yearbook or newspaper, which will help more?

diorable

Reaction score
hello!

i was wondering...is newspaper or yearbook better and beneficial for someone who would like to work in fashion editorial work later?

Uhm...Both...

Just lie (thats what I did!)

Love your name too...

I'd say newspaper. Tighter deadlines, and more room to grow creatively. A yearbook is once a year. Newspapers are far sooner than that.

Yeah, I agree with fourboltmain. Newspaper. (I'm a little biased, as well. I was editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper, and I'm writing for my college newspaper.) :wink: :flower:

I was a photographer for my high school's yearbook, and it was a great experience for me as a photographer because I had a lot of creative freedom (I basically just carried a camera with me at all times during school and snapped photos of anything exciting/interesting that was going on). ^_^ Yearbook seems more creative for photographers because it isn't all "Take photos of this teacher... Take photos of this sports team...", it's more about what you find interesting to capture. But, if writing is your thing, Newspaper is the way to go!

At our school, they basically tell you that if you want to be a journalist, take newspaper/journalism, but if you want to be a photojournalist, take yearbook. Photography is best if you want to be a fashion photographer, obviously. :flower:

I've taken both courses in the past two years and found them to be thoroughly worthwhile. I took Journalism first, two years ago, and was the Graphics Editor. I wrote three articles per issue and was responsible for the front/back cover designs and layouts. I think that the course definitely encouraged me to pursue my interest in journalism/publishing.

Last year, I was the co-editor of the yearbook and we styled our book around Vogue/Teen Vogue, which definitely allowed me to apply my love for design, fashion, and journalism together. As an editor, I had the majority of creative control and was able to create pages that were my own take on my favourite fashion magazines. There were definitely a lot more deadlines with Yearbook than Journalism. We had photo/page proofs to sign off on and send back, but despite the stress, it was truly a labour of love.

If you can, definitely take both! :flower:

IMO the newspaper would be more useful in the long run and would look better on your record.

I think it could also depend on how your school does yearbooks and newspapers. At my highschool, the yearbook/newspaper weren't a big deal. People at my highschool just used the yearbook/newspaper as a tool for 'popularity'. Especially the yearbook. If I remember correctly, it was run by all the freshman who were dying to be popular but weren't. So, in an effort to be popular they covered the yearbooks in pictures of the 'popular' kids, thus ruining the yearbooks for everyone else. Which is why I never bought any of the yearbooks. Or newspapers.

Hopefully your highschool is different :innocent:

DernierCri said:
Last year, I was the co-editor of the yearbook and we styled our book around Vogue/Teen Vogue, which definitely allowed me to apply my love for design, fashion, and journalism together.

I can't imagine that the boys at your school were too thrilled about that. :lol: Or was it not so much inspired by fashion, but more inspired by the layout (type, columns, etc)?

TheKiwi said:
I can't imagine that the boys at your school were too thrilled about that. :lol: Or was it not so much inspired by fashion, but more inspired by the layout (type, columns, etc)?

I go to an all-girls school so there wasn't any backlash when the books came out in the fall! It was definitely influenced by fashion as well as fashion magazine formatting, we did beauty and fashion features for all the pages we had left. :D

Thank you for the help, everyone!
I talked with the advisor, who is in charge of both yearbook and newspaper, and talked to some staff members of the papers, and I think I shall do yearbook. While both publications attend journalism camp in Columbia during the summer, the 400 page yearbook only has 30 people working on it, which means a lot of pages for each person. In contrast, I shall be regulated to a side column for my first few newspaper articles, and generally the yearbook is much better looking anyways. Also, the advisory is biased towards yearbook, and he guarantees that he will help us with attaining internships, but ONLY for yearbook and not for newspaper. I cannot do both, but I think yearbook will be very worthwhile :-). Thank you!!

diorable said:
Thank you for the help, everyone!
I talked with the advisor, who is in charge of both yearbook and newspaper, and talked to some staff members of the papers, and I think I shall do yearbook. While both publications attend journalism camp in Columbia during the summer, the 400 page yearbook only has 30 people working on it, which means a lot of pages for each person. In contrast, I shall be regulated to a side column for my first few newspaper articles, and generally the yearbook is much better looking anyways. Also, the advisory is biased towards yearbook, and he guarantees that he will help us with attaining internships, but ONLY for yearbook and not for newspaper. I cannot do both, but I think yearbook will be very worthwhile :-). Thank you!!

I'm sure yearbook will be a wonderful experience. It was honestly my favourite course last year. We had a class of 9 doing 400 pages, so we had plenty of space for creative freedom! It sounds like it will definitely be a major benefit as well with the workshop at Columbia and internship opportunities! Good luck! :flower:

Sounds awesome! Good luck. :flower: I had a lot of fun on yearbook staff. It totally depends on your school as to which will be better for you (newspaper or yearbook), because sometimes yearbook can suck and newspaper is great at one school or vice versa.

VainJane said:
IMO the newspaper would be more useful in the long run and would look better on your record.

I think it could also depend on how your school does yearbooks and newspapers. At my highschool, the yearbook/newspaper weren't a big deal. People at my highschool just used the yearbook/newspaper as a tool for 'popularity'. Especially the yearbook. If I remember correctly, it was run by all the freshman who were dying to be popular but weren't. So, in an effort to be popular they covered the yearbooks in pictures of the 'popular' kids, thus ruining the yearbooks for everyone else. Which is why I never bought any of the yearbooks. Or newspapers.

Hopefully your highschool is different :innocent:

They'd be well-qualified to edit a fashion magazine then...

PK

Honestly? I have to say, I was editor of my h.s. newspaper, went on to write for my college paper and now am an entertainment writer online. And...it doesn't really make a difference either way. Seriously. Just take whichever appeals to you more and don't worry about which will look better on a resume or help you more later. What you do in college is way more important--and that being said, I don't think colleges even have yearbook. Whichever you take, you can supplement with photography or journalism classes later. To work in fashion, you should focus more on internships and that sort of thing rather than your school load. Even though I applaud you thinking that far into your future! That being said, newspaper seems a bit more real-worldy and functional than yearbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh, I remember being kicked off the high school newspaper. LOL

I was an illustrator, a rather scandalous one too...

It's probably too late to weigh in, but I'd say go for the newspaper. After all, you won't get a byline in the yearbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->