What pieces to choose for foolproof comfy basic 'always look good' style?

cbcb

Reaction score
This thread title, albeit wordy and not really conveying what I'm trying to say :P was inspired by two things. One, I bought a black suede hobo bag I like today that is just begging to be worn with some really nice jeans and a great big black sweater and some cool boots. And two, someone at work did black and beige bulky-but-streamlined knitwear really well today.

So, what kind of pieces do you like to look for if you want a wardrobe of very comfy things you can pretty much just throw on and always look fantabulous in? What length, fabrics, makers, etc.? I'm thinking along the lines of casual knitwear and jeans etc.

Weeding out:
Anything fussy or where the fabric has to sit just so.
Most patterns for the moment
Probably bright colors
Anything that says cheap, schlumpy or middle of the road

Aiming for:
Black as the base color, with occasional forays into other base colors
Great fabrics, on the heavy side but not oppressively warm side
Easy care
No wrinkling
Can go for work in a non-suity environment, or to clubs or to walk dog
Some bulky fabrics but streamlined - don't make me look like Velma on Scooby
Gotta have some boots, but don't want to look like a sherpa
Should look great with not a stitch of makeup, or w/evening glamour face

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO...

jeans - dark wash, bootcut, simple details (james jeans 5pkt bootcut in dark bowie or dark emily)
p10638868_ph_hero.jpg

top - white button down shirt

boots - brown or tan roundtoe boots (fcuk is doing a pair right now)
AF6CC.jpg

these, but without the braided leather details on shaft. in tan.
or these jcrew ones.

sweater -

cashmere wrap sweater in either black/navy/brown

or a beaded cardigan (jcrew)
javascript:popBlowup('prod69835681','GY6469');

henley sweater (jcrew)
71023_GR6748_FA05_m.jpg

top - silk top, similar to this vince.
p10949092_ph_hero.jpg

a velvet blazer similar to this, but in black.
153379.jpg

Cloud9, those are great suggestions - thanks for going to the trouble to find/post pix! :heart:

I agree about the dark wash jeans - have a pair and these are my fave item now (different brand). I love the henley sweater, and will go look at that. I already have several non-sweater henleys. And I like the boot shape a lot (would prob. go w/black just because it's me...) Also love the styling on the silk blouse - looks dress-up-able or down-able. And the weight of the beaded cardigan. The only thing in the whole group I don't think I'd be so great with is the velvet blazer. I know they're popular this season but I've decided aside from business functions where blazers are required I'm just not gonna wear them but go w/something a little less constructed. (I have a good Armani herringbone tweedy rough blazer that could go w/the general look though.) A not-too-terribly-military military-cut jacket might go in place of the blazer.

I'm a big fan of APC for basics. Good fabrics, sleek and simple cuts.

Their site is Flash-based, so it's tough to post pictures without spending a lot of time copying and pasting, so just follow the links.

Here are a few highlights from their winter selection:

low-necked pullover (with nifty button detail at collar)
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=3MD01934355F

pullover with buttoned polo collar
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=3MD02034341F

short jacket (make sure to zoom in on the fabric)
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=3MD02034341F

crossover sweater
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=3MD02134354F

wrap-over skirt
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=1C018219334F

top with bow
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=1M011316061F

http://www.apc.fr/us/en/fiche_article.php?ref=2VD00224484F

The Baron said:
I'm a big fan of APC for basics.

I love the crossover sweater - and that zoom function is like Google Earth!

I will also agree with dark jeans and a pair of boots for looking polished but casual.

In the summer, I think a pair of great-fitting white pants can make almost anything look good. Also, when it's warm I love wearing skirts more for casual because they are the most comfortable thing around.

I love Club Monaco for "basics"- they always have a great selection of sweaters, skirts, pants and jackets that seem to span a lot of seasons and looks.

OK, I went looking and here are some pieces I think might fit into the overall strategy. (Like for someone who wants to look great but not have to open their eyes when they reach in the closet for the .05 seconds they plan to spend actually getting dressed.)

pPOLO2-2151332_standard_v330.jpg

Ralph Lauren Cashmere Jersey Scoopneck

pPOLO2-2147288_standard_v330.jpg

Ralph Lauren 'Lauren' Tweed Haskell Circle Skirt

V245908.jpg

VS Slim Jean in a darker-than-that antique vintage wash (dark muted bluegreen really).. or okay okay find a pricier pair. But I like the simple aspect of these :P

Definitely one of the pairs of boots from the first reply in this thread. :smile:

Having trouble finding the kind of sweaters I like.. yikes - actually, there's a lot of fashion out there that does *not* fit what I'm looking for. Sigh.

cbcb said:
OK, I went looking and here are some pieces I think might fit into the overall strategy. (Like for someone who wants to look great but not have to open their eyes when they reach in the closet for the .05 seconds they plan to spend actually getting dressed.)

Ralph Lauren Cashmere Jersey Scoopneck

Ralph Lauren 'Lauren' Tweed Haskell Circle Skirt

VS Slim Jean in a darker-than-that antique vintage wash (dark muted bluegreen really).. or okay okay find a pricier pair. But I like the simple aspect of these :P

Definitely one of the pairs of boots from the first reply in this thread. :smile:

Having trouble finding the kind of sweaters I like.. yikes - actually, there's a lot of fashion out there that does *not* fit what I'm looking for. Sigh.

jcrew and vince has lots of cashmere and wool sweaters. they come in all kinds of colors are the price range is pretty good too. or maybe they will have something at banana republic?

im not too crazy about those jeans. :huh:
id go for something lowrise/bootcut rather than something taht sits at waist / straight leg.
bootcuts and a little bit of lowrise (not LOW, but below the waist.. you know) flatter everyone i think ^_^

if you are looking for cheaper denim, gap, express, and levis are great too

cloud9 said:
jcrew and vince has lots of cashmere and wool sweaters. they come in all kinds of colors are the price range is pretty good too. or maybe they will have something at banana republic?

im not too crazy about those jeans. :huh:
id go for something lowrise/bootcut rather than something taht sits at waist / straight leg.
bootcuts and a little bit of lowrise (not LOW, but below the waist.. you know) flatter everyone i think ^_^

if you are looking for cheaper denim, gap, express, and levis are great too

Point taken :smile: I do love the really dark blue washes out there, and not too 'true blue' even if dark. My faves have a lot of deep deep green in them or a grey/black cast to the blue.

low- mid rise bootcut jeans, ribbed, thin turtleneck & v neck sweater, button down oxford shirt, pencil skirt, wide leg or bootcut trousers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->