What Is Fashion?

jennie hunt

Reaction score
Fashion...My question is...What is fashion according to you...??

From my perception, everyone has different thoughts about fashion. Everyone has a different mind of the set.
Fashion is just what you like or not like. what do you want to wear or not, either in clothes, shoes or accessories... In winter somebody likes to wear a warm coat and somebody wants to wear a jacket or somebody likes to use a woolen shawl. But if you say I am wearing a jacket so this is best for all, I am looking beautiful but no one. Or you can say I am wearing this so everybody should wear like this, If someone not doing the same thing, then people usually say oh...you are an old fashion girl or boy. Don't know what is an old fashion or new fashion?? Don't judge anybody from their clothes or shoes or any other thing.

I have a concept of personality but it's not compulsory that if you wearing the Gucci brand, or Adidas or Fila then you can stand in society...No wayyy...We have to change our mindset.

I'm sorry...but it's a fact...:smile:

To me its kind of strange, I love following because I have a creative mind and wonder what I create using the pieces but in real life, I'm the opposite of being big on fashion, frankly I cant really afford it, but otherwise I really only care about what I can be comfortable in. Baggy clothes, sweatpants(even in the summer heat) and all.

To me its kind of strange, I love following because I have a creative mind and wonder what I create using the pieces but in real life, I'm the opposite of being big on fashion, frankly I cant really afford it, but otherwise I really only care about what I can be comfortable in. Baggy clothes, sweatpants(even in the summer heat) and all.
This!

I'm pretty much the same, I cannot really afford it! And even if I did I wouldn't be responsible enough to handle such expensive materials like cashmere or silks. I appreciate fashion the same way I appreciate art, looks beautiful but not practical under any circumstances based on my lifestyle to purchase.

Altho I could not stand Karl Lagerfeld most of the time, something he used to say resonates with me. If you have a 100k fur coat, you wear it like it’s a cheap denim jacket. You treat it like what it is–a coat. The cut and materials are secondary to its purpose. Treating your clothes with this attitude, even the more conceptual ones, will bring the nonchalance that people strive for. You are wearing the clothes. The clothes are not wearing you. In regards to fashion, the design and materials you choose are to accentuate and sometimes emphasize your character and identity.

A problem with fashion right now is everyone’s constant need for a dopamine rush. Everything’s gotta be new new new one-and-done season after season. New ideas, new concepts, new inspirations, etc. Everyone wants to be special. I definitely have gotten lost in this way of thinking. For the past like decade I have solely thought about fashion in my head rather than in reality. This past season I thought I would finally try out buying more creative/conceptual pieces directly from the runway to try and bring my fantasy into real life. Turns out my thoughts and reality do not match LOL. I objectively looked at what I bought, then looked at my current wardrobe and was kind of shocked at the complete difference between the two. I love what I bought, but does it really work with the way I dress? Can I make it work? How did I get here lol.

I think that what is being presented as RTW is almost, bare w me here, being presented as HC. My understanding of HC in the current decade is that it's just an idea of what "could be". RTW is then what "is". But almost everything that RTW stands for lacks what "is". It is not what people wear. It may be what people wear to take pictures with, but it is not reality. No one can relate to these clothes. The level of wealth it takes to be one-and-done with this stuff season after season is astronomical. When someone normal tries to keep up with this mentality, the clothes end up wearing them and not the other way around. The person lacks identity. Barely any RTW today has a chance to be added into someone’s wardrobe. It’s just used as a temporary drug. I truly believe what fashion is now is an authentically curated wardrobe. Whether your wardrobe is plain clothes, crazy conceptual, or a mix of the two, the uniqueness of your identity should create that fashion. What’s being presented to us right now as “fashion” is just too fantastical and almost a cult of personality. It is not authentic at all. It is not meant for us to connect with and is just created for us to spend money.

Fashion, to me, is a way of expressing myself through the clothes I wear. It's about being creative and having fun with different styles and trends. Whether I'm going for a classic, timeless look or trying out something bold and daring, fashion allows me to showcase my personality and individuality.

Fashion is not just about what's in style, it's about how I feel when I wear a certain outfit. It's a reflection of my mood, my confidence, and my self-expression. When I put on an outfit that makes me feel good, it can have a positive impact on my day and even my mindset.

Overall, fashion is an exciting and dynamic way for me to express myself and explore my personal style. It's a form of art that I get to wear and share with the world.

What is fashion? Actually, that's a very good and pretty tough question that may have millions different answers if not more.

I came into fashion because of models, and I became interested in models as an inspiration for my paintings back in the early 2000's. I first looked at unique faces and then only looked at what they were wearing. I was a young adult back then and I'm from a family that deeply despises fashion due to some lack of intrest and loads of misconceptions about it. It didn't take me long to understand that a personal approach of fashion is a powerful tool and to me, it was also a way to connect me back with the child I used to be.

Despite my unfashionable family, I had an obsession with purple, every shade of purple, when I was about 5 or 6 and I wanted to be dressed in purple from head to toe at that time. I was just a child but had a clear idea of what I wanted, something that I thought later I had lost forever... but that finally striked back in my 20's.

Buying international fashion magazines, watching the shows then even attending some, and so on, opened my mind to the idea I can look like who I feel I am and that I'm not doomed to look like what I'm supposed to be. I learnt that I can make visual statements, I was suddenly free and proud to be myself.

And it has very few to do with brands and trends for me. I've never owned designer pieces, except a second-hand Rick Owens jacket, even if I can always grab some inspirations from labels or creatives.

No fashion has a very defined brief. It's looking great and making sense for your lifestyle. Dassit.

Fashion follows lifestyle. Someone flying on Private Jets can wear full head to toe white silk outfits with a white leather bag and not be concerned about it. The white silk staying clean is the status symbol. You cannot wear white silk head to toe if you're taking a subway. You wear harder wearing fabrics like denim and cotton twill with a Vans sneaker. Nothing wrong with either of these things but it's about understanding your lifestyle and matching it with clothes.

One of the richest women I know owns literally 20 million dollar earrings and when she goes to the mall around a bunch of strangers she dresses down and doesn't display any wealth. I was shopping with her yesterday and we saw a woman walking around with a 200k Birkin looking like she didn't own any other bags. My friend was wearing a baggy linen dress with plain jane sneakers and a big hat.

Fashion follows lifestyle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->