Who will be Giorgio Armani's successor?

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
Im surprised there isnt a thread about this topic in here!

Ive looked up info online and tonight during a conference with a Condenastie the topic came up ... sources online (and on the conference) mentioned how supposedly his nephew if being groomed to be his successor at the label.

Dont know much about it, but still Id like to open the floodgates and think which famous designer would be good for the house ... Narciso? Pilati?

You tell me!

thanks for noting that! I had already seen that thread but its more about YSL and Pilati than anything else ... even though its kinda related I just wanted to create a chatter about Armani specifically ... :smile:

I know he's geared for Versace, but I always thought Christopher Kane would be good for doing the Armani aesthetic. I don't know if anyone would agree with me, though.

I hope it's not Pilati (I doubt it would be him anyways) because I absolutely love the work he's doing at YSL. However, I know the majority of tFSers disagree with me. Narciso Rodriguez sounds alright, but I'm uncertain about the direction he'd take the brand.

I think Tisci would be good :smile:
it would be kinda random tho

I think Narciso Rodriguez has too much of a minimalist streak in him to design for such a twin-set house. I wouldn't want to see his work suffer because of it.
I also don't want Pilati there, same reason as TianSoFine, I like him too much at Saint Laurent, plus, like my thoughts for Rodriguez, I don't want his creativity to suffer.
Giorgio Armani is an extremely important fashion house but it doesn't push boundaries; it sells.
It needs a designer that can realistically design following Armani's lead; revolution is not necessary, it isn't a sleepy, dawdling house (though it often seems like it), it just needs to continue.

^you see, i disagree, i think that barring tom ford or some other marquee designer of that level, someone with a minimal aesthetic like narciso rodriguez would serve as the perfect pick. also, unlike some other names on the list, he still has his own house to express his own creative vision while he turns out clothes for the armani woman.

Pilati is too intellectual and cold for Armani (YSL too, but that is a different discussion), the intellectual part is actually more objectionable than the cold part.

Armani needs someone who can bring the glamour without straying into tacky or kitsch.

I do think Narciso would be a great fit ... and that double house thing, he's done it before!

Remember that he did Loewe for a while whislt showing his label in NY and I dont recall his label to suffer from it (or at least not as much as Williamson and Pucci).

I read somewhere Pilati worked in Armani, didnt he? Id be curious to see his stuff there ...

261em.jpg

I found this on Aldo Fallai's site, the photographer who has been working with Armani for long time.
And the title is intriguing, Etro per Giorgio Armani, which I think was once two brands crossover project in the 1980s.
and I feel it would be a hit if now becoming Giorgio Armani per Etro, especially Kean Etro.

and by the way, who knows what Etro per Giorgio Armani was like? I wanna know more about that.

aldofallai.com

^interesting...

Honestly I'd rather have someone new come in. Either from his own family or an unknown. Kind of don't want to be reminded of what those other designers mentioned above have done before

I think we have Giorgio Armani for a looong time, but if someone takes his place, will be like McQueen, a person from his atelier, his right hand, for sure.

^IMO, that would be a good choice, because they understand the direction, aesthetic, etc. However, I do hope that it's not an accessories person at the brand that takes over, because we know what happens after...

Hedi Slimane for Giorgio Armani has a supreme sound, doesn't it?

He would be so perfect to revitalize some desperately needed energy into the label. And with his understanding of fit and tailoring, and his regal and restrained style of androgyny, there is no one better to deconstruct the classic Armani silhouette for a new generation but still keep the faithful old clientele happy.

^IMO, that would be a good choice, because they understand the direction, aesthetic, etc. However, I do hope that it's not an accessories person at the brand that takes over, because we know what happens after...
PLease Not!!!
The Valentino effect with Armani, nooo!!!
:lol:
Hedi needs he own line, an Armani "Sarah Burton" would be great.

It's expected of Hedi to have his own line. And for the most part, he does deserve it, but chances are, the designs will be much like what he's already done for Dior Homme.

What would be exciting, and a challenge for him is to revamp and inject some energy into the Armani label, which, Armani himself, seems to be quite willing to do with his collaborative efforts with Gaga (which turned out really awful), and his attempts at a more youthful spirit in his own collections.

Armani does not need a "Sarah Burton": He hasn't passed away and needs someone to carry on the same look. He needs someone to revamp his label. (The women's collections are quite stunning from time to time. But the men's is horrible-- just terribly dated.)

^armani menswear is also terribly successful, one must note.

I also wonder whether Armani's successor will have to design for the several other Armani lines like Giorgio does, from Prive to Emporio?
If so, this surely limits the choice of successor even further? How many designers are capeable of thousands of different designs each year, with different inspirations, for different markets.
I can imagine menswear definately being taken up by a different designer to womenswear at least.. but who knows? Bring in the talent!

In contradiction to my earlier post, I say send Pilati to Armani and install Slimane at YSL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->