What to Wear to an Interview for a Job or an Internship in the Fashion Industry?

Keep your mouth shut about how to "improve" their mag. How would you feel if someone came into your newly built house and said, "It's got potential but you should have put this wall here and painted this room green..." etc. :shock:

Just hope that they see the potential in their mag. Sometimes what looks amateur stays amateur. Sad but true.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear what their target customer would wear to an interview :smile: Probably don't wear a boring suit. I was at a fashion industry interview once and was told by the lady interviewing me "I like how you're dressed. Other girls have come into the interviews wearing suits...hello, why would you waer something stuffy like that to a FASHION interview?". I wore a colorful wrap shirt, grey dress pants and red kitten heels. Defiantly wear something professional, not too teeny-bopper-"ish", but soemthing stylish!

So, what do you WEAR to an interview?

I hope I'm not the only one struggling with this. I always wanted to know what to wear to an interview for a fashion company.

The position is either an internship or a paying job.

So, do you dress for your personality or dress for the personality of the company? What would you guys suggest?

We fashion majors have it toughest when it comes to interviews since what we're wearing is half the interview since it's our area of expertise! I know it can be stressful! At both of my most recent interviews, where I ended up getting the jobs (one a visual merchandiser and the other a buyer intern for an upscale boutique), my interviewers made comments such as "Thank God you are dresses stylish, you wouldn't believe how many people come dressed wrong for this". One interviewer told me that she was losing hope because it seemed everyone who came for an interview was wearing a Gap turtleneck or a suit!

Just think of it this way, if you were a fashion editor doing a segment on "how to dress for an interview" from X company (that you are applying for) what would you suggest? Sometimes it helps to put it out of context a little.

Also try Lucky magazine, they often have good segments on professional dressing with style.

I think for interviews it's always best to keep it simple. Even if you're the sort of person who dresses kind of "artsy" or whatever, I think everyone can look good and feel comfortable in a black dress, or dark jeans and a nice top. Then you can add your own bit of flare with the shoes you wear or the bag you carry.

Don't forget to have one thing with you from the company you are interviewing for - something subtle and seeming unintentional. I subscribe to downplaying oneself for an internship interview. Light makeup, "sensible" clothes and shoes. Not drab, but very simple.

Most important is the personality, good manners, and a strong ability to listen and communicate.

If the person conducting the interview has an assistant, asking what would be appropriate for interview attire might be helpful.

I always wrestle with this in my head particularly since I'm looking for jobs or internships on the design side of the business. Should I dress to express myself and sell myself as a creative person, or should I dress in a way that best represents the company?

I do think it's a fine balance between the two.

I agree, keep it simple.

A nice blouse with nice black slacks and minimal jewelry will never steer you wrong.

Just think "classic".

I agree with u all, a simple outfit!
My girlfriend was interviewed a week ago, she wore an white T-Shirt with a pair of jeans and a black chanel jacket, and guess what?! SHE GOT THE JOB! :wink:

the-smiths as we all said, wear a simple outfit, I think it's summer in Europe and USA, right? So put a simple T-Shirt and a pair of pants, try to base in this outfit :

00190m.jpg

Hope it works! =D
men.style.com

For Neimans ... I'd suggest dressier than a T shirt, even a high end one. My suggestion: wear whatever their sales people wear on the sales floor. Dress as if you already have the job or nicer ... certainly not more casual. If the guys are required to wear a tie, then you should wear one to the interview ... if they must wear a sports jacket or better or at least a dress shirt ... then, guess what ... so should you. Keep it simple and smart, but not trendy/edgy.

Good luck! :flower:

I agree, it's better to be overdresses in this case, although not too overdressed...

Definitely add your own style / quirks too, but I'd wear a classic dress or ensemble, and maybe add some quirky accessories, or bright shoes to highlight the outfit.

^ Guys can wear a nice button up t-shirt, nice jeans, and dress shoes.

^Ya, exactly. If I was in the position to apply for a job as a hedge fund manager, or a member of a Board, I'd come with my best Zegna or Tom Ford suit :lol:

Well surely you would know how to dress if it were in a higher position..:unsure:

You would hope....I have interviewed people for corporate positions and they come in in all sorts of lovliness...There's a lot of questions on this board that need clairification though and I definitely think this was one of them.

^Ya, lol. Like, my dad is the kind of person who still thinks "As long as it fits...." and all I'm thinking is "Dad.... I spend enough of your money already, you can wear my clothes, please, just let the stuff from the 80's and 90's in the wardrobe, take my custom tailored pants, please please, I beg you!"

When people got money and don't care about it, they really believe that they can wear whatever they want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->