Vogue Paris May 2010 : Penélope, Naomi, Gwyneth, Meryl, Julianne & Kate by I&V

I just don't understand the concept of the cover. Where is the art direction? Even Vanity Fair, when it does it Hollywood Issue, has some kind of artful direction in terms of composition and placing of the figures, etc.

The cover would have been much stronger and more dynamic if it were just that diagonal line of Kate Winslet, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep. The other three just look strange to me.

Besides, if anything is to be learnt by this issue, its that Penelope Cruz should never be given the position of creative director ever again! :lol: :innocent:

the cover is too vanity fair...
and the edits don't sound too exciting.

As much as I usually hate celeb cover these are all really good!

It HAS TO be a joke! Vogue Paris (to wish I'm a suscriber ... I tried a year ... it will be the last one!) is always boring me CRAZY with covers and some editorials ! V, Italian and American Vogue and US (sometimes UK) Harper's Bazaar do soooooo much better ! This time it's photoshop gone bad ! All 3 covers are drecktitude lol (cf: André on ANTM) I mean :

- the first one is crazy bad styling and looks like a behind-the-scenes photo and no link whatsoever = like a school project !

- the 2cd cover looks like a sunglasses advertisement, not a HIGH FASHION cover !

- the 3rd cover with Penelope and Meryl is like an editorial gone bad where Penelope is working it but not Meryl who is laughing and the pose is not selling anything, nor even the clothes!

0/20 (like we put school marks in France) = or I should say 0/3 covers! BAD BAD BAD JOB

let's pray the editorials will be "good" ...

I love the cover with Bono, but I feel Meryl ruins the other two. :doh:

^ the april 2009 cover had featured scarlett johansson, so i guess december isn't the only month dedicated to celebrities.

Unlike Scarlett, Penelope is actually playing a role as an editor in this issue, she's not just being feature. It was her decision to feature these other celebs on the cover with her. That's what I was referring to in my statement. :flower:

Good cover, nice than Testino back on VP.

I'm so tired for Penelope Cruz, she is not beautiful & sexy and now she is the guest editor, come on. :rolleyes:

I thinking was Nicole Kidman appeared on the cover.

The other girls looking great, except Cruz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love those actresses, but the concept of the cover is a little weird

don't like how they omitted the G in the main cover. the rest of the actresses
look alright but Kate does look like Lindsay Lohan and Sienna Miller combined
and Julianne appears to be sucking the hell out of her face in that shot. and the
use of the Red tshirts are just downright gimmicky. however, i understand that
what they're aiming for here is toned down glamour, and the simplicity of the
shot works for me, i mean these are all A-List celebrities, no need to envelope
them in the usual glammed up garb that US Vogue always aims for. but i'm
pretty sure that if they went for that aesthetic people'd still say it's boring :rolleyes:

I would be much more interested if Meryl or Julianne had guest edited, and I am bothered by the shirts. Is there not enough publicity for them elsewhere?

Does everything have to have a concept?

They all look f*cking amazing period, and we can never have enough exposure for such an important cause.

wow, i'm on the fence and i think i will be on the fence on this. i neither love it or hate it; the bono cover is the best cover but it looks more like an i-D cover than VP. Penelope looks great on all three covers. where is the G in the group cover :lol: :lol: so you get 2 vogue covers and a voue cover? :blink:

I hope I could get the group shot cover! The review sounds really promising.
Thanks!:flower:

The group shot cover with all 6 of them is stunning! I :heart: it! They all look, IMO, beautiful. :smile:

This is what happens when Carine doesn't put a celebrity on the cover for over a year--we get a plethora of Hollywood A-listers on three different covers :lol:! Why didn't they just put every actress who has been nominated for an Oscar in the past 15 years on the main cover? They already have half of them there :lol:!

I must say that I am very surprised by this issue. It is quite a departure from what we have usually been seeing from Vogue Paris in the past year. And I applaud Carine (and Penelope) for mixing it up a bit. This is not just a cinema issue, but a movie star extravaganza. I am a but surprised, however, that Marion Cotillard isn't on the cover. After all, she is French and she did win an Oscar and she is in the fashion spotlight as the face of Dior. Out of any actress, surely she would deserve a cover of Vogue Paris by now. Maybe Carine really doesn't like her?

As odd as it is in May to have someone guest edit an issue, an honor usually reserved for the holiday issue, I absolutely ADORE Penelope Cruz and I am so happy she got to guest edit her own issue. She looks gorgeoussssss on every cover, and, honestly, I think she is the perfect actress to headline because she has the type of beautiful/sensuous appeal that coincides with that of the usual supermodel Vogue Paris cover girls. She is that rare type of actress who is also a fabulous model. Also, the idea of making this a charity issue to support Product Red is also fantastic, because, as we all know, philanthropy and fashion go together like milk and cookies :wink:! Penelope is such an amazing woman, beautiful, intelligent, kind, a humanitarian... They couldn't have picked a more genuinely inspirational actress to guest edit.

I am very excited to see the contents, especially Crystal Renn's editorial (SO glad to see her back in the magazine) and Lily Donaldson's shoot with Steven Klein. Also, it is SOOOOO great to FINALLY see Carine and Mario working together again! It's about time ^_^!

It is also nice to see Melanie Word styling for the magazine. It seems recently that Carine has been featuring a rotation of NY stylists (first Camilla Nickerson, now Melanie Ward). Maybe she is testing talents new to the magazine and possibly considering someone to fill in Marie-Amelie Sauve's vacant position? Now that Camilla Nickerson is presumably no longer working at W, I would love to see her move over to VP. Also, it would be great to see Alex White's work featured in the magazine as she is another one of those hip, innovative NY stylists who also creates magnificent pages. Plus, she always works with VP favorites like I&V and M&M, so she would not be at all out of place in the magazine.

Though I will probably end up being all 3 covers for my collection, my favorite by far is the one of Penelope and Meryl Streep. It is the most VP of the three and the least commercial.

I totally agree with all of you; Kate Winslet looks like a totally different woman! Absolutely gorgeous, but a completely other human being! I guess the best revenge after getting a divorce is looking like a 20-something starlet. She looks younger than every actress on the damn cover, but so unrecognizable! I don't think it is photoshop though, just a really phenomenal make up job. All of the other actresses look like themselves, so it wouldn't make sense that they would only manipulate her image and not touch the other women. It would make more sense if Penelope was the most photoshopped, considering she is the guest editor :lol:! But she doesn't really need to be, she's already naturally gorgeous. And so is Kate for that matter.

I saw the title and very nearly died of cardiac arrest. I mean, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet and Julianne Moore on VP???

That excitement came screeching to a halt when I actually saw it. Figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->