Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager

Working in a Modeling Agency

I am interested in working in a modeling agency, but I do not know much about how the agency works. Does working in an agency require education and what are the different jobs in the agency? I know what a scout and casting director is but that is it. Please help me and thank you. :flower::flower::flower:

do some work exp and see if you enjoy it, i guess most people start off as juniors or have worked else where in the booking industry not always related to fashion. All agencies are different as have different types of models and are run different so its best to do hands on work i personally find

I just merged your thread into this existing thread (guess you didn't do a seach first to find this thread, per tFS Rules?) and if you read the thread most of the information about different jobs in a modeling agency is in here. HTH!

Last edited by a moderator:
i am sorry :(
i did search though i typed in agency and i did not find anything. i will be more careful next time.

No problem ... an easy fix.:flower:

So you know, it's best to always do an advanced search, and set it so it searches thread titles and gives results as threads and to specify the forum, too. Otherwise you get pages and pages and don't really find anything ... there are just so many threads at tFS.

I would say look for internships - booking/talent development/etc.. - call and inquire - just do anything to get into an agency and make yourself useful. It might not pay much at first but you can work your way up.

I'd LOVE to be a receptionist at a modeling agency when I go to college in NYC ( I love how I'm already claiming college in NY, and I'm only a high school junior).

Anyways, who here works in the offices of an agency? How difficult is it to get a job? I know everything is about connections in fashion, so if anybody here works at an agency, keep me in mind! :wink:

I would be the happiest camper ever if I got an office job somewhere like Click, Fusion, New York Models, etc. (being surrounded by hot boy models? Someone has to do it!).

I'd LOVE to be a receptionist at a modeling agency when I go to college in NYC ( I love how I'm already claiming college in NY, and I'm only a high school junior).

Anyways, who here works in the offices of an agency? How difficult is it to get a job? I know everything is about connections in fashion, so if anybody here works at an agency, keep me in mind! :wink:

I would be the happiest camper ever if I got an office job somewhere like Click, Fusion, New York Models, etc. (being surrounded by hot boy models? Someone has to do it!).

I don't work in an agency, but I work with a few of them for my photography, and have a couple of good friends who work in big agencies. I'm not going to mention them by name but they're top fashion agencies in NY and LA.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get your foot in the door in any way you can - receptionist, whatever - but I'd encourage you to take a good look at the talent development internships the big agencies offer now and then. I know there's a lot of competition for the slots, but those of you here on TFS would be at a big advantage for a couple reasons - not the least of which is, you know the industry FAR better than most of the wannabes who apply.

And to a offer a slightly crass tip: much like a lot of PR and marketing agencies, in my experience these agencies do care what you look like, even if you're not going to be in the book. :wink:

Over the past couple years I've seen two friends of mine go from being interns to permanent hires within one top agency in particular.

Obviously I can't offer introductions for those of you I don't know, but if you have specific questions or whatever, PM me (I don't check the threads much, even though I love y'all) and I'll be happy to help if I can.

And never be afraid of just e-mailing someone in management and asking for guidance. You'd be surprised how willing some of them are to help.

Good luck!

OK, I think I found the best source that'll answer most of our questions about being a 'Model Booker'. Jonathan Phang (an expert) simply tells the tricks of the trade in short videos:
http://www.videojug.com/interview/becoming-a-model-booker

These videos were interesting. It make me wonder when he said that agencies were not eager to have former models working as bookers, because there were things that agencies did not want their former models to know (about agency practices). (not an exact quote)

Now there are obviously former models doing this job, but it made me wonder which practices they were talking about? I assume the cases where the agency puts ITS interests ahead of a model's best interests, like package deals.

These videos were interesting. It make me wonder when he said that agencies were not eager to have former models working as bookers, because there were things that agencies did not want their former models to know (about agency practices). (not an exact quote)

Now there are obviously former models doing this job, but it made me wonder which practices they were talking about? I assume the cases where the agency puts ITS interests ahead of a model's best interests, like package deals.

Alot of agencies do have former models working for them.... a number i know used to model and it wasnt for them or they got older.....

I just emailed many french modeling agencies for internships, and about 10 of them replied back!

^^ Wow, I'm really happy for you chanterdanser. Choose the best one, and don't forget to let us know how you are doing..

hi everyone! i was wondering if you're a new faces model can you ask your agency if there are any jobs at the agency? like any job will do lol. Oh and this may be slightly off topic but in august and early september is there much activity in the fashion world, ie do all the fashion involved people go on holiday and such at about this time?
Thanx alllll

hi everyone! i was wondering if you're a new faces model can you ask your agency if there are any jobs at the agency? like any job will do lol. Oh and this may be slightly off topic but in august and early september is there much activity in the fashion world, ie do all the fashion involved people go on holiday and such at about this time?
Thanx alllll

Yes i would definatley ask you agency, especially seeing as you are a new face model, you will inderstand more about tear sheets, portfolios etc so its worth an ask. Also i would say there is always alot of activity in the fashion world, as models are always needed and so the bookers are also always needed, plus not everyone could go on holiday at the same time as there would me no one to run the agency!

And to a offer a slightly crass tip: much like a lot of PR and marketing agencies, in my experience these agencies do care what you look like, even if you're not going to be in the book. :wink:

You've just confirmed my worst fears!:cry:

I've always wanted to work in a model agency but have never actively pursued it because whenever i've seen agency's staff they always look like models themselves - and lets just say, i'm the opposite of a model in every way!:doh::lol:

^That's exactly why I've never pursued it too
doh.gif

You've just confirmed my worst fears!:cry:

I've always wanted to work in a model agency but have never actively pursued it because whenever i've seen agency's staff they always look like models themselves - and lets just say, i'm the opposite of a model in every way!:doh::lol:

That cannot be entirely true. Most of the bookers I know (and I know many in different agencies) are not exceptionally good-looking. Being a good model booker takes much more than that. But on the other hand, no company says no to beautiful/handsome staff.

Im sorry i have to totally disagree, most model bookers are not amazingly gorgeous, some yes probably were once models but the reason people probably thinking that is because they work within the fashion industry, which usually means they take care of their apperance and have a good fashion sense.

Derin, thank you! I was going to set up interviews with the bookers, but unfortunately my parents have other plans for me this summer. However, I think anyone who wants to work in a model agency should definitely email some agencies! I thought no one would be interested in me since I am only 16 and have no experience, but a few agencies were! and maybe next summer i can work in an agency i hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->