Vogue Poland March 2018 : Anja Rubik & Małgosia Bela by Juergen Teller

Well, they are taking A LOT of risk with this debut issue. I love this, of course, its funny, creepy, experimental and bold, everything that I love to see in fashion nowadays. However I have my doubts that this will be embrace by the Poles people, especially in these times that we are living, but IDK maybe it works who knows, they can try a international strategy of market if this didn't work, because if they keep that way I (and a lot of other people around the globe) will want, definitely, become a subscriber.

I agree, I also doubt that this will resonate with the general Polish public. But I really like the look of the Teller ed and cover. I think it's exactly what Poland now needs, something irreverent, out of the box. Too many magazines show the very same thing over and over again...

^Maybe because it's too experimental for a first issue. Out of reach and incomprehensible for the mass, especially if people don't know him and his work. I like the whole thing but I understand the point. Polish people would have probably expected something more chic/glamorous.

I couldn't have put it any better, Valentine. :flower: This is not a new EIC doing an overhaul, it's a new magazine launching. I'm guessing most Polish readers would be familiar with German, French and Italian Vogue. They're probably expecting something similar. I don't mean that it should be basic, but why not a gradual introduction to your aesthetic? This Teller story feels very aggressive in the sense that he won't even do something that avant-garde for POP.

I couldn't have put it any better, Valentine. :flower: This is not a new EIC doing an overhaul, it's a new magazine launching. I'm guessing most Polish readers would be familiar with German, French and Italian Vogue. They're probably expecting something similar. I don't mean that it should be basic, but why not a gradual introduction to your aesthetic? This Teller story feels very aggressive in the sense that he won't even do something that avant-garde for POP.

No, but setting the tone in the first issue is important. I don't see the meaning in introducing the aesthetic gradually, would that make the "masses" appreciate the content more?

For people that already know the Polish very well, it's not for the masses nor has it ever been. It's for a small group of people that are already used to Teller's brutal aesthetic and appreciate the "Polska" tag on it. Cause that's important, Poland has been overlooked on the global fashion front for years. This might actually somewhat put Poland on the map, finally.

That's right. Well, Poles were told: yeah, guys, we're finally launching Vogue, and given that, ordinary folks immediately associate things like luxury, glamour, beauty. It is the biggest fashion magazine worldwide after all. This launching was like a major event in the media. And most of people who got it aren't fashion aware at all. We've got like plenty avant-garde or low-profile lifestyle magz already and imagine getting basically the same content in Vogue, only with a famous face. Those other spreads were just plain fashion shots, nothing exquisite if you ask me. I like Teller's work and the issue overall but because of the cover and main story (which is huge part) it felt like i got one of them indies. I expected the first issue to be somewhat different just because of having all those foreign editions and it felt as much polish as it could. They obviously aren't playing it safe, I wonder if it was just for the premiere or they are going to follow that path. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but setting the tone in the first issue is important. I don't see the meaning in introducing the aesthetic gradually, would that make the "masses" appreciate the content more?

For people that already know the Polish very well, it's not for the masses nor has it ever been. It's for a small group of people that are already used to Teller's brutal aesthetic and appreciate the "Polska" tag on it. Cause that's important, Poland has been overlooked on the global fashion front for years. This might actually somewhat put Poland on the map, finally.

It seems we are on the opposite sides of the fence here. I completely understand what you're saying, but I just feel like the debut edition shouldn't alienate readers. Especially if it's aimed at such a small audience. Who knows whether this will be a success anyway? Vogue Ukraine didn't start out the way they are now. They morphed from a commercial into a quasi indie .....

God, so insufferable! Cant he save this for his photobooks? I get what they're trying to do, but it's maybe too soon for this.

I love the editorial Benn... but... I don’t like it for a debut issue. I would have gagged if this was used for an anniversary issue

The insertion of politics and social issues in the editorial took away what was supposed to be celebrated in this issue — fashion. It may not be seen explicitly, but looking at the individual images and the entire itself, it really is trying to make a statement. A bold one at that.

Dont get me wrong, I love it when fashion gets political / social. And I’m a firm believer that the two should not be mutually exclusive. My issue here is this, to me, this feels disingenuous. Like they wanted to give people something to talk about. Its published not to be “woke” or whatever, it was published to get publicity. That is disappointing imo.

Behind the scenes of the "Vogue Polska" editorial office

Work on the first issue of the "Vogue Polska" magazine and the Vogue.pl website lasted for several intense months. Visits at the Condé Nast International headquarters in London, articles and photo sessions that have been created from scratch are the result of a well-integrated team. The members of the editorial team, publishing house and our collaborators, just before the premiere of the first issue, met at an exceptional session, which we can finally present to you.

Photographers: Magda Wünsche & Agnieszka Samsel

From the left: Ewelina Dziewiela, Katarzyna Straszewicz, Marta Zaczyńska, Filip Niedenthal (editor-in-chief), Małgosia Bela (editor-at-large), Daniela Agnelli (fashion editor) and Karolina Gruszecka

Video: Hasenien Dousery

vogue.pl/a/kulisy-sesji-redakcji-vogue-polska

POLSKA SZKOŁA
Photographer: Boo George
Stylist: Daniela Angelli
Hair: Alain Pichon
Make-Up: Marianna Yurkiewicz
Models: Mag Cysewska & Maria Zakrzewska

streeters.com/news/vogue-poland-march-2018-polish-class

READY-TO-WEAR
Photographer: Chris Colls
Stylist: Daniela Agnelli
Hair: Diego Da Silva
Make-Up: Georgi Sandev
Models: Riley Montana

awake-smile.blogspot.rs/2018/02/riley-montana-in-vogue-poland-1-march.html

MAKE-UP CHANEL NEAPOLIS
Photographer: Piotr Stokłosa
Stylist: Daniela Agnelli
Hair: Michał Bielecki
Make-Up: Ula Adamiak
Models: Krysia Ziółek

vogue.pl/g/219/makijaz-chanel-neapolis-w-obiektywie-piotra-stoklosy

Oh wow, that last beauty editorial is really bad. :o

Very weak debut issue IMO. Do we really need this edition of Vogue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->