Why Do You Shop with Friends who have Similar Taste?

bagsnthings

Reaction score
I don't quite understand why women shop with other friends who they know have similar taste in apparel or who has no "fashion sense" or individually. You always run the risk of that person "waiting" around for you to pick-up a few items and then running over to the same rack and purchase everything you just bought.

This has happened to me several times so now I shop alone or with my sister. I also don't tell some of my friends and associates who I know won't think twice about "biting my style" where I purchase my clothing and accessories. I just get real vague on them and tell them "oh it was a gift" or "I bought it online somewhere". I actually had a co-worker copy my outfit right now to the shoes, she must have spend all weekend long hunting down my purchases, cause I don't ever recall telling her where I bought them from.

It's strange to say, but all of my good friends do NOT have the same taste in clothing as I do. Not to say they aren't stylish, but I go for a more cool, laid-back look...whereas my closest friend is totally into the boho scene, and another good friend is sporty (and much taller) than me.

I'm talking about the kind of friends who always compliment you on the way you dress or your sense of style; or the ones that are always asking "where did you get that from" and then you see them a week or two later sporting the top, the same bag, shoes, accessories, etc. and they walk right by you and don't even acknowledge the source.

I know exactly what you mean! :P I have a friend who I feel copies everything I do.. she always asks where I bought this, how I do my hair, what I eat..??? :blink: haha I'm still friends with her, but it gets quite annoying sometimes.

I don't have much advice though (without just telling them to stop copying you!), though you could come in one day wearing an ugly outfit or something and let her copy all she wants.. :innocent: :lol:

my very close friend does this...
it got to the point that i had to confront her about it...

we have worked out a deal where she has agreed not to wear anything she knows i have when she knows she's going to see me...

^_^...

I can absolutley relate to this topic, which is why I shop solo! I also use the "vague" technique and I also, until I recently realized it, would subconsciously not wear an item until it was out of stores so they couldn't just go out and buy the exact same thing. Seems to work for me...

I resorted to this behaviour after one of my best friends went out and bought the exact same piece as me 3 times in a row :angry: I don't mind sharing good deals and basics that are a shame to pass up, but when I save up for something special and then someone comes in and swoops it up right behind me... well, that really gets my goat!!

However, my friends think it's weird that I feel that way. They think I should take it as a compliment as "it's the sincerest form of flattery". But I just don't want to look like a clone. I struggle with that dichotomy...

Heh I have a coworker who always cooincidentally buys things very similar to what I show up to work wearing. It's flattering and annoying all at once.

Thankfully my best girlfriend, who I always shop with, has a style completely opposite to mine. We both appreciate each other's looks, but thankfully never purchase the same items as one another.. :wink:

We do have fun swapping items and then creating a look around them.. that's our once a week "fashion challenge" lol. *feeling silly admitting that* but if anybody would understand it's you guys... :wink:

relating all day......i had a classic j crew shirt dress that I absolutely love. once again a co-worker told me how great she thought the dress was and you know what's next, "where did you get it". I told her because I knew it was out of stock and I got it 2 seasons back. Well damn, if this girl did not move heaven and earth to find a dress shirt, sooooo similar to mine -- i know she hated it that she could not get the exact same one, but boy did she try reallll hard. i was quite annoyed

hate shopping with others, i never enjoy myself

Strange to say I've never had this problem...

I hate to look the same to begin with so I usually only buy one-of-a-kind items, vintage, unfashionable "style challenges" :lol:, or make my own and then style them with more basic "manufactured" stuff. Everyone's mo~~re than welcome to go and buy the same "manufactured" stuff since they're bought with the full understanding that others may own it anyway, and they are never items that define my outfit. Hey, I'd even feel happy to help!

When I occasionally ask my friends where they got certain items they often happily offer "Oooh, thanks, I'll get you one too!!" which I of course gratefully decline...:D

i shop alone. sometimes with my friend, but we have different style and tastes so it's fine.

I prefer to shop alone or with my mom. I have one friend who kind of tries to copy my style. It's flattering and annoying at the same time, but I try not to let it bother me too much.

Most of the time, I shop alone since I don't have any friends who can shop as much as I do (I can shop at least 8 hours nonstop - no food, just a bottle of water). Other times, I shop with my mom, mom-in-law, sisters-in-law, and we all have different styles. It's actually kind of fun.

I have people copying my style as well, actually, my coworker sitting next to me does that all the time. And she will even come into my office and ask me "how do I look?" That's makes me really mad:yuk:

i've never had this problem does this mean im a bad dresser and no one likes my style:cry:

ah well saves me the problem of having a look alike:lol:

Nahhh... my bestest friendest wears American Eagle and Abercrombie. She isn't a victim, though, it's totally her style. My other friends don't put alot of thought into their clothing.... so it's me, my mom and Salvation Army :D

always alone. Hate shopping with someone else, I feel I can't be spontaneous - everything has to be validated.

On a similar note to what others have posted, I once had a friend who cut her hair because she thought I had...sorry thing was, mine was only tied up, which she found out to her dismay when I wore it down the next time we met :lol:

i can only shop with abt six of my frnds
they are my closest frnds & luckily we all understand one anothers individuality
& tht it's important to us to be individual :heart:

i prefer shopping with frnds with similar taste
as long as we both understand each other
otherwise i find myself being fake & forcedly enthusiastic abt things i don't even like ! :ninja:
i can't cope with this for long periods of time !

same as a lot of you guys
i can be very vague with where i buy things
if i know the person picks up on things like tht ! :shifty:
i hate to admit this ! :lol:

i love when ppl ask me where i got my stuff
& i tell them i made it. HA ! :innocent:

stilista ppl often ask me where i got my hair cut
& they get annoyed when i tell them i hack at it myself ! :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads