What to Wear to an Interview for a Job or an Internship in the Fashion Industry?

shopgirl

Reaction score
what do u guys recommend to wear to an interview - this company is very small, but same caliber as balenciaga, narcisco rodriguez....

I still usually wear a paint set or skirt with blazer. Again it depends on what company this is. I don't like to be overboard or simply things.

If it's a fashion company, I'd say go for a combination of two things:

1) Look professional
2) Look like you understand their house aesthetic, but do it without just wearing their stuff head to toe. Just have a savvy allusion to their style incorporated into your outfit somewhere.

Defintiely look professional! Always avoid anything that's too revealing or looks sloppy or too dressed down. And it's still an interview, so it's a good idea to follow the normal rules, like remembering to bring spare resumes with you.

Look stylish, but as someone said before, it's a bad idea to dress in their clothing from head to toe, and I would also avoid being overly trendy or wearing multiple trends together. These people are very aware of fashion, and I don't think they're going to be impressed with someone who just piles on the most current trends...after all, in the high fashion industry they are creating and predicting the next big trends (often several months before they hit the shelves), instead of just replicating what's currently in the window of a store. It's better just to show an innate sense of style by taking a piece from them and incorporating it into your outfit, or incorporating other unique items that show your own personal sense of style, or maybe wearing a current trend they are part of in an unusual way. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a Fashion Co...

1.You're applying to a Fashion house so look like someone who belongs in a fashion house. Be stylish. Not outlandish. Minimalism with clean lines and stylin does the trick.

Wall Street type co...

2. Be conservative. Blazer, skirt up to knee. Black pumps and don't forget stockings.

B)

So, what do you WEAR to an interview?

Hi All!
I have an internship interview with Kenneth Cole coming up and I was wondering if I should wear a suit? I would probably have to buy one. It's an internship/open house kind of thing so I'm guessing its a bit more casual. Would business/casual ie. nice shirt/pants suffice?
Thanks!

that should be fine...
i always think it is rather odd when an intern interviewee shows up in a suit..

i mean...you aren't interviewing to be an executive...
so i think you should not try to look like one...

:wink:

good luck...
:flower:

Id go for nice tailored pants with heels {always a must} and some chunky jewelerry with either an open white shirt with a pretty cami under or a fine V-neck sweater.

If chunky jewlerry isnt your thing, pashmina's are the fool-proof answer or some pretty charms.

Just remember not to dress older than you are!!!

Just go check something out at the Kenneth Cole store, get an idea, and if you have something at home that you can play around with, then great, if not, max the amex. :lol:

but I agree with softie, I wouldn't go dressed in a suit, unless its a sport jacket with casual slacks and a shirt w/ no tie...

^^ I wouldn't advice *him* to go to an interview wearing high heels and pashmina:-P

How was the interview, did you make it:-)?

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I haven't actually had the interview yet, it's still 3 weeks away! I guess besides what to wear, does anyone have any ideas how to prep for such an interview? I've never had a "fashion" interview before so I don't really know what to expect. Thanks! :flower:

As an intern, you will be doing mostly grunt work and running errands. So they won't expect you to have a lot of "fashion" background yet. It will pretty much be like any job interview, so I'd put together a resume, if you havn't already ... even if you have not worked before. There's still achievements in school and clubs that can show that you are a good candidate.

But you can impress them with showing up neatly groomed, being on time and by just being polite and friendly in the interview.

They will probably ask about any realted experience ... so you can tell them about any jobs you have had ... realted or not ... and scholastic backgroundand and classses, any organizations that you were involved with, any offices that you may have held and any other acheivements that have prepared you to work in business, retail or fashion (stuff that you should already have on your resume).

You want to impress them that you are dedicated to doing the work and the you are reliable. Wanting to learn is important, but that is the reward for doing the work ... you are there to work, first and foremost ... so let them know that you understand that.

They will probably ask why you want to intern with them, so I'd have a logical answer for that, maybe stating how that will assist you with your long term goals (having short and long term goals is a good thing and show that you are serious).

I'd do some homework on the company as well, ... know things like who and what their market is, where they are headquartered, how they got started, and read any recent press releases to find out anything really important that may be impacting the company and it's employees like expansion or adding divisions. That kind of information will be on their corporate web site ... look for "investor relations" and "press" links. If you can ask them an intelligent question that shows that you have a bit of knowlege about what they do or where they are going, it would really impress the interviewer.

Don't ask questions about how they can help you ... like pay (probably none) or taking days off ... it will only make you look like you are not dedicated. Most of that information will come up ... if not in the interview, then later if they offer you the internship ... and that would be the best time to ask, if they haven't given you that information yet.

if you dont think a suit would be appropriate (i dont see why it wont, maybe i just luv a man in a suit) go with a nice dress shirt and nice slacks.

First impressions are very very important. Make sure you are properly groomed. And show good, confident body language (ex: give a firm handshake). Confidence is important but dont get cocky!

Hi, Mkfan -

Nice pants and a blouse would work for your Kenneth Cole internship interview. Make sure you look more like Kenneth Cole's clothes than Abercrombie, though. Other, old-fashioned ideas: closed-toed shoes, interesting scarf or modest jewelry, make sure your hair and make-up are good. As important as how you look are:
- know what's in their stores (go shopping!)
- know your strengths (are you good with people? numbers? colors? organized? sketching? putting outfits together?)
- be on time!

From a career counselor

What to Wear at Interviews

I have a meeting with a guy from a PR Firm that I'm hoping to land an internship with in a few days. We've been communicating a lot very informally by e-mail (about as informally as you can with a prospective employer) and he wants to meet to discuss what I can do next week. So I have that age old dilemma now - what do i wear?

It is a PR Firm in central London so I don't want to go in full on suit regalia. But I also don't want to look like I couldn't be bothered. I want to be myself. Also, this isn't exactly an interview, as he has already asked me lots of questions over email and has seen my CV, etc. He sounds pretty down to earth and cool and not at all hung up, and the company itself seems very young and laissez - faire.

Any tips would be welcome....I mean obviously you lot haven't seen my exact wardrobe, but some of you will know my style icon is of course (TFS heroine:lol: ) Kate Moss.

Please help...really want to make a good impression! :flower:

urgh this reminds me i have an interview tomorow:ninja:

im going to go smart casual black t-shirt smart cord skirt and just some flats. since we have a heatwave aswell smart would just be unbearable!

impossibleprincess i would suggest going smart casual maybe not jeans though... make the effort but not uncomfortable like you would be in a suit maybes just some nice pants/skirt and a t-shirt or top and some flats casual but making an effort! and good luck and hope you get it!

The pencil skirt wins again!

Go for heels and clothes that fit your body well. A pencil skirt and shell top (a dressier vest--to brits, or tank top--to Americans) is always a classy pairing. You can choose materials to suit the occasion. I just picked up a lovely cream lace pencil skirt that I'm wearing with a black top and black heels and a burgandy clutch. Don't worry about getting a briefcase. Take a purse you already have (clean and tidy) along with a nice looking portfolio to tuck your papers into.

Don't forget classic accessories. Leave the big pieces at home for the interview. Diamond studs (or cubic zirconia or fakes) always look classy as will a simple bracelet or two, as long as they don't jingle or look boho.

Good luck! :flower:

What to Wear & Say During a Fashion Magazine Interview?

Hi everyone,

I have 2 interviews lined up with well known Middle Eastern Fashion magazines. I think with the introduction of the new Elle Middle East version the existing magazines are looking to be more daring and get ahead with design and quality writing.

One of the magazines I am interviewing for is pretty amateur but has lots of potential. I was wondering if during the interview it would be appropriate to let them now what I think are the downfalls and what can be done to improve the magazine or if I should just keep my mouth shut unless they bring it up.

Also what should I wear? Is corporate dress to stiff for fashion magazines? Suggestions please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->