What Magazines Have You Bought/Received Recently?

kimair said:
120704_52.jpg

a bit more on the contents of the Dec/Jan05 French Vogue:

1)
Sofia photographed by:
David Sims
Inez van Lamsweerde
Mario Testino
Craig McDean
2) a collage of Sofia´s personal memories and photos. e.g.:
elizabeth peyton painting
the oscar
tarantino
lost in translation set pictures
marc jacobs
3) sofia interviews francis ford coppola

plus:
edit 1: marija +2 by craig mcdean
edit 2: natasha poly eating all sorts of things by terry richardson
edit 3: daria by inez posing à la jessica miller
edit 4: unknown by david sims

Help please : does somebody could tell me if it's in this dec/jan FR Vogue or in the next one Feb/march that there's an article about redheads? I'm seeking for it!
Thank you very much! :flower:

W March 2005

very quickly here are the main edits in a splendid 456 page march 2005 W, hot off the presses and into our laps for fashion week.
the last 2 or so W's wre real disappointments but this issue is totally up to W's established standard as the best american fashion book.

main edits:
1) Stam shot by mert & marcus. extremely modern & colorful edit. includes stam in ungaro red maillot, among hottest stam pictures to date. rating: 8.5 out of 10.

2) gemma & kim noorda shot by mcdean. this is more like the mcdean we have loved. his recent vogue edits have been middling at best. like meisel, and even testino & klein, mcdean seems muzzled by wintour's frigidity. not here. gemma particularly is stunning here, as are the clothes. gemma & kim work much better together than gemma & natailia in recent vogue mcdean piece. mcdean & gemma have a brilliant chemistry. gemma here can stake a claim to being the #1 model in the world. daria is not nearly as good a model as gemma here. 8 out of 10.

3) kate moss shot by mert & marcus. absolutely stunning. as great as the previous 2 edits are, this one blows them away. mert & marcus did it again, they made kate look like the best model ever. again. if anyone dared to say that kate is not still on top form in 2005 this edit will shut them up. these images are a mixture of sexy swimwear & evening looks shot in an arty black & white style that compares with the best 20th century art portraits by say edward weston or alfred steiglitz. the best images here can compare with helmut newton's sensuous chiaroscuro, but mert & marcus keep it more subtle & poetic without the deliberate shock that newton often used. this edit deserves much deeper study but just the lighting here and the framing of the pictures is masterful, thsi edit can stand with the very best that W has shown in the 21st century. kate is hotter than hot, still the sexiest model alive when she chooses to be. rating 10 out of 10.

4) inez & vinoo shoot anja, noorda, marina, cameron, eloise, alicia malhone, tasha, & marta b. sadly the credits here suggest a better edit than was actually realized. and I am usually a huge fan of inez/vinoo. these are basically closeups of the girls from waist up. they all look good, but could have been used better, thats a lot of talent. still this edit is 10X better than anything in US vogue since maybe the gemma/grandma story or meier shooting julia as hitchcock femme fatale. theres a shadowy drama to these pics that is sort of french 70s YSL but with such a great cast Id like to have seen more than these facials. still its a contrast to the more expository edits that came before, W knows what theyre doing, but with inez & vinoo I expect work at the level of mert/marcus & mcdean and this is not that. rating 6.5 of 10.

It's a must buy W and thats just the main edits. W is far better written than US vogue & there may be articles & news of note to mention once fashion week subsides. the last few W's were relatively drab its such a good feeling to have W back to its typically glorious peak.

What magazines do you subscribe to?

I'm a magazine wh*re. :D Anybody else?! :wink:

I used to subscribe to Elle, Vogue, Bazaar, Glamour, but I'm in University now, and I'm only here for 9 months out of the 12 months, and never sure whether I'm staying in the same place, so I don't subscribe anymore - I don't want to move and then go through the hassle of having to submit change of address forms.

I'm really bad with magazines. :blush:
These are the ones I subscribe to:
-Town & Country
-Harper's Bazaar
-Vogue
-Elle
-Distinctions (Long Island mag)
-House (long Island mag)
-@ Home (Long Island mag)
-Southern Accents
-Veranda
-Architectural Digest
-Traditional Home
-European Homes & Gardens
-The English Home
-The Robb Report
-Arts & Antiques

receive for free:
-Departures
-Shape

and I buy off the newsstand:
-Martha Stewart Weddings
-Grace Ormonde Wedding Style
-Wine Spectator
-La Vie Claire

^^Sheesh, that's a lot of mags:P

I get US in the mail (it makes Thursday my fave day), and I get just about everything else at the book store.

Thanks for the review lady grey. I look forward to receiving my issue.

Drew Barrymore on Another Magazine. Jacquetta Wheeler is in it so I might have to pick this up. The scan looks surprisingly good, but need to see the real cover.

97_1_b.JPG

And I just bought Vanity Fair's Hollywood issue. The cover is terrible upon close inspection. EVERYONE has a weird expression, like they didn't know to put on a pretty face when they are being photographed for the cover of a magazine. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: I bought it for the advertisements, but still don't think it's worth the money. However, some of the ads are nicer than the ones appeared in Feb. magazines. To name a few: Natalia Vodianova for Calvin Klein, Carmen Kass for Fendi, Kate Moss for Dior, Uma Thurman of Louis Vuitton.

I also got Shop Etc. b/c Angela Lindvall has a two-pg ad for Calvin Klein's more economically priced line. She had four pages in March's Marie Claire, but these are new. The magazine itself is not worth a second look though.

I just recieved the new Vanity Fair in the mail today. And while the cover is bland (Claire Danes looks horrible) I really liked this magazine. The ads were great and I would give it a 7 until the very end where they have a 10+ page article on Marlon Brando (!:heart: !) and also one on James Dean. I could care less about the other crap. I mean.. well.. yeah. The Hollywood List was suprisingly short, but they included all the right people.

Anyway, I'm going to get in my bed and read that article on Brando before I go to bed!:D

I love that Drew Barrymore cover *heart*. I just saw "Never Been Kissed" so it was awesome to see that cover and know much she has changed. BEAUTIFUL.

so who's on the new us vogue cover now? i'm still clueless.....(just impatient)

A wild rumor says that there will be three differention covers for US Vogue:

Charlize Theron with Christina Ricci
Julianne Moore with Michelle Pfeiffer
Nicole Kidman with Catherine Deneuve

But I am not sold.

^three different covers for sale? wow, that would be a first for vogue!
i'm not sure which choice i'd prefer from the three above......nicole and the deneuve, probably, but then again, nicole was on the cover already sooo many times its getting boring.....

where did you hear the rumors?

on style.com, there's a pictorial with sandra bullock, which leads me to believe she's on the cover.

and here's a pic of the March W cover with Kate Moss (pictorial and review are a few pages back:(

mar05-cover.jpg

liberty33r1b said:
^three different covers for sale? wow, that would be a first for vogue!
i'm not sure which choice i'd prefer from the three above......nicole and the deneuve, probably, but then again, nicole was on the cover already sooo many times its getting boring.....

where did you hear the rumors?
Actually it would be the second time, the first was when they split the covers up regionally. Angela Lindvall was the South, Stella Tennant was the East Coast (I think) and there was one other cover representing the West Coast. Obviously, the idea didn't leave a huge impression on me!

Sandra Bullock? Are they running out of fashionable celebrities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->