's a more internationally successful model, and perhaps they think that may make it sell better? :yuk:

The cover isn't terrible they all look rather fabulous. But I agree that they put Gemma on the cover perhaps purely for sale purposes. It is their first issue...they kind of need it to sell. :innocent:

I think putting Gemma on the cover is to enhance the magazine's international "value." I doubt Gemma is well known in China.

they do look quite fab...the two bridesmaids eaily steals the scene from gemma imo...but whatever no matter how good the look this cover is still inexcusable...i mean what were they thinking!...it doesn't take a expert in semiotics to see whats going on here...i just can't decide if the people behind this are racist or just plainly ********...

i love the fact that they didnt use some previous editorial pic from brit or american vogue. and ur right gemma fits right in u dont even notice the difference. cute cover

nouveau said:
they do look quite fab...the two bridesmaids eaily steals the scene from gemma imo...but whatever no matter how good the look this cover is still inexcusable...i mean what were they thinking!...it doesn't take a expert in semiotics to see whats going on here...i just can't decide if the people behind this are racist or just plainly ********...

Gosh, you make it sound like it's unheard of to put international models on the covers of national mags. You do know that Greek Vogue proudly use old American Vogue editorial shots for their cover, right? They all use international models - the only issue of Vogue that is clearly biased toward "their own people" is Vogue Brasil - and of course American Vogue is outside all this since they will only use people who are promoting major merch other than clothes. Chances are Chinese Vogue will be using international models as well, and if they don't they will be the first!

First issue of Vogue Korea: Linda Evangelista
Vogue Russia: Kate Moss and Amber Valetta
Vogue Japan: Kate Moss and Ai (see below, iconography)

Attachments

• VONippon199909_00.jpg
    VONippon199909_00.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 267
Mamba said:
Here's the medium version! Scanned by Saki via MSN!^_^
<- please do not quote pictures. if you need to refer to one, do so by postnumber/position. Thank you ->

Oh thank you for the scan Mamba ! And thank you Saki :flower:

iluvjeisa said:
Gosh, you make it sound like it's unheard of to put international models on the covers of national mags. You do know that Greek Vogue proudly use old American Vogue editorial shots for their cover, right? They all use international models - the only issue of Vogue that is clearly biased toward "their own people" is Vogue Brasil - and of course American Vogue is outside all this since they will only use people who are promoting major merch other than clothes. Chances are Chinese Vogue will be using international models as well, and if they don't they will be the first!

First issue of Vogue Korea: Linda Evangelista
Vogue Russia: Kate Moss and Amber Valetta
Vogue Japan: Kate Moss and Ai (see below, iconography)

you're missing the point...the problem isn't gemma's prescence there but rather how the shot is choreographed which comes across as racist and very blatantly so...i'm not even going to tell you to take a good look at it because it's that obvious

iluvjeisa said:
The headbands: Prada and fall trends in general. I only like them on Axl Rose, but whatever...

Gemma: She looks vaguely Asian, she's a top model, it's referring to the Sept 2004 American Vogue cover and it's displaying a certain type of facial structure which in some cultures is perceived as beautiful. It's a display of how a very "Caucasian" looking blonde girl can have a strong similarity to Asian looking girls. You really have to stretch that to make it racist, I believe.

I've often read comments that Gemma (arguably the top Western model today) and a few other top models have a faintly Asian look. Perhaps the cover is pointing out that though we are different, we're more alike than we might think, and we can be friends.

They're intending to sell magazines, so I doubt they're trying to send a racist or condescending message.

I too like the model at the left--her makeup is great, and love the shape of her lips.

fashionista-ta said:
I've often read comments that Gemma (arguably the top Western model today) and a few other top models have a faintly Asian look. Perhaps the cover is pointing out that though we are different, we're more alike than we might think, and we can be friends.

They're intending to sell magazines, so I doubt they're trying to send a racist or condescending message.

I too like the model at the left--her makeup is great, and love the shape of her lips.

yeah i agree that that was probably the intention...i mean why would they wanna be suicidal...but unwittingly they've ended up with this more than subtly white supremist cover...i'm just not sure consumers are gonna think "well i'm sure they didn't mean it so that makes it okay..."

yourbestfriend said:
the girl next to gemma on the left is very striking
I love her too.
She won the china model contest in 2002.
She's from Shanghai.
I remember she's good at dancing...ballet i think.:wink:

Attachments

• 上海女模杜鵑.jpg
    上海女模杜鵑.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh