What to Wear to a Rock Concert...

I often wear massive platforms to see above the crowd, but I find platforms more comfortable than traditional heels. That's how I can bear it. The heels are thick and that alleviates some pressure, plus the arch isn't as pronounced. Hey, people could dance in discos all night, wearing them in the '70s...

My clothes have never gotten messed up and I'm always in the rough spots, wanting to get as near to the stage as possible. I just hate bringing a purse when I don't have any pockets (which I usually don't, since I usually wear dresses). I dress up really fancily then stand like, right in the middle of a mosh pit just to get closer. It must be a sight.

I tend to wear platforms, too as I'm never close to the stage and want to have a good view. I prefer standing somewhat in the middle, close to the bar. I drink some beer, watch the band play, have a chit-chat. As I'm having Phoenix and Matt&Kim on my list for fall, I guess I will be fine with that.
But I have to say, I hate that it's always fall when the good bands come to play, you always have to bring a jacket and a purse and tons of stuff. I have had the most horrible experiences with local cloakrooms.:lol:

ya i hate having to bring stuff, i always make it if there is a guy i go with that he carries my wallet etc in his pockets :lol:

What a perfect thread!

Well.. I always seem to have to wear some item of leather, my music is heavy rock &metal so it seems to fit, so normally my outfits are either leather/pvc leggings and an americal apparell tee, or a band tee (but never the one I'm going to see) and my biker boots which I wear so much they just get more and more worn and look fab!

I'm trying to venture away from leather, but i. just. can't. do. it! :smile:

Sorry, I wandered from this thread, but I have to say that I LOVE the term "chindie"! Of course, I'm in the states where, while we have chav-like elements, we have no actual chavs. But I look forward to saying that to someone! :lol:

I think that regional musical movements and their associated dress are so fascinating. I also think it's interesting when a band that has a particular reputation in one country are perceived differently in another.

For example, Stereophonics are considered a sort of new-ish underground indie band in the states. This is because they are mostly unknown here, play small clubs and people don't know that they have like a zillion albums. Same with Kasabian, they aren't that big here, so people into them here are mostly record store/indie radio types, not the mainstream fashionable crowd.

Sorry, I wandered from this thread, but I have to say that I LOVE the term "chindie"! Of course, I'm in the states where, while we have chav-like elements, we have no actual chavs. But I look forward to saying that to someone! :lol:

I think that regional musical movements and their associated dress are so fascinating. I also think it's interesting when a band that has a particular reputation in one country are perceived differently in another.

For example, Stereophonics are considered a sort of new-ish underground indie band in the states. This is because they are mostly unknown here, play small clubs and people don't know that they have like a zillion albums. Same with Kasabian, they aren't that big here, so people into them here are mostly record store/indie radio types, not the mainstream fashionable crowd.

I find fashion associated with musical tastes are both uniform AND confusing. Over here, the whole hardcore/emo look, with the stretched ears, vans and checked shirts seems to have amalgamated with indie slacker and anti folk types. It's confusing me!

Stereophonics are just the worst thing in the world, they're even more mainstream than, say, coldplay! I shouldn't carry on with my Kasbihate, because I don't want to be rude. I do hate them so though....with my entire soul.

Ooooh, Kasbihate is nearly as good as chindie!

Yeah, I find these fashion tribes interesting. It's like a large group of acquantances become fixated with either a trendsetting person/band or in some cases a store like Top Shop/H&M. And then they all copy each other!

I'll admit that I am fascinated by Stereophonics. I saw them open for some band and all my friends were like, "oooh, they are cute, such lovely pop songs" and I was immediately suspicious of their very very expensive equipment. I find it very difficult to believe that they fill large arenas in the UK. :shock:

Razorlight is another band like that. Are they still around? I saw them with like 10 other people in the club and we were like "huh. really?" But the big difference was that Stereophonics were really humble and sweet while Razorlight seemed pretty angry that we stupid Americans just DIDN'T GET IT.

Oh wait, this thread is about gig clothes. Yes to comfortable platform shoes!

I find fashion associated with musical tastes are both uniform AND confusing. Over here, the whole hardcore/emo look, with the stretched ears, vans and checked shirts seems to have amalgamated with indie slacker and anti folk types. It's confusing me!

Stereophonics are just the worst thing in the world, they're even more mainstream than, say, coldplay! I shouldn't carry on with my Kasbihate, because I don't want to be rude. I do hate them so though....with my entire soul.

'Kasbihate' all you like we're all entitled to our own opinions, I'm used to it...

This is a forum where you're meant to express your opinions so feel free to 'express'

Ohhh and previously mentioned 'gig boots' have since died RIP :( I had to wear flats to a gig the other week, my left foot was bruised so much I literally thought I had broke it! Thank god I have some new gig boots :wink:

mardybum8, my condolences about the gig boots! :flower:

I have a favorite pair: black, vegan, 3.5" rubber heel, buckles and about mid-calf. They are the most confortable shoes ever. I have stood for hours in them. They have gone to the Royal Albert Hall, Coachella, Paris and Tokyo. I have worn them with pretty summer dresses as well as with jeans. :heart:

Sadly, I have had them for about three years so now they only come out for special events. Had I known, I would have bought several more pairs. I will be so sad when they die. I keep buying replacements, but they are never the same. *sigh*

My failsafe gig outfit for about 8 years is: babydoll dress + cowboy/biker boots + satchel. I don't wear tights because I always get farrr too hot, and the boots prevent my feet from getting stamped on. I once wore a pair of jazz shoes with a tiny heel and regretted it for the whole concert.

As my concert fall season is over now, I have to say I am repulsed by the uniformity with which people of certain musical tastes dress. It's so unoriginal and annoying and most of all I hate it that a crowd that listens to music far away from mainstream tastes gives you the dumbest looks if you didn't show up in jeans, flat boots and a hoodie.
The one concert I have been to this fall where there were actually kind, extremely fashionable people was the Horrors who played in the dirtiest, smallest club in the dodgiest corner of my town. You really have to go a long way for some individuality in music these days.

Sorry my comment was a bit patronising, I was having a bad day yesterday :ninja: I get a bit defensive of this 'lad rock' tag they've been branded with, just because they're a little bit cocky and believe in their music they get branded with this horrid label that most journalists use when they're being lazy and see that the band are from somewhere north of Watford :innocent:

I understand why you don't like then they're not for everyone obviously but when I saw the kooks in the same list that also triggered me off :yuk:

I know what group of people you're reffering to but I don't understand how they can be a chav and indie at the same time, surely it just totally contradicts both definations of the word?

Indie is a dying breed. You can't be 'independent' anymore when everyone is dressing the same, it's not a sub-culture anymore either it's being merged into popular culture which again completely defies the object. Same goes music wise, all the 'indie' bands are being snapped up by major record labels therefore not so 'independent' anymore

I hate all these little boxes that everyone and every band must fit in

---------

My boots are so worn out! I need some new ones but they don't look right to me when they're all new, I like them aged a bit ^_^

I must agree. 'Indie' is irrelevant. It seems there is so much ruckus about going against the grain that it self implodes and does the exact opposite.

There are better things to focus on though. Forget the labels and the boxes.

I don't really go to all that many gigs, but I'm not a jeans person so what gets worn is usually a dress/skirt+t-shirt of some kind, with or without stockings (I prefer those over tights because there's no gusset), with a big jacket/parka over the lot if it's cold, and hiking boots because I don't like my feet getting stamped on or my shoes ruined. I don't normally carry a bag since everything goes in my jacket pockets anyway. And a head accessory or two (feathered headbands/sparkly bows) if I have the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to go quite over the top at gigs, it's an excuse to dress up and stand out for me, so last Sunday it was leather hotpants, lace tights and thigh boots with a black tshirt. Usually it's a mini dress made out of a band tshirt, or a short skirt with stockings and suspenders and new rocks or docs. Bearing in mind most of the fans of my guys band are 50+ and a staunch jeans and tshirt brigade this is quite out there.
Its fun ^_^

As my concert fall season is over now, I have to say I am repulsed by the uniformity with which people of certain musical tastes dress. It's so unoriginal and annoying and most of all I hate it that a crowd that listens to music far away from mainstream tastes gives you the dumbest looks if you didn't show up in jeans, flat boots and a hoodie.
The one concert I have been to this fall where there were actually kind, extremely fashionable people was the Horrors who played in the dirtiest, smallest club in the dodgiest corner of my town. You really have to go a long way for some individuality in music these days.

Thats not so much the case over here in the uk. I'm glad that the horrors decided to experiment and grow with their sound though, meant that they stopped being teeny bopper like the first album. I do get what you mean about clothing snobbery though, In the world I work in I do get odd looks because I don't really dress to any sort of code, I just wear stuff that I like the look of, but it doesn't really go with the whole gentile brogues and puff sleeves that all the other girls are adorned in.

I do not get why some people wear heels at rock concert.
Why? you will stand, dance and jump all night long.

I allways wear some kind of dress, tights/leggings, flat shoes and that´s it.
the most comfotable rock concert outfit.

^I agree. It's a bit ridiculous, but you know the saying "Fashion kills"...

You can stand, jump and dance in high heels, too. I don't get why it's ridiculous...Plus, it makes you taller and you see better.

^hahah that heels makes you taller and you see better thing is a good point. but I personally just cannot stand heels and standing in heels and jumping around in heels. just me, but everyone have their style :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->