Vogue Japan October 2020 by Takashi Murakami

Fashion needs to be canceled and put out of its misery. Everything fashion industry-related in 2020 has been an absolute disaster. The covers have been each more tragic than the one before.

I'm no fashion historian so I could be way off base here but has the industry always been this tightly intertwined with social justice, politics, etc? I feel like in the early to mid 00s when I first got into it, it wasn't like this. Or was I just ignorant of it? I remember it being fashion first. Over the last decade it just became this obnoxiously political machine that initially used fashion as a tool and now has nearly pushed it out. Despite the ever more gloomy horizons, there seems to be no end in sight. The industry will rather destroy itself than go back to celebrating fashion.

So it's hard to even criticize the VJ team for this abysmal cover. The industry has gotten itself in such a tight corner, there's no way out. What else can you put out that's not going to be called "tone-deaf" or "insensitive" or "untimely" or "inappropriate" or whatever other flavor of the month terminology the perpetually offended militia has coined?

Fashion needs to be canceled and put out of its misery. Everything fashion industry-related in 2020 has been an absolute disaster. The covers have been each more tragic than the one before.

I'm no fashion historian so I could be way off base here but has the industry always been this tightly intertwined with social justice, politics, etc? I feel like in the early to mid 00s when I first got into it, it wasn't like this. Or was I just ignorant of it? I remember it being fashion first. Over the last decade it just became this obnoxiously political machine that initially used fashion as a tool and now has nearly pushed it out. Despite the ever more gloomy horizons, there seems to be no end in sight. The industry will rather destroy itself than go back to celebrating fashion.

So it's hard to even criticize the VJ team for this abysmal cover. The industry has gotten itself in such a tight corner, there's no way out. What else can you put out that's not going to be called "tone-deaf" or "insensitive" or "untimely" or "inappropriate" or whatever other flavor of the month terminology the perpetually offended militia has coined?

Amen.

I saw this first and I had no words, but honestly it's very cute and I'll always have a soft spot for Japanese art.

Wasn't Vittoria supposed to be on the cover? I've been looking forward to seeing her :huh:
I believe so, there was a whole teaser thing in the september issue.

Its kind of disappointing it had to be this. Other than that I actually kind of have a soft spot for it. But I also have a soft spot for Vittoria Ceretti getting covers, so I'm conflicted.

I like this but that Vogue title really disappears and melts into the background.....
This is quite odd.

I love their interpretation of Hope, but not in Vogue. When it comes to cartoon, the Japanese is the best. With the Fuji Mountain, Shinto Shrine, and Gojuunotou, the cover has embraced all the elements of their traditions, which always symbolize hope. The cover line is very good to convey the sense that “the sun rises and hope sets with your smile.” They should have shot models in Fuji Mountain, Shinto Shrine, or Gojuunotou!

I can imagine Anna calling ADR and saying: b*tch, you supposed to show this cover on the September issue!
LOL, with those Sakura blossoms, they might have released this cover during the state of emergency (March or April).

I like it!
The choice of artist is a little bit too obvious for my taste but it’s well executed. I think I don’t mind this cover because I know what a normal cover of VJ would look like. It’s not bad to have a break from that to be honest...

It mostly has to do with the rise of social media and its influence on pretty much every facet of our lives. And these seemingly unprecedented levels of social justice and activism come from social media - of course, we wouldn't have the hashtags #blacklivesmatter and #metoo if social media didn't exist.

Is this the subscribers cover? I wish it was the newsstand cover it’s a good picture of Vittoria!

As a regular reader, as far as I have known, Vogue Japan doesn’t do subscriber cover. This is either a teaser for social media or an actual editorial page inside the magazine.

I mean anyone has seen Vogue Japan covers from the recent years knows they don't do close up shots, so this Vittoria cover was never meant to be printed.

I believe so, there was a whole teaser thing in the september issue.

Its kind of disappointing it had to be this. Other than that I actually kind of have a soft spot for it. But I also have a soft spot for Vittoria Ceretti getting covers, so I'm conflicted.

She'll still have an editorial so we'll still see her ^_^:flower:

Vogue Japan October 2020

Sketch Book Style

Photographer: Luigi & Iango
Stylist: Anna Dello Russo
Hair: Luigi Murenu
Makeup: Georgi Sandev
Cast: Binx Walton, Jill Kortleve, Patrycja Piekarska, Mika Schneider, Sacha Quenby, Sora Choi, Valerie Scherzinger, Yasmin Wijnaldum

Vogue Japan Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minidee
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->