What to wear when you're a tourist

CoutureGirl7

Reaction score
do any of you happen to know what the typical style/fashion is for young people in nice, france? i am visiting there for 3 wks this summer and i don't want to stand out as a "typical american tourist". also... would mini-skirts seem unappropriate/sluty over there? thanks in advance

I love Nice.. and you will too.. beautiful! and good shopping. :wink:

Originally posted by luna@Mar 29th, 2004 - 10:36 pm
I love Nice.. and you will too.. beautiful! and good shopping. :wink:
hehe.. cool, but what about their general style?

also... care if you'd give me some shopping recs? :wink: :wink:

:wink: i'm going to there at my semester break as well..about the middle of april

i'm wondering which hotel is better though..

I think leyla m. will give you the best advice. Where are you, leyla?

From my traveling experience in Europe (and I'm an american too, sort of), a typical young american tourist wears sweatshirts, baseball hats, running/cross training sneackers, khaki shorts, khaki pants. Avoid those, and you'll be fine. However, it's not what earns americans disrespect, it's their loud, snobby, disregardful manner of behavior. Learn a few words in french, behave civilly, and you will never encounter any problems. I never have, and I've been to Europe plenty (I'd like to move there, actually...)

Originally posted by faust@Mar 30th, 2004 - 11:04 am

From my traveling experience in Europe (and I'm an american too, sort of), a typical young american tourist wears sweatshirts, baseball hats, running/cross training sneackers, khaki shorts, khaki pants. Avoid those, and you'll be fine. However, it's not what earns americans disrespect, it's their loud, snobby, disregardful manner of behavior. Learn a few words in french, behave civilly, and you will never encounter any problems. I never have, and I've been to Europe plenty (I'd like to move there, actually...)
although i have met some nice americans during my travels, the disrespectful ones greatly overshadow them. a woman ran over my feet with a stroller and stared at me incredulously like i just shot her baby.

and then there are those who sew canadian flags on their bags :rolleyes:
i hope these aren't the "patriots"...

Originally posted by whereisthatsusu+Mar 30th, 2004 - 9:39 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whereisthatsusu @ Mar 30th, 2004 - 9:39 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Mar 30th, 2004 - 11:04 am

although i have met some nice americans during my travels, the disrespectful ones greatly overshadow them. a woman ran over my feet with a stroller and stared at me incredulously like i just shot her baby.

and then there are those who sew canadian flags on their bags :rolleyes:
i hope these aren't the "patriots"... [/b][/quote]
lol, no those are the rude canadians who think that americans are disliked because they are americans, not because they are rude slobs. ironically i've met some canadians that make americans look like royalty. consider this episode in Prague - I am peacefully standing on one of the balconies in Prazhsky Hrad (a castle, one of the main attractions), when a bunch of canadians with the flag pins on their hats loudly stumble out on the balcony, timidly followed by the native guide. the guide tries to explain to them about the statue of a baby that can be seen from the balcony and its significance, when one tourist rudely breaks in, "oh, she brought us here to stare at a statue of some naked baby?" the guide was stupefied...

anyway, i'm not trying to promote stereotypes, but i saw with my eyes what i saw with my eyes...

hmmmmm from what i can remember........lots of tacky tacky clothes

think versace..........trying to be obvious, gold jewellery, white stiletto's

hey acid..

oh, ok.. alright
what about my mini-skirt question? would they seem inappropriate for their taste?

IMO ppl dress badly there. Paris is extremely stylish. Nice is not. Far from it actually.

OK OK IM HERE!!!!!! B)

basically french girls ADORE mini skirts. they always have and will. so thats not a probelm.
NICE is not like its neighbouring city MONACO, therefore the "bling" is not present at all :rolleyes: . Nice would be more considered ghetto for some. and you actually better NOT wear anything too flashy if walking on the streets.
depending how old you are, the girls still love to wear sneakers of all sorts. preferably still some high tops. :doh:
you can wear cropped jeans and flat sandals if its warmish (which it is already).
basically everything is allowed. :wink:

leyla , my words exactly !!! You can also see some stylish ppl in Cannes but Nice is more kinda "ghetto." :P :lol:

I'm having trouble reconciling "Nice" and "ghetto" in the same sentence. Can you describe what you mean by this? :unsure:

Originally posted by tealady@Apr 2nd, 2004 - 12:42 pm
I'm having trouble reconciling "Nice" and "ghetto" in the same sentence. Can you describe what you mean by this? :unsure:
uhm let me try.

the entire south of france is considered as posh and therefore the people usually look accordingly.
NICE however is the only city nearby where i live thats got a ghetto feel to it on a daily basis.
the locals are not as glamourous as one would imagine (and i really hope we havent got any NIçOIS readin this) :ninja:
what most people dont realise is that when they come in summer, its a mixture of tourists who mostly dress up at nights or during the day, make an effort.

also, there are a lot of little ghetto kids who make me feel uncomfortable dressing up too much in NICE. they hang around more or less on the roads until they decide to get to a specific location.
i guess ghetto is relative... but then again i call my bro ghetto as well cause when he comes to the south (he lives in posh paris) he just somehow doesnt fit it :lol:

anyway, NICE is perfectly fine. but once you been to monaco or cannes (30 hour by car each) you will notice a difference in clothes...... usually :innocent:

Originally posted by leyla m.+Apr 2nd, 2004 - 8:05 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leyla m. @ Apr 2nd, 2004 - 8:05 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tealady@Apr 2nd, 2004 - 12:42 pm
uhm let me try.

the entire south of france is considered as posh and therefore the people usually look accordingly.
NICE however is the only city nearby where i live thats got a ghetto feel to it on a daily basis.
the locals are not as glamourous as one would imagine (and i really hope we havent got any NIçOIS readin this) :ninja:
what most people dont realise is that when they come in summer, its a mixture of tourists who mostly dress up at nights or during the day, make an effort.

also, there are a lot of little ghetto kids who make me feel uncomfortable dressing up too much in NICE. they hang around more or less on the roads until they decide to get to a specific location.
i guess ghetto is relative... but then again i call my bro ghetto as well cause when he comes to the south (he lives in posh paris) he just somehow doesnt fit it :lol:

anyway, NICE is perfectly fine. but once you been to monaco or cannes (30 hour by car each) you will notice a difference in clothes...... usually :innocent: [/b][/quote]
hehe... thanks so much leyla. nice's "ghetto" style is still probably posh compared to my small town's sense of style anyways :wink: i'm assuming that you've been there before, right? perhaps you could give me some shopping recs or places to do/visit?

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@May 27th, 2004 - 7:51 pm
You should dress like this... :wink:
that is very pretty and totally fits in :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YourGalSylvia
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->