Why Do You Shop with Friends who have Similar Taste?

I shop casually with friends kind of more mooching then buying but for serioud shopping like for clothes etc. I shop alone. I prefare it, go were you want for as long as you want and no rushing in the changing rooms not to feel mean on your friend.

My closest friends see me for the fashion-obsessed person I really am. So, even though their style may be different from mine's they understand what I like and so shopping with them isn't that diffcult with them when it comes to tastefulness. But, they do from time to time complain about me spending to much time in a shop then buying so little or nothing. I like much better to shop by myself but then I usually go with my sister

tiamaria said:
I shop casually with friends kind of more mooching then buying.

This is another reason, why I shop alone. When I take my sister she is mooching! I end up buying more stuff for her than myself. I try real hard not to mention if I'm going to one of her favorites spots, because she will start mooching from the first rack!

Oh my god, I get copied left right and centre. I've stopped telling people where I get stuff because it's getting so ridiculous. I've had to resort to basically shopping online or hitting up my mom when she feels like spending generous amounts of money at Holt Renfrew ... :blush:

I have a friend I absolutely can not shop with. We have the exact same taste, so she is always trying to jet around the store first so that she can grab something before me. It's so awful! She literally runs ahead of me so that she can grab anything cute first, before I have a chance to even step through the entrance. So, I no longer shop with her. :D

yea the style copying thing is so annoying. If I do shop with friends I make sure we have completely different styles. But most of the time that can create a problem because you usually both end up bitching about how much you dont like what eachothers buying lol. Shopping alone is the best. Noone's opinion but your own B)

When I go to thrift stores, I shop alone. I usually have to spend lots of time picking through racks to find good things, so I get into a relaxed mental state when I thrift. Not quite contemplative, but just quiet, so I like to be alone.

But when I shop otherwise, my fiance goes along. He actually likes holding the things I want to try on. I call him my junior valet. :P

dulcedeleche said:
I have a friend I absolutely can not shop with. We have the exact same taste, so she is always trying to jet around the store first so that she can grab something before me. It's so awful! She literally runs ahead of me so that she can grab anything cute first, before I have a chance to even step through the entrance. So, I no longer shop with her. :D

You just described one of the people I USE to shop with years ago, breaking her neck to get in the store before me :angry: , its like she made it her business to know exactly what items I would gravitate to in the store, and thats what SHE was walking out with. Had to kill that whole shopping-together bit real fast! Recently my younger sister was doing that to me for a while too (but, hey she's my sister) so I had to talk to her about it and we're cool now. I try not to tell her if am going shopping, but sometimes its just unavoidable or she gets it out of me, so I end up bringing her with me, I love the chick but, you know how that works, she's a pain!

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate shopping with people. hate hate hate it. i lose my groove and get totally distracted. it's much more fun when i can take my time and focus on what i like... otherwise, i find myself leaving a store with something i don't really love/want or that doesn't fit well.

i like shopping with a good girlfriend for fun....
sometimes its really nice to have someone there who knows you and can see things with a little more perspective than you often have...
i know i have moments where i will stand there in something for half an hour and just not being able to figure out if its quite flattering or not....
a little outside opinion can never hurt....
though i have ended up buying things my friends have said 'NO' to and had them become some of my favorite pieces....

my best friend is usually fantastic to shop with...
she is honest, but open minded... very patient....
and is one of those people that reminds me that i can always walk around for a few more hours and think about a certain piece....and then come back if i decide i really want it...
because i am more of an impulse buyer....and forget that it wont fly out of the store the minute i lead my eye elsewhere....

but for the most part i shop alone....and enjoy myself....
i find i have more freedom that way....
i can play with different pieces and take my time trying different combinations and different sizes without worrying that i'm exhausting someone....

ive had a few problems with friends running out to buy the same pieces...or ones very similar...
actually mostly with one friend in particular...
i used to joke about it, to try and hint that it became uncomfortable for me....i'm not sure she really got it...
eventually i let her buy what she wanted....people used to come to me and say 'you know who i saw walking down the street trying to look like a clone of you...!....she cant pull it off'....
i felt bad....:lol:....

but most of the pieces i end up with werent things she was able to buy an exact replica of...
so it sort of worked out...
and even if we had a few of the same pieces, i would find a way to wear them in such strange combinations that they'd never really look like the same pant or shirt anyway....

but i completely understand the pain....:doh:

Id prefer not shopping with friends, you can't do what you want. They always want to leave before you're done. Also back home I had a friend who was literally waiting for me to say what is nice or what I'll buy just so he can totally bite. I find that so annoying. Then they'll go on and brag about it to their seperate group of friends like they discovered it and say they own it when they really don't. I hate biters and liars!

I've had friends who did that. It bothered me a lot and I ended up just pretty much shopping with my "shopping buddy" who is my best guy friend who's gay (because I know my straight guy friends would never understand why I feel like I have to browse around a store as opposed to just knowing what I need) and lately, I've finally come to enjoy shopping alone. Makes me feel like I can take my time and look around more.

I prefer shopping alone. I don't really like asking peoples opinions when I shop and i dislike the pressure when they go, oh buy it, it looks so good on you. There has been too many bad purchases because of that.

I never shop with friends, for two reasons:

1. The friend may buy the same thing (as you say).
2. I am a hardcore shopper, I don't get much done with someone tagging along and/or worrying about taking too long.

Back in High School, I'd go shopping with a friend of mine who'd pick out the EXACT outfit I picked, then make a comment on how it "suited" her more. It was a little eery.

I often shop alone or sometimes with a girl friend, who has great taste and knows about fashion..
never with my male friends, solely because not one of them are as much into fashion, clothing and such, as I am... :ninja:

Also they tend to make jokes all the time about how a shirt can cost 300$ or how a pair of jeans can cost 400$ etc.... Don't even care to explain it to them :angry:

The advantage of shopping alone is that you can go at your own pace, without having someone to wait for you, while you are trying on some different stuff...

... and of course there are also the other reasons mentioned before by several other persons; about biters etc.

versace_goddess said:
:shifty: i prefer shopping by myself... i can become evil when i shop...

:lol: me too..my bf says Im ruthless when it comes to shopping, he accused me of barging him into a rack of shoes when there was a sale on.:blush:
I never shop with friends to be honest, we dont have the same taste and its frustrating looking at clothes that dont appeal to me & its hard to look at things my friends think are "ugly" when I like them.

Mostly I shop by myself because it puts me off to listen to people whining about what I buy, my friends tend to think that the stuff I buy looks crazy.. I always thought it would be fun to have friends to shop with that have tastes similar to my own but since I read this thread I don´t anymore so thanks! :wink:

I almost never shop with my friends...I like to take my time and try on lots of things and not have to worry about annoying people with the time I take debating a purchase. I only shop with them if we're going somewhere where the clothes are cheap and I can make impulse purchases without any guilt.

i actually hate it when people be all vague when asked about an item of their clothing... it is ridiculus...

some of my friends and i have similar tastes and we end up buying the same item of clothing at times... it is not a big deal because we all have different styles so we never wear ened up looking identical...

if i'm shopping for myself, i like to shop with my mum... i trust her taste... that and noone else likes going shopping with me... they hate waiting for me when i'm trying on clothes which takes hours...

on the other hand i like accompanying friends when asked to... i know their styles so i always pick clothes for them... i love playing the stylist and most of the time they end up buying those items...

I'm having this problem again with one of the women on my job. J Crew is my stable line, I buy about 60% of my work apparel from them and throw in some pieces from Banana Republic, etc. Well, looks like she figured out that I shop their catalog and now my co-worker is all over it. aahhhhh - this has to stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->