Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager

No, what you need are connections or a degree in PR/Communication & connections. At least that's how it is in elitist Paris (or any agency in France actually).
No matter determination, motivation you may have, they won't take you seriously if you don't have that type of degree.
Sure, all the old bookers/scouts don't have a degree in that, but they started in this business because they knew someone.
Look up those bookers' linkedin profile and you'll see. They have a degree in English or psychology and yet they work there because of their network.

I remember reading an interview about a booker at Ford Models (?) in Paris and she said a good booker knows about droit à l'image (image right?), communication, contracts etc. So they have a fixed idea of what they're looking for. I'll try to find it again. It was short but interesting.

It's certainly different in the US or Canada. They don't really focus on the field of your studies but rather your level of education (M.A. > high school diploma)

Last edited by a moderator:
How do modeling agencies obtain casting calls?

I assume there's some breakdown service they have?

I'm going to move this question to the Careers, Education and the Business of Fashion forum, where maybe someone who works for an agency might see your question.

But ... as far as I know, I believe that most of the time, agencies and the agency owners have connections to numerous clients/customers ... the companies that may need models. There is no single resource posting casting calls ... it's company by company. The agency must network to find these people and to convince them to come to their agency when they need to book models.

How to Find Work in Operations at a Modeling Agency

Work in the operations side of the Fashion Industry is highly coveted (no new news there). What makes it increasingly difficult is work opportunities circulate via nepotism, opposed through a meritocracy.

The truth is I wrote a devastatingly long, precise, detailed, and thorough email highlighting my thoughts on the subject matter. However, I opened another tab and when I returned had all of my work erased. So after 2 long painstaking hours early on a Saturday morning... I'm starting all over again. F^ck Me!!!!

I'm writing this article because I truly believe it is time this industry gets a shake up. I was born in the glorious Reagan years and grew up in the 90's and remember the glory days of Fashion in the early 90's. But instead of growing in this time with the age of technology and becoming a cohesive global entity/force, the Fashion Model Industry is divided and idle, an industry marred by backstabbing and deceit. Furthermore, an industry stuck in Monopolistic Competition or, depending on how you see it, an industry that has become ruled by Oligarchs.

The Fashion Industry has unrightfully given prosperous careers to the likes of Tomasso Butti, John Casablancas and his former partners at Elite, and countless others who instead of adding and exchanging value have usurped and selfishly and consciously benefited only themselves at the price others.

So why have I started this thread? I truly believe it's time to link up with other like minded spirits out there and begin an awakening, realization, and force that tries to repel this negative vibe which dogs and hounds the industry and try step by step, gradually, put back power in the hands of the bright minded who are looking to add value and prosperity to an industry that can flourish like none other.

I lived the beginning of 2016 mainly abroad in Russia, Dubai, and Europe, with a good portion in Madrid. Spain. I received my MBA/Internstional Finance years ago because Inwas under the impression that a job in Banking paid a lot. Instead of putting attention to myself and what Inrealky wanted to do. You see, being s heterosexual male my parents couldn't understand why, when I was young that I wanted to work in Fashion. My response was: why not?

I was attending ARCO Madrid, where I suddenly had an epiphany. My creative persona was stroked once again and I realized what I needed to do - go back to where I came from.

When I got back to NYC. I decided I needed to come up with a plan on how to land an interview and then hopefully a job at a top Modeling Agency in NYC. Since I had just arrived from a foreign land where I used the same tactics, I already knew what needed to be done. Now all I had to do was apply the same methods.

I first established my objective. I asked myself what I wanted. Once that was clear I simply had to go out and do it. I started by obtaining a list of the top 15 Modeling Agencies in NYC.
I did that by getting the opinions of industry professionals, as well as deciphering for myself by thoroughly reviewing the underlying assets (Models) of the portfolios of Modeling Agencies online. Since I already understood that most agencies won't give you the day and time to introduce yourself let alone ask for an interview, I only busied myself with the top agencies. Moreover, I didn't bother with launch pad agencies (i.e Red Model Management). These agencies are just in the business of obtaining great talent then selling there rights off to a big agency. The majority of their models don't even make it that far; hence, there entire business structure and model is weak and lacks foresight.

After obtaining my top picks, I went ahead and created a narrative, as well as rebuttals. The rebuttals were to have extra arsenal at my disposal in the event that I Was asked to many questions. I doubted anyone was going to give me what I was looking for, for free. Therefore, I had to be respectfully prepared to deflect any questions and to simply rollover back to the topic of discussion - the reason I called in the first place.

After a long arduous process of calling agencies, where I would describe in a brief two and a half sentences 1) who I was 2) thanking them for their time 3) why I was calling, I indexed all of my information by collecting names, emails, random information (my hand was moving faster than a courtroom steno writer) and then later organizing it and saving it onto a spread sheet.

Ironically, the agency at the top of my list was the agency that responsed with the most positive vibe. When I First called The Socety Model Management I caught the name "Josee Neron". I later did my due diligence and found out through a Google search online, which led me to this website that Ms. Neron was the CFO of TSMM. So when I called back the second time I had already done my homework. This time I asked for her by name and got her on the phone almost immediately. She was very polite and gave me her time. Oddly she asked me how I got her on the phone to which I naturally replied, "I asked".

Luckily, around the time I had called, The Society Model Management was looking for someone to help their finance department. Josee had her assistant, also head of the Legal Council, email me a description of the job. Although, when I had called I was inquiring regarding a position as an assistant or junior, however, I was willing to take any position in order to get my foot in the door.

Lo and behold, I received an invitation for an interview a week later. For the interview Inwore a pair of scruffy black American Eagle OFs pants, a scruffy White flannel from H&M, a Ben Simon B&W checkered tie, with a long cotton long spring trench hoody from Italian designers VIO Clothing, which I bought from their boutique shop on Calle Hortaleza in the Malisaña district of Madrid.

The building, thank goodness, was located not far from Union Sq. towards lower midtown. I saw "thank goodness" because Inwas expecting it to be located pretentiously in SoHo off of Spring like One Model Management. No pun intended to fellow Long Islander Scott Lipps who runs one of the tightest ships in the industry, but the location is an extension of the persona the firm wishes to build. And it goes to show Society doesn't need something like geographical location in order to boost its own ego. It's portfolio speaks louder than a Zip Code.

When I reached the office, I made sure Inwas early enough to make an impression. The usually glass doors opened to hip background house. The windows were neoclassical with the walls painted in white draped with murals and paintings of the 1920's, the aesthetically pleasing and welcoming ambiance made it literally easier to breath.

Left was where all he minions worked. Right was the corridor that led towards the offices of the administrators/directors and big Whig bookers. I passed by offices decked with cut photos of female models. In some rooms agents were busy wowing models reminding them their livelihood was in good hands, in other rooms there was the usual speaking on two/three phones at once.

I was greeted by a tall beautiful Asian woman who I mistook for a model. She smiled and shrugged it off. She was head of legal council and helped me to a room where I would wait. As I sat down and took of my bag, she asked me if I Wanted anything to drink. I thanked her and told her there was no need as I pulled out my Fuji Water btl.

As she left I went into my prep mode, pulled out my reading material and went into my own world not allowing my mind to pick up free radicals roaming the air. When she returned to inform me Josee was ready she was taken back by my demeanor/reading material. "Wow! You reading. Is confidents. Is good sign fo feeyoucha". I thanked her for taking notice and assured her I meant it only as a professional jesters, one which helps me focus since during an interview words and thoughts are going back and forth; hence, I believe it's good practice to stay in a situation where thoughts and words are also flying back and forth whilst reading.

She led me to the last chamber. There sat the very petite and very French-Canadien Josee Neron. Josee Neron conjured the idea for TSMM, which is now Society Model Management from her apartment in New Jersey. After many years at The Marilyn, which was obviously going through managerial meltdown, she decided it was time for change. Apparently most of her former colleagues, amongst whom is Kwok Chan the well known model booker who was with Marilyn for 16 years, agreed as they too jumped ship and joined her. Through her well connected web she succeeded in obtaining agreements and financing and now is a part of what is arguably NYC's top Modeling agency.

This is where my efforts had gotten me. So far, so good. Inwas asked the routine questions regarding my resume. As well as my familiarities with Accounting Software(s). After detailing my thoughts and answering her questions, I explained how I envisioned that I could help TSMM at which point Ms. Neron intervened and said something that Inwasnt sure to thank her or become afraid I would not be working with TSMM. She said admittedly that, although she did not usually say or admit this kind of thing often if ever, and she repeated it three time, she felt I was "overqualified" for that particular position. I, of course, had to say there and then that being a "finance guy" at a Modeling Agency wasn't my career goal either; however, as a "foot-in-the-door" position Inwas more than glad to take the offer. However, apparently she knew something I didn't.

After the interview Josee asked me to send her an email explaining why i wanted to work at Society. We exchanged pleasantries. As I walked back out I realized I was the first person to be interviewed, perhaps owing to my MBA/IF or just maybe making an impression on the phone thanks to the prep work. Moreover, I was fortunate to have been invited to wait in a room whereas the others were. It. The next candidate was a poor buger nosed kid, over dressed, smelling ripe out of College didn't exactly seem like he fit the bill but perhaps that's exactly what they were looking for. In any case it has been two months, and despite exchanging a few emails back and forth that stopped and I have now failed to be in touch with anyone from Society. Why? Idk.

I personally believe it's absolutely pertinent to have shared this very minimal info with fellow Afashion Spotters simply because a database of info and 411 needs to be out there. Primarily so if anyone is out there looking for "how to get an interview" with a fashion agency, you don't have to write the script from scratch. Furthermore, had I had, as they say in Turkey, "an uncle" would I have had to go through all the trouble? I feel I am just as, if not more well suited to fill in the role of a junior at any top form especially after being exposed to the ins and outs. However, this is the works we live in.

A world where nobody bothers asking why an industry like the UFC has been able to achieve more in less than 15 years off the backs of people who risk their lives to get bloodied, battered, and bruised over an industry which has at its arsenal an army of Angelic features and yet not progressed or actually moved backwards and not been effective in capitalizing on new technological advancements such as iOS /Android Apps development, Social Media, Online-Shops, Exclusivity Rights and Products, and more. Why is it that it's an industry that is constantly mired with scummy politics that it cannot get away from:
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...ally-steal-millions-from-clients-lawsuit-says

Agencies around the world cannot seem to crack the code of how to work together. And despite being a person of foresight who looks at hindsight in order not to repeat mistakes of the past, I still believe in and wish to provide my services to an industry that unfortunately, calling a spade a spade, takes someone that feels he can add and exchange value and purposely keeps him out of the circle of friends simply because no one knows him from Adam.

In any case this is the reality you are faced with if you are a hopeful, want to work in the Fashion Modeling Industry, and don't have an in.

Suerte!

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Joe! :flower:

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I know that many readers will be interested in what your personal experience was and what you learned. It's definitely very difficult to break in, but it seems that doing your research and finding a way to get to the people who hire certainly helps.

As you can see... I merged it with the existing thread on this topic and so you know, this is why: We like to keep things (on topic) like this together and don't allow threads that are restricted to just one person's personal experience. But we do encourage everyone to add what they have experienced to existing threads. So, again, thank you!

Hey guys, I Recently interviewed with Society in NY. They were looking for someone related to just finance. And given the desperate need for such a person and my eagerness to be on the "creative" side I'm not sure how leniant they would have been to have me eventually move over. In other words, the interview was just for a "accounts/finance" manager.

In any case, Inwalked away with meeting some sweat heart people. I'm back at it. I have a thorough educational track and relevant work experience. If anyone is looking to bolster there team I'm looking to work in Operations/Management side, hopefully, at a top Modeling Agency in NY.

Sepás Guzáraam!!

^^^ Thanks for sharing your experience, Joe. I can’t offer you any leads unfortunately, but if it’s any consolation, your experience is not all that different from how someone who is overqualified for a role— but extremely enthusiastic, and full of potential, is treated.

I have an ongoing professional relationship with the model agencies in my city (even contributing in recommending new faces), and from time, have gotten to known the various personalities of the bookers, who also work as scouts. Some have been great, generous, passionate and just good individuals, not just to learn from (because one can never learn enough in a day), but simply hardworking people. Others… Some horror stories, but I always get the impression they may have landed the position simply by virtue of knowing someone— or just being around the scene, rather than on sharp skills. But that’s a commonality, a weakness, of any industry.

One thing that seems to be a constance with the bookers I’ve come across is, they do tend to jump ship often… If I haven’t worked with an agency in a while, I’ll find out from a friend who’s a model with that agency that so-and-so is no longer a booker there, and has left for another agency. It does seem like they’re just all out for themselves when you see that happening often… Maybe it’s that kind of behaviour that keeps the industry from progressing…

Best of luck.

Hi everyone,

In the past couple of years I have shared my stories about applying for positions in Agencies here in Paris.
Well, I have a lot of experience in model casting but I am now a self-employed Model Scout, so proud !
However, I would like to become a Model Agent, I want to be more acquainted with model booking, anywhere in the world. I just want more experience.
Would anyone know a few websites where agencies are more likely to post new job opportunities?
Fashionjobs.com is alright but I wish there were a few more!

Thank you :smile:

Here's a company that's located in the Los Angeles area ... not sure if they show listings for jobs any where else. This is the Agency/Management jobs they have: http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/jcat.asp?jcat=103

I don't know anything about this company, or even if you have to pay for leads or not ... but you said anywhere ... so hope this helps.

I opened a model agency and one of my model is going to be signed to an agency in Paris.
I'd like to sign a mother agent contract with my girl but have no idea how it looks like. Maybe it's already told in that thread, would be nice to give me the link or if someone knows how a contract like that looks like, what are the closes?
THank you so much in advance
:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirrormodel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->