Vogue Paris March 2021 : Quinn Mora by David Sims

agreed and if Alt departures it is almost guaranteed the magazine will follow the step of VI.
also this might not be an exciting cover indeed but I think the discussions are over hectic, at the end of the day its just a cover, a magazine will have content beneath the cover to read,
why don't we wait to see if this is the end, non ?

I don’t hate the layout. It reminds me of the post modernism that was going in graphic design in the late 80s and early 90s. I just wish they would have styled her in something more colorful and interesting. Unfortunately the eyes goes more to the layout than the model and outfit. It’s something new for the magazine. Hopefully they can find a better balance next time.

I'm in complete agreement that this month's cover may not be the most visually-appealing but I'm genuinely sat here in disbelief that there's people out there who want Emmanuelle Alt to resign - after one hiccup. Alt resigning does not need to be out in the universe right now.

agreed and if Alt departures it is almost guaranteed the magazine will follow the step of VI.
also this might not be an exciting cover indeed but I think the discussions are over hectic, at the end of the day its just a cover, a magazine will have content beneath the cover to read,
why don't we wait to see if this is the end, non ?
I don’t understand how the magazine will follow the footsteps of VI.

I'm in complete agreement that this month's cover may not be the most visually-appealing but I'm genuinely sat here in disbelief that there's people out there who want Emmanuelle Alt to resign - after one hiccup. Alt resigning does not need to be out into the universe right now.
To be fair, those who wants her departure wanted it for seasons now. I personally ask for it for years now.

I want VP to be great. Not to be the least terrible.
I respect her commitment to her vision but I’m tired of the linear vision displayed everytime...

I don’t understand how the magazine will follow the footsteps of VI.

the magazine business is not the same thing as before anymore, in many aspects, as you know.
By saying "to follow the step of VI", I mean if there came a successor of Alt, most probably this person won't follow the same idea of "what fashion magazine should be like" as many members here, and sticking to this idea of "what fashion magazine should be like", was exactly the reason why Alt/ VP won some many loves since last year.

Alt, as part of the old generation (not referring to her age but the economic/fashion/media era in which she was educated), just like Karl for Chanel, provides this magazine some attitude that we are familiar with, which is often defined as the "fashion" by many members here. However this specific taste used to be given by those creators organically, will change once they are not active in the scene anymore. for good or bad.

the magazine business is not the same thing as before anymore, in many aspects, as you know.
By saying "to follow the step of VI", I mean if there came a successor of Alt, most probably this person won't follow the same idea of "what fashion magazine should be like" as many members here, and sticking to this idea of "what fashion magazine should be like", was exactly the reason why Alt/ VP won some many loves since last year.

Alt, as part of the old generation (not referring to her age but the economic/fashion/media era in which she was educated), just like Karl for Chanel, provides this magazine some attitude that we are familiar with, which is often defined as the "fashion" by many members here. However this specific taste used to be given by those creators organically, will change once they are not active in the scene anymore. for good or bad.

I don’t believe replacing her means choosing someone from the new generation. Tbh, what people hate about fashion (nepotism and not a real change of generation) isn’t still there yet in France. All the names mentioned and who are in people’s mouth in Paris when talking about it are all very « old generation ».

I’m not afraid of what the optics of a new VP might look like. I’m maybe too optimistic but I think there are great talents and I want them to take over at VP.

I mean, it’s insane that Barbieri is not the N2 at the publication. She is beyond versatile and talented. She added a great balance between the jeans and the usual stuff.

There are a lot people who wanted Karl to go anyway. I wasn’t one of them... Obviously, nobody expected the Weirthemers to hire in-house.

Emmanuelle wasn’t the expected name either but she was in-house...

The worst thing that could happen is if Saglio gets the job. But seriously, 21 years at Vogue, it’s time to move on. There are a lot of brands that could use Emmanuelle as a consultant. Chanel, Celine & YSL are in the list!

She is a great stylist but I’m tired of her Vogue.

As long as Farneti still sits comfortably at Vogue Italia, Alt, who delivers a directional Vogue, has nothing to worry about.

Whether we like it or not, Alt stuck with her vision and remained true to it. Not that I’m justifying the cover because from what I’m seeing, it’s actually atrocious.

Her tenure is now longer than her predecessor. She must be doing something right. And imo, the best thing she did for the magazine adding stability to it. Vogue Paris may no longer be seeing the record number of international/domestic sales during Carine’s era, but Alt was able to tap into a cult of loyal readers who are willing to buy her magazine regardless of how basic/pedestrian her covers/content are. Her numbers remain to be very consistent.

Yes, she didn’t increase the audience, but stability and consistency at a time when print is dying is very crucial.

And even if she leaves, I don’t even think her successor will return to /emulate the Carine glory days. Gone are the days where fashion is the primordial consideration. We live in a world where social media validation matters more than the actual content. Gone are the days where we can see smoking and surgery being actively promoted in Vogue as a main editorial because it will be slammed for sending the wrong message and being contra body positivity.

Last edited:
We are saying names, but CN won't replace her with one of them. They will push some random guy like Farneti. They have the last word, and is not always the best choice.

We are saying names, but CN won't replace her with one of them. They will push some random guy like Farneti. They have the last word, and is not always the best choice.
Probably Olivier

I'm in complete agreement that this month's cover may not be the most visually-appealing but I'm genuinely sat here in disbelief that there's people out there who want Emmanuelle Alt to resign - after one hiccup. Alt resigning does not need to be out in the universe right now.

Alt and her team has worked very hard over the last couple of years to make Vogue Paris the best fashion magazine out there. If we didn’t have Vogue Paris we wouldn’t have anything. I mean what’s the next best thing?

Still not sure about the layout and the outfit choice for the cover but wow.. Quinn looks like baby Cindy Crawford!

Alt and her team has worked very hard over the last couple of years to make Vogue Paris the best fashion magazine out there. If we didn’t have Vogue Paris we wouldn’t have anything. I mean what’s the next best thing?

Vogue Taiwan

Probably Olivier
Rizzo? (Hahaha, don't get it). Let's keep Alt for now. VP will be major if they start working with Steven Meisel. Weird that Carine never worked with him in the 2000s. I mean, he was working with Franca and Anna at the same time. VP is like British Vogue under Alexandra, pretending that Meisel never existed.

The hyperbole I saw here with regards to Alt being the saving grace of today’s state of fashion magazines is just...interesting. A decade ago before joining the forum, I seemed to remember a lot of people criticizing her on monthly basis here.

In the context of Vogue, she is hardly the most groundbreaking EIC and I’d say Vogue Taiwan, Arabia, and Portugal deliver as many fashion-forward contents as her. Unlike her, though, all three happen to have good taste in layout, fonts, and graphic designs when it comes to their respective covers. Sure they have some missteps but who doesn’t? Outside of Vogue, some lesser known HB editions like HB China—whose cover this month is one of the best—or even if we’re talking about consistency, WSJ would be my pick. It’s very ludicrous to imply that Alt is the only one who understands what fashion magazine should be in this day and age when a lot of the looks she featured don’t even have the imagination to be styled differently from what were shown on the runway.

Rizzo? (Hahaha, don't get it). Let's keep Alt for now. VP will be major if they start working with Steven Meisel. Weird that Carine never worked with him in the 2000s. I mean, he was working with Franca and Anna at the same time. VP is like British Vogue under Alexandra, pretending that Meisel never existed.

I think he meant Olivier Lalanne, former deputy editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris and now editor-in-chief of GQ France.

Meisel is not very VP tbh. The few things he shot for the magazine did not really had the identity of the magazine.
I think it was clever for Carine to not work with Meisel on the magazine. She was new at the job and she also started working with Meisel around the same time. He would have been too overwhelming as a photographer.

Meisel is not very VP tbh. The few things he shot for the magazine did not really had the identity of the magazine.
I think it was clever for Carine to not work with Meisel on the magazine. She was new at the job and she also started working with Meisel around the same time. He would have been too overwhelming as a photographer.
But it could be the only Vogue that he would work because it's the only one that keeps doing fashion contents.

This thread looks like that one dedicated to Glenda Bailey (a "book editor" accoding to Google, hahaha). Farneti deserves this kind of comments. This is a bad cover, yes, but this is not a consistent thing in Alt's Vogue. Reminds me of to the dark/industrial period of VI, when people asked for a new editor firing Franca. Look at VI now. That's what you get.

I didn't know about Olivier. I have a bad feeling every time I read "the GQ guy" here because of Farneti. The only male editor I care is Dan Peres from Details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->