Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager

Here is a really good insight into how models perceive bookers:

" Sheila, a lovely aussie model who proudly admits she wants to be famous. Shes not going to be Jessica Hart (shes a commercial beach girl) but her work is paying off, shes got money in the bank and in her town she is a respected model. That is all that matters to her, she wants the people she cares about to know who she is. Yet to her bookers, her agencies around the world they look at her as a stupid and easy girl; they steal from her all the time. A missing arrear here, a odd statement there. Sheila knows, shes not stupid or at least not the way they think she is - but shes too sweet to even mention it, why? fear of upsetting her agency. If she tells them, she is accusing them and if she accuses them (and she's going to be right) then they are in the wrong and what happens when you humiliate your managers? they don't want to manage you anymore... as you can imagine, her small time modelling career will be over before she can say gidday. Isn't that brilliant? We're shown how wonderful these people are (The model diaries, E! Scouted etc) and yet you don't see when they tell you your not in good shape for a casting or the pursed lips and frown when you get measured. I'm starting to realize that maybe not all models are as bad as their made out, maybe there are some divas but maybe there are some really lovely girls and boys. Maybe its the complete opposite and the models are crazy, just the assholes around them. Not all agencies are bad, some are really good(mine), same with bookers but here is a little post to get you to think about it..."

source:amodelanonymous.blogspot.com

is anyone surprised by this? i guess future bookers can learn from the above not to be...intimidating?? interesting how its shown totally differrently on shows-bookers always seem so cool like in Scouted...

I just missed a great opportunity to work in an Agency in Paris.. at least from now on I'll listen to my voicemail more often.. *sigh*

Here is a really good insight into how models perceive bookers:

" Sheila, a lovely aussie model who proudly admits she wants to be famous. Shes not going to be Jessica Hart (shes a commercial beach girl) but her work is paying off, shes got money in the bank and in her town she is a respected model. That is all that matters to her, she wants the people she cares about to know who she is. Yet to her bookers, her agencies around the world they look at her as a stupid and easy girl; they steal from her all the time. A missing arrear here, a odd statement there. Sheila knows, shes not stupid or at least not the way they think she is - but shes too sweet to even mention it, why? fear of upsetting her agency. If she tells them, she is accusing them and if she accuses them (and she's going to be right) then they are in the wrong and what happens when you humiliate your managers? they don't want to manage you anymore... as you can imagine, her small time modelling career will be over before she can say gidday. Isn't that brilliant? We're shown how wonderful these people are (The model diaries, E! Scouted etc) and yet you don't see when they tell you your not in good shape for a casting or the pursed lips and frown when you get measured. I'm starting to realize that maybe not all models are as bad as their made out, maybe there are some divas but maybe there are some really lovely girls and boys. Maybe its the complete opposite and the models are crazy, just the assholes around them. Not all agencies are bad, some are really good(mine), same with bookers but here is a little post to get you to think about it..."

source:amodelanonymous.blogspot.com

is anyone surprised by this? i guess future bookers can learn from the above not to be...intimidating?? interesting how its shown totally differrently on shows-bookers always seem so cool like in Scouted...

I was travelling when you posted this, but I would like to comment now that I'm back.

This model is speaking for another one ... who has told her that her agency is "stealing" from her via incorrect or missing statements etc. Well ... it's second hand information so it may or may NOT be true. We really don't know the whole story here ....

Yes ... it's possilble that someone is "stealing" from her. But if the agency was a good one, they would not want to be involved in "stealing" from the models. Most likely, she doesn't understand exactly the money that they are charging her. It will be in her contract ... she needs to read that. Agencies do charge for anything that they spend on her behalf ... postage, messenger fees, phone calls ... tiny little things that she may not have thought about. In her contract, she has agreed to pay them not only a commision for any jobs they get her, she has also agreed to reimburse them for their expenses. I think that it's most likely not "stealing" but just charges she does not think should be paying.

Also ...mistakes happen ... it's not necessarily stealing. A good agent will check into it and see if it's correct or a mistake.

Now, I think the point here is that she's too afraid to speak up when she sees a discrepancy or something she doesn't understand. She may feel that she's insulting her agent if she does so and may get released from her contract, which is understandable. But any good agent would be happy to explain the charges to her ... if she asked. The orperative word here is to ask for a clarification of the charges ... she should never "accuse" them of anything, untill she fully understands what's going on. That would cause problems ... but asking won't.

A good agent would not be insulted ... it's just business. They have a contract with each other ... she has actually hired the agency to rep her and is paying them a commission to do all of this for her. So, they need to talk about the money from time to time.

So, as an agent, you are already aware that models are usally very young and immature and normally won't understand all of this "contract" stuff. And as an agent, it would make things a lot better if you take time to make sure they learn about it and know what they have agreed to. And most of all ... you need to have an open door policy, so your models will feell comfortable to come to you when they feel that something is wrong.

Bookers can be intimdating ... they need to be ... they have to deal with inexperienced young people and need to keep them doing what they need to do to succeed. But it should be more like parental control than boss/employee control I think. Firm but caring.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys! i was wondering if there was any open office programme for managing model portfolios? please help me with this :wink:

Hello everybody, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for posting this,but i'm actually looking for some good advices. ...the fact is that i'll make application for an intership in a model agency for the vacancy of assistant booker, so
after I refined my resume, I am still somewhat confused what to write in the cover letter... for example the point that i have to focus on ecc. ...meaby will be usefull to know what kind of people the agencies are looking for....

i'll be very gratefull for every type of advices you want to give me :smile:

^ Be sure to include why you would like to intern at said agency, knowledge of their models, clients etc are beneficial as well

Casting Director

For those of you who are working for Modeling Agency as Casting Director, can you please share how you get your foot in the door? I know most Casting Directors worked their way up or have tons of connections, but it’s hard to find agencies willing to let you intern, well at least not the big ones in LA. I’ve tried calling Wilhelmina, Ford, Next Model, etc. without success. Maybe I need to lower my expectation and try the smaller agencies? :wink: Please share your experiences. I love reading Russell Marsh and Jennifer Starr’s stories.

Thanks.

See also this thread: Casting Director

According to someone's comment in that thread ... most agencies don't have Casting Directors ... only the biggest ones that have huge jobs coming up.

I have a big doubt:

I would love to work as a booker in any agency. Which are the steps??

Read this thread ... I think there are a few members who have shared a bit about how they got their jobs ... which might give you some insight.

Last year I missed an opportunity or at least an interview at an agency in Paris. I then decided to put this aside and focus on my studies but I can't let go. I really want to work in an agency.
I am going to send my CV to about 10 agencies or so. It is preferable that I wait until Paris Fashion Week is over, right?
And will me being a student be an inconvinience to assisting a booker for exemple?

Last year I missed an opportunity or at least an interview at an agency in Paris. I then decided to put this aside and focus on my studies but I can't let go. I really want to work in an agency.
I am going to send my CV to about 10 agencies or so. It is preferable that I wait until Paris Fashion Week is over, right?
And will me being a student be an inconvinience to assisting a booker for exemple?

I am not familiar with how Paris agencies are run, but yes I would wait until fashion week is over. Agencies in NY usually someone there Monday-Friday and usually want someone who is out of school.

Modeling agencies book

Hi guys!
I have a question, maybe someone can help me.
I work as a booker in new modeling agency
I Have been working before in one agency and I know that exist one kind of book with base of all modeling agencies, I tried to search in inetrnet but I couldn't find. I don't know the name and the publisher, but I know that this exist and it would be very helpful to have it especially for new agency which has not many contact. Did any of you heard something about it? Do you know maybe? :rolleyes:

I'm a booker

Hello guys!
I've been reading some of your posts and thought I'd share my experience with you:

I've been working as a full time booker for almost 3 years now. I never took a "course" or anything such since there is just not. What happened to me is the following:
When I was a teen, I developed an interest for photography and particularly for fashion photography. When I was 17 I switched schools and I spotted a girl that, I thought, looked like a model.
One day I approached her and asked her if she was one. She wasn't, and I suggested she should look for an agency. - Although by that time I had NO idea how any of this worked, and knew no agencies or what so ever.

About 2 years later a friend called me and invited me to an event where I met a local fashion photographer who later became one of my best friends. At that moment, I offered to assist him in photoshoots.
That's when I started to meet models and learn a little more about agencies. And as I started meeting models, I started realizing that I had a good eye for scouting.
By that time, I had scouted a boy and a girl but I was not in direct contact with any agency. I just knew people who knew people.
One day, I happened to meet the head scout of a good agency here in Buenos, and I offered him to submit those 2 that I had "scouted". He agreed that they both had great potential and instantly submited them to the agency, bringing the pictures I had taken of the two.
That's how I met that agency.
I started shooting some models test for them and to build a portfolio.

Few time later, I scouted a girl and the agency I was working with happened to close it's doors. Luckily I happened to know very well the manager of a much smaller but very serious agency. I wrote to her in order to offer her to represent that girl and she called me right away. We spoke for a little while and she explained to me that at that time, she was looking for a booker, or at least someone with basic knowledge but a real interest in fashion, motivation, etc. I immediately offered myself and got the interview.

The first months were really tough for I realized I knew so very little. Luckily my boss was an extremely kind woman who I luckily got along really well with. She helped me learn all the basics.

Anyway, 2 nice years went on until I started feeling a bit frustrated there. I guess a similar phenomena happens in every big modeling city: the agency was very small and it was very hard for it to put up with the big ones. I had girls I had scouted and developed personally stolen into bigger agencies (trust me, it's the biggest possible pain for a booker).

At some point, the director of my agency decided to take a turn to a more comercial market and that also bothered me because I was never too keen on the comercial models or booking in general. I personally like to scout and develop girls for the high fashion, international market. Anyway, I wasn't feeling too comfortable anymore but I was still ok where I was.
I wasn't even looking for a change when I received a call from the director of a local, big fashion-oriented agency. He told me he was looking for someone, and a friend we had in comon recommended me to him.

I went to the interview out of curiosity and, long story short, that's where I am working now.

Thank you for sharing, Ines.

Your story is typical, I would say. That's how it usually happens ... you just sort of "fall" into it by networking with the right people. Sooner or later, they learn that you have the "eye" to know which models will "sell" to clients. It's a talent that some people have an most people just can't get. It's hard to teach anyone how to have the "eye" because, although there are general requirements (height, build, good bone structure, etc.), it's the quirky little things that make a great model.

I fell into styling that way, assisting a photographer, who noticed I had the eye for wardrobe choices. But I don't have the "eye" for models at all. She had it .... and tried to teach me, but I never got it. It would make us laugh ... because I was sooo bad at it.

I will be going to different agencies in Paris next week to apply for a position.
How likely is it for an agency to hire someone as an alternant ? (3 days at uni / 2 days at the agency).
My chances seem slim to none but I can't help but try.

As a photographer I kind of "scout" models for my personal projects, though they do not need to fit agency criteria. Makes me used to approaching people on the street or on the internet, and as I have a proper website to show, they tend to trust me.

I have been a backstage photographer for few years now, and met so many models on shows that I can easily spot a guy who would fit well.

As agencies like my pictures, I did many tests with new faces for big French agencies, and so I know people inside.

This summer, I scouted a boy who would do great on runways. I did a photo shoot with him, with polaroids and enough pictures to start a very good book.

And now, I am taking his book to the very best French agencies, to see if they are interested in him, and what agreement we can find, before I bring him to their office.

In the future I would like to scout as a freelance.

Not the "I scouted you now bye" kind of scout, the kind who stay involved, starts a great book for them (it's easier as a photographer), and follow them in the long run.

Sadly in France setting up an agency is hard, or I would give a try at being a mother agency for these boys I intend to scout.

And maybe in the future casting director for shows, who knows...

So this is how I personally intend on getting to work for agencies. I will tell you how it goes from there!

^wow this sounds great! good luck with that! Keep us updated!

As a photographer I kind of "scout" models for my personal projects, though they do not need to fit agency criteria. Makes me used to approaching people on the street or on the internet, and as I have a proper website to show, they tend to trust me.

I have been a backstage photographer for few years now, and met so many models on shows that I can easily spot a guy who would fit well.

As agencies like my pictures, I did many tests with new faces for big French agencies, and so I know people inside.

This summer, I scouted a boy who would do great on runways. I did a photo shoot with him, with polaroids and enough pictures to start a very good book.

And now, I am taking his book to the very best French agencies, to see if they are interested in him, and what agreement we can find, before I bring him to their office.

In the future I would like to scout as a freelance.

Not the "I scouted you now bye" kind of scout, the kind who stay involved, starts a great book for them (it's easier as a photographer), and follow them in the long run.

Sadly in France setting up an agency is hard, or I would give a try at being a mother agency for these boys I intend to scout.

And maybe in the future casting director for shows, who knows...

So this is how I personally intend on getting to work for agencies. I will tell you how it goes from there!

Oh wah! That definitely sounds great.
Go for it et bon courage à toi ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->