Vogue Italia September 2021

I like the first cover (beach), the rest are unnecessary.

I can’t believe that I’m typing this but the beach cover is absolutely gorgeous. Probably my favorite cover of the month.

The beach cover is beautiful, because it's just a beautiful photograph. Has absolutely nothing to do with fashion.
The rest are whatever, tbh. Farnetti was a terrible editor, but I agree that he takes too much of the blame for the weird mess Vogue Italia has become.
It takes an entire team to ruin a magazine, and Vogue Italia has many destroyers, who are still employed. As I've said here many times, Franca was on her literal death bed, and she
still manages to leave this earth with an iconic goodbye issue.

and Vogue Italia has many destroyers, who are still employed. As I've said here many times, Franca was on her literal death bed, and she

What do you mean? can you explain? Thanks

The beach cover is beautiful, because it's just a beautiful photograph. Has absolutely nothing to do with fashion.
The rest are whatever, tbh. Farnetti was a terrible editor, but I agree that he takes too much of the blame for the weird mess Vogue Italia has become.
It takes an entire team to ruin a magazine, and Vogue Italia has many destroyers, who are still employed. As I've said here many times, Franca was on her literal death bed, and she
still manages to leave this earth with an iconic goodbye issue.

He was the EIC— he signed off on every single person working under him. He deserves the scorn. (I highly doubt the ridiculously offensive “art direction” that this Vogue was obnoxiously plagued with will reappear again. It was simply ugly, faux-amateur and annoyingly distracting. And Emanuel allowed this to happened under his editorship. No one is to be blamed but him.)

BTW, the beach covershot is a solid concept (tho a tad too Lost for my taste)— just poorly executed with the digital-composition. The people look so poorly cut-and-pasted into the background even in such a low-res file.

It takes an entire team to ruin a magazine, and Vogue Italia has many destroyers, who are still employed. As I've said here many times, Franca was on her literal death bed, and she still manages to leave this earth with an iconic goodbye issue.
The last years of Franca were really bad actually if I recall well.

The last years of Franca were really bad actually if I recall well.

Yeah, you do. Many of the editorials were wonderful during that time, but the art direction inside the magazine was incredibly dated and overdue for a change.
Although I personally didn't see this at the time, Giovanni Bianco's creative direction was like a breath of fresh air. Naturally, he had his ups and downs but overall he was good for Vogue Italia. And then Verderi's arrival ruined everything.

^^^ Anyone would have been better than this current person. Giovanni was passable, but he’s a more capable book designer than a magazine designer. (I always liken a book designer as a sprinter, while a magazine designer would be the equivalent of a marathon runner that required endurance to last from issue to issue.) Frankly, Franca’s AD wasn’t even good either after Fabien’s departure. But the high standard of photography, creative direction and a consistently impressive showcase of storytelling more than overrode the art direction, that it didn’t matter. High fashion storytelling was Franca’s untouchable talent. Sadly, storytelling is a dying/dead talent and skill amongst these editors nowadays.

Yeah, you do. Many of the editorials were wonderful during that time, but the art direction inside the magazine was incredibly dated and overdue for a change.
Although I personally didn't see this at the time, Giovanni Bianco's creative direction was like a breath of fresh air. Naturally, he had his ups and downs but overall he was good for Vogue Italia. And then Verderi's arrival ruined everything.
Totally agree! VI started to be less great when the VI/Meisel split happened. But those covers, compared with what Farneti and Verderi did are glorious, even the second half of 2015, the worst time under Franca. I really like the art direction under GB. I loved how he create sections as "Code". I didn't liked when he started to put "the...issue" with the same font on every cover, and the name of the model/talent and photographer there, but at least he respected Franca's legacy. I can't believe that Grace Elizabeth cover was under Farneti, but I credited all to GB. Wish he never left. Even he made a incredible cover story with Kendall, a highlight in her career. The first issue of Verderi was OK. I was in the room of my ex boyfriend (the same day he left me for another), and I wrote here that I liked Karen's and Gigi's covers. When the "no photo issue" came, that was the real end of VI. That was a total joke. The pick of that was the kids issue months lather. Black canvas was cool, but not the rest. Farneti did his best at L'Uomo because he belongs to men's magazines. I blame CN for named him in 2017. It was rushed.

Last edited:
the beach cover is the least-ugly one but the setting is really hard carrying, if you zoom in on the models and the clothes themselves they're completely devoid of inspiration or creative direction, really just unnecessary blots on a gorgeous background

^^^ I mean the PEAK* of his bad ternure was the children's issue. That was a colossal piece of garbage. It's set a new low.

(Sorry my english, again).

When was she fashion forward? All she cared about was to sell editorial space to advertisers. It was about photography but fashion was always secondary there.

When was she fashion forward? All she cared about was to sell editorial space to advertisers. It was about photography but fashion was always secondary there.

Regardless of what she cared about, her magazine was the most brilliant fashion publication for at least two decades. The photography and fashion were always on point and that's undeniable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->