What to Wear to an Interview for a Job or an Internship in the Fashion Industry?

Does anyone know what would be the best outfit to wear for a fashion school interview?

I have an interview lined up for F.I.T coming up , and then Parsons, and I was wondering if I should wear the "usual" interview attire, or if I should emphasize my personal style?

Is denim (dressed up) totally out of the question for a top high-fashion magazine?

Does anyone know what would be the best outfit to wear for a fashion school interview?

I have an interview lined up for F.I.T coming up , and then Parsons, and I was wondering if I should wear the "usual" interview attire, or if I should emphasize my personal style?

A guess ... show some personal style, but don't make it look too kooky/weird/avant garde. Yo u want to give the impression that you are serious about fashion, not just a fashion victim.

Is denim (dressed up) totally out of the question for a top high-fashion magazine?

No denim ... if you question it all all, then the answer is no. See if you can find out what everyone wears to work ... and look as dressy as they are, or a tad better. Only ... if everyone, including the top bosses, wear denim should you even attempt it for an interview.

I went for a Harper's Bazaar internship interview a few weeks ago and I wore a grey dress that looks really formal and 4 inch-heels. End up the two editors that talked to me were dressed in a really casual way, like jeans and a nice top.

It's good that you dressed as nice as or better than them ... so they don't think that you are too casual in your attitude about the job. It never hurts to look a bit dressier and it always hurts to look too casual. It's best if you can hit it right on the mark, but that would require some sleuthing in advance. If the office is a big one with a big lobby, you could pop in or at least look in in to see what eveyone is wearing ... or call the receptionist and tell her that you are coming in for a job interview and wondered what the dress code was.

Last edited by a moderator:
i interviewed 4 girls the other day for a top position at my store..
all of them were dressed differently.
the most appealing being one who wore super skinnies with flat Devi Kroell Python boots over them and a black top. quite casual but she appealed the most to me.
one of them was a CSM and LCF graduate and she wore 90 peach coloured jeans with holes (meant to be) that were lined in colourful fabric... not a good look if you wanna work in fashion... :unsure:

i interviewed 4 girls the other day for a top position at my store..
all of them were dressed differently.
the most appealing being one who wore super skinnies with flat Devi Kroell Python boots over them and a black top. quite casual but she appealed the most to me.
one of them was a CSM and LCF graduate and she wore 90 peach coloured jeans with holes (meant to be) that were lined in colourful fabric... not a good look if you wanna work in fashion... :unsure:

Wow that girl looks like she was dressed for a day at school!! I would NEVER dress for an interview in the same way I dress for school!!

I have a question. I have a job interview on Jan. 2 and I'm a bit confused with what to wear. See, it's a photography studio and I'm not sure if I should go with smart casual or a formal... Help?:blush:

If it's a portrait sudio, where they shoot regular people ... I would say office attire ... conservative and business like.

If it's a fashion/commercial photography studio where they shoot ads, fashion, models .. a bit trendier.

But that also depends on what the job is. If you are going to be a photographer's assistant on set, casual and dark is best with comfortable shoes that slip off easily. If you are going to be a receptionist greeting the clients, then trendy works but it still needs to be geared for business. When in doubt, keep it conservative with maybe one cool accessory. In other words, dress to do the job ... so they can see how you will come to work ... but make it just a bit better by being perfectly pressed and clean, carefully put together.

I have an interview for an internship in a few weeks at IT USA (international fashion shows) and another one with ID Models. I would love suggestions on what to wear for both interviews. I definitely want to look simple and clean, but being casual or not is the question. Hair down? Hair up? Would jeans be okay with a blouse, heels and a coat? Is denim out of the question? Jewelry? I need suggestions, asap. Help? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have an interview in an hour with a company that s like Topshop. they re looking for designers.
am dressed all in black
wide bottom black pants, with wooden heel peep toe shoes, black fitted turtle neck and short sleeved suede jacket with ribbing on neck and sleeves.

it all looks simple but very stylish my best accessory is my engagement ring that s kinda bigB)

Most of the designers where my dad works (Tom Ford) either dress in suits or really casual (like jeans). I'm only at uni, but when I turned up for internship interviews at Gucci and Zegna, I just wore a nice suit. Didn't go with a tie and left top button undone. Worked for me but then I'm doing stuff in marketing/PR and not creative.

I think, as a guy, you can't really go wrong with a fitted dark suit and an open crisp white shirt . . . standard Tom Ford look, in fact.

what about for a job interview in an upscale department store for more handbags, jewewlery (accessories)? any suggestions? boots flats or heels? dress or more simple?

It's best to dress for the job you are applying for ... so you look the part and look like you are ready to work, but just a touch nicer, in most cases. Copy thier salespeople on the floor ... if that is where you will be working. Most upscale dept. stores have a dress code ... ask someone on the floor what it is and make sure you comply. Boots may or may not ba acceptable ... depending on the store. Heels if they are too high could be perceived as being hard to walk in and therefore, you might not be as nimble on your feet as they would like you to be ... so keep it stylish, but not outrageous. Keep everything classy ... not trendy ... and just a couple very nice acsessories.

Boutique Interview Attire

I did a search but couldn't find this thread.
I may have a boutique interview in the next few days (Max Mara) Can I get some suggestions on what I can wear? I honestly don't like wearing suits, I feel very restricted in them and unnatural! I was thinking a stylish white shirt, I have a great pair of black Theory pants, kind of a mix between straight leg and skinny. and my Camel CL's (Simple) with a camel colored leather snake skin embossed Furla bag. and a red coat with waist tie. The coat is a thin almost felt like fabric (I'm not sure I'm explaining it right :smile:) any jewelry? i always wear my Cartier watch. Please help!

wear a suit, it's all about professional appearance during an interview

^yes I know, I may just throw a blazer/jacket over what I was originally wear. I do want to blend in with their style.

What you've planned to wear sounds perfect, it's not a corporate job so you don't have to wear a suit at all. It is possible to look professional and appropriate for an interview without wearing a suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->