WWD's Top Ten Collections of Fall 2008

Reaction score
The Top 10 Collections of Fall 2008
Published: Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Designers delivered all sorts of fantastic fare this fall – from fairy-tale reveries to a rigorously austere vision – and WWD’s Top 10 did it with powerful results. For the complete story, see WWD Collections. For the full collections, simply click below.

Alexander McQueen
Victorian Goth meets Indian maharajah in Alexander McQueen’s lavish fairy-tale reverie — a fascinating mix of real-world clothes and frothy bejeweled numbers.
To view the full collection, click here.

Balenciaga
Nicolas Ghesquière’s power gal got ladyfied with sculpted little black dresses, or futuristic in intriguing molded shapes and printed latex eveningwear.

Dries Van Noten
Dries Van Noten proved he’s no wallflower with a standout collection that was a kaleidoscopic whirlwind of color, prints and embroidery.

Lanvin
Inspired by grosgrain ribbons, Alber Elbaz fashioned a glamorous “striptease,” with drop-dead gorgeous dresses and plenty of Deco-inspired sparkle.

Marc Jacobs
With Sonic Youth performing live onstage, Marc Jacobs sent out a collection that was superbly calm, controlled and much ado about great American sportswear.

Narciso Rodriguez
Narciso Rodriguez struck a deft balance between geometric minimalism, an oh-so-sexy attitude and the cool confidence his fans love.

Prada
Miuccia Prada delivered amazing lace, serving up gutsy versions of that typically frilly fabric to strikingly austere effect in this knockout collection.

Rodarte
Sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy dreamed up a breathtaking fantasy, full of delicate knits, enchanting degradé frocks and even a bewitching Goth ensemble or two.

Vera Wang
Vera Wang continued to indulge in her prettily disheveled inclinations and the results were wondrous, with exquisite embellishments and a sultry-yet-nonchalant stance.

Yves Saint Laurent
Stefano Pilati gave us a new femme fatale, one who forgoes frippery for a clean, strong, graphic and supremely confident power-woman look.
For the full collection, click here.

Source: WWD

this seems a little late tbh. and again, no jil sander :angry:

I can't believe they chose MJ over LV. I think overall LV was done much better than MJ, even though they played with similar themes and ideas.

And I'm kind of sick of seeing McQueen on every one of these lists this season, imo there were other shows that delivered on both interesting fashion and believable clothes.

The rest are kind of expected, with a nice surprise appearance from Vera Wang.

Not original or innovative in the list at all and some glaring mistakes and omissions. Quite a few are on here because they're who they are not because their collection was truly beautiful this season.

Not original or innovative in the list at all and some glaring mistakes and omissions. Quite a few are on here because they're who they are not because their collection was truly beautiful this season.

so which collections, would you say, were on the list simply because of who they are and not the actual content? just curious to hear some opinions :smile:

I was thoroughly disappointed with Marc Jacobs and did not like Balenciaga, at all. I feel they've both done much stronger collections. Marc's been going downhill with record speed for a while though, in my opinion, which is saddening cos he was my favorite of them all.

I'm also not keen on McQueen this season. Yes, it was beautiful, but not in the top ten. It seems he's almost relying on 'McQueen'isms to get him through. The lack of Givenchy is surprising, with AGiles there, cos it was game on. I think I'm personally sick, though, on another note, how smaller houses are consistently overlooked in favor of the big ones who continue to produce the same aesthetic or just be odd for the sake of being odd.

And don't get me started on my hatred of Rodarte. Hooray, Wintour likes you, now sit down.

I was thoroughly disappointed with Marc Jacobs and did not like Balenciaga, at all. I feel they've both done much stronger collections. Marc's been going downhill with record speed for a while though, in my opinion, which is saddening cos he was my favorite of them all.

I'm also not keen on McQueen this season. Yes, it was beautiful, but not in the top ten. It seems he's almost relying on 'McQueen'isms to get him through. The lack of Givenchy is surprising, with AGiles there, cos it was game on. I think I'm personally sick, though, on another note, how smaller houses are consistently overlooked in favor of the big ones who continue to produce the same aesthetic or just be odd for the sake of being odd.

And don't get me started on my hatred of Rodarte. Hooray, Wintour likes you, now sit down.

:lol::lol::rofl:

So, because you didn't care for Balenciaga, it means they're only on there because of advertising dollars??? That's kind of a harsh statement given how personal your reasons for not liking the collections are.

I don't believe I said advertising dollars? I said that Balenciaga is on the list because Nicky has undeniable talent and even when his collections are less than stellar, people tend to oooh and aaah at it. It's a personal preference, certainly, but I never said it wasn't. I sincerely feel Balenciaga sometimes relies on being "balenciaga" and that Marc Jacobs has been given a pass on a few very. . .shoddy seasons because it's Marc Jacobs. And I feel they've both had much stronger collections, but I'm not sure where I said it was advertising?

You're original post, you didn't name names, but you mentioned being on a list because they are "so and so", which pretty much amounts to being on the list because they pay big bucks to be, not because the collection was good. So is the way of fashion.

It could've just been a misinterpretation on my part. ^_^

Oh, Spike! Yeah. I cannot articulate well! :D I did my best to explain it better in the following posts. I don't think it's advertising so much as bias. I hope that makes sense. ^_^ I meant they were on the list for being Marc Jacobs for being Balenciaga and people often can't see if their collection is bad cos they're blinded by how good it has been. Granted, some people did like those shows, and all right, fair enough. But over Givenchy? Surprising!

i hated the fw08.09 shows in general
too much re-worked ideas, too much nostalgia and darkness
all this black is getting boring, i wonder what was so special at Dries or McQueen or Prada who brought out one of her most boring seasons ever

the latex work at Balenciaga was ok but the rest of the show were smelling Alaia archives. Rodarte had some ridiculous pieces mixed with good ideas but the general feeling was dissapointing
even YSL was lame with those ugly trousers..

the only show from this list that was ok, was Lanvin

fw08.09 was quite a depressive/uninspiring show season,
clearly reflecting the global economic/enviromental/ ethical gloom

thanks for the wwd repost

I would have removed Vera Wang, Rodarte, and Prada. Add Rick Owens, Jil Sander, and Versace

yes i agree that certain names should not have been on that list.. prada?? i'm sorry but i thought it was mostly odd and ugly. but prada always makes the list for being 'innovative' and 'fashion forward' and though the collections usually grow on me after a while, this collection and also the miu miu scuba suits had me hurling. and rodarte!!! what's the big deal? i'm sorry but i don't see why everyone's making such a big fuss. beautiful dresses? sure. fresh and innovative? definitely not. although i do like the shoes. but those are to be accredited to mr louboutin.

i liked balenciaga though, i guess partially because the last collection was awful in my opinion so i was just glad that this collection was quite beautiful. i LOOOVED YSL and lanvin though! so glad they made it.

Lanvin was flawless. Absolutely flawless. I'd say it's my favourite most likely. What a mad penguin genius Alber is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->