Vogue España August 2020 : Miriam Sánchez by Miguel Reveriego

horrible VS. It's like a 90's millenial modern people magazine.

They have a beautiful model, great location and a beautiful red dress and this is what they presented? They should have kept that image for the editorial and shot in studio for the cover

It had the makings of a good cover - all dressed up with nowhere to go, standing alone in the street like the last woman alive - but it ended up looking like nothing, aside from the artificially saturated colours, and art direction that sees Miriam being out-modelled by a stone building.

I get the whole "silence" concept and everything, but I must say that the close-up with the headpiece would make an insanely gorgeous cover.

On the other hand, I always find their art direction gorgeous! It's always elegant, classy with modern twists that creates such a great look.

Not so good a cover. But gorgeous issue. There’s a simple, honest and urgent relevance to the times we’re in without any desperately-seeking-the-masses-approval grandstanding/virtue-signalling/identity-politics that certain Vogues have stooped to. All the fashion stories are full of life/hope/grace/joy/glamour, all the while referencing the times we’re in. And the story of everyday women is quietly regal and endearing with the imagery (of which certain Vogues can take a hint from…). Not a single note of sanctimony and self-importance (take note, a certain Vogue).

(The coverstory is clearly shot in-studio then digitally imposed into the gorgeous locales. But it’s done well and with thought. Beautiful and very melancholic.)

All shoots are horrible, anti-natural and overrated, vulgar and soulless !

Woow this is so bad from the casting to the styling and hair/makeup. I would have been embarrassed to have my name printed.

^^^ I fail to see any sigh of vulgarity...

Woow this is so bad from the casting to the styling and hair/makeup. I would have been embarrassed to have my name printed.

Is your heart colder than mine LOL

It’s not comparable to what the best of the Greats of the industry can conjure up, of course. However, it doesn’t feel nor looks so contrived as to pander to the commoners. The cast of mostly unknowns outshines the far more famous names. Nico’s "A Su Manera" is that sort of production that easily outsmarts what i-D/Dazed were so good at in their prime: Strong-looking, diverse cast of mainly unknowns that leave an impression with their sheer force of presence and connection to one another in the shots. It all feels like a genuine moment in time rather than a professional shoot. (Benn’s left out the lovely “Promesas De Luz” with everyday Spanish women, which is shot and produced with the same level of care that the fashion stories are— unlike so many Vogues that just settle for selfies/facetime pics when it comes tot ordinary people.)

On the other hand, I always find their art direction gorgeous! It's always elegant, classy with modern twists that creates such a great look.

Vogue Spain/Latin America/Mexico have proven they’ve consistently excelled with their art direction, down to the smallest detail. The art team absolutely deserves credit for doing the best with what little they have. Not a fan of this new cursive type, but they’ve made it worked within the pages— just not so well for the cover.

No, the new font is not me. I know for many the first instinct would be to think it's chic, but it's not very legible. I couldn't spot an 'a' from an 'o'. I hope they've just tried it for this issue because I think the font can only get worse as we go into winter when they'll publish more studio shoots or editorials with dark settings.

Usually, Miriam's edit would be a filler next to a really strong cover edit. That's how high Vogue Spain's are. I don't see that in this issue, it seems very aimlessly put together. And more importantly, it doesn't even make me anticipate September.

^^^ Shame that the main story’s styling is horrible. It’s saved by the digitally-produced exterior spreads— in particular the inclusion of the last 3 spreads of empty locales that conjure a surreal chilling reference to Giorgio de Chirico's imagery. Once connected with “A Su Manura”, “Ayer Como Hoy” and “Saludo Al Sol”, there’s an overarching, lovely story of a quiet joy to a way of life. It’s all mood and tone, and not aimless at all. I actually find it all genuinely sweet.

^^^ Shame that the main story’s styling is horrible. It’s saved by the digitally-produced exterior spreads— in particular the inclusion of the last 3 spreads of empty locales that conjure a surreal chilling reference to Giorgio de Chirico's imagery. Once connected with “A Su Manura”, “Ayer Como Hoy” and “Saludo Al Sol”, there’s an overarching, lovely story of a quiet joy to a way of life. It’s all mood and tone, and not aimless at all. I actually find it all genuinely sweet.

Not a phrase I'd ever associate with your vocabulary, lol.

giphy.gif

Giphy

Agreed. Everything is boring and BAD !!! Have they put any efforts whatsoever??? I hate it all !

^^^ I fail to see any sigh of vulgarity...
Is your heart colder than mine LOL

Well for me it is simple. If years ago, with lesser ways of taking photos, of getting post-production technics and lesser brands etc, magazines managed to be good and still be referenced in 2020. Then, any magazine should at least be decent.

If taking the risk to do some shoots during the pandemic, be sure to risk your lives and others to produce some very good contents. I'd rather have 6 images but very good than 12 pages of pure boredom and ugliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"