and we snuck into the Rad Hourani and said we were suppose to be helping
took longer than expected for them to let us help but we dressed models

The college I go to emails us opportunities
I did the Juan Carlos Obando show
and we snuck into the Rad Hourani and said we were suppose to be helping
took longer than expected for them to let us help but we dressed models
That's amazing!!!

Hi thelooks!

The age limit still stands. I'm volunteering for the upcoming shows at Toronto Fashion Week and on the waiver form, it states that volunteers must be 19 and over.

P.S. I'm putting together a portfolio for Ryerson's fashion program too!

Where did you end up volunteering?
Are you applying for design or communication? I am having the hardest time with some parts of my portfolio!!

I ended up volunteering in different positions. I was mostly backstage. To be honest, you could have volunteered because they don't check how old the volunteers are. One girl I volunteered with was 17. I'm applying for communication.

Fashion show dresser question.

How do I become a Fashion show dresser in New York? I was once one in Chicago for Stewart Talent and Elite... but does anyone have any info for the New York area?

Do you think if I would volunteer in a fashion week maybe I could possibly get a job after that? I'm thinking I would meet lots of useful people... Maybe someone has experience with that? I am interestend in the upcoming Paris fashion week and would REALLY appreciate all the answers!!!

OK ... I'll bite.

I think that volunteering at a show is not enough to get a job. It's so hectic, you'll be constantly rushing around like everyone else. Most likely you will be assigned as a dresser and will just have contact with one or two models who are too busy to talk to you. So, I think that no one will notice you unless you mess up and that certainly won't help.

You'll probably meet other volunteers ... maybe during breaks before things get hetic ... but you won't be networking with anyone important. One person will probably be assigned to show you what to do ... possibly an assistant or intern of some type.

But what you gain is a bit of insight about how a fashion show works and be able to add it to your resume/CV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, BetteT.
I ased about this as I'm moving to Paris in September and I'll be looking for a job there, I thought it would be genius for me to come and to volunteer in the fashion week to make some connections, meet new people (I hardly know anyone there) and maybe land a some kind of job afterwards...

and who should i contact for volunteering at Paris fashion week. and how long in advance? Maybe someone has already done it? ALL kinds of help will be VERY usefull to me!

OH that would be interesting! I wanna know too for paris. ^_^

I don't know about Paris, but in NY you usually have to contact the designer's publicist/PR firm, who often coordinates and supervises the volunteers. If they are not the one's who do that, then contact the design house directly and ask who is in charge of the volunteers for fashion week.

OK ... I'll bite.

I think that volunteering at a show is not enough to get a job. It's so hectic, you'll be constantly rushing around like everyone else. Most likely you will be assigned as a dresser and will just have contact with one or two models who are too busy to talk to you. So, I think that no one will notice you unless you mess up and that certainly won't help.

You'll probably meet other volunteers ... maybe during breaks before things get hetic ... but you won't be networking with anyone important. One person will probably be assigned to show you what to do ... possibly an assistant or intern of some type.

But what you gain is a bit of insight about how a fashion show works and be able to add it to your resume/CV.

this is so true...we thought staying later to help at Rad Hourani would get us noticed but not the case they just said thank you and moved on...none of them asked us for our names or anything...the other dressers are usually students mainly FIT...the models most of the time talk to us if they can speak english and the male models are a lot more laid back

I've never done it, but I feel like mentioning some things that seem like common sense tips to me.

I would think you more likely get a position if:
-obviously you have connections
-you ask early, and then you find out why you were rejected if you were
-you also ask right before the show
-try for lesser known shows, or even better less known fashion weeks

Well, I volunteered at Berlin Fashion Week and I can highly recommend it to everyone! You can choose between seating and dressing which is both pretty exciting.

Wannabemodelbook,
Very nice you volunteered in Berlin!

What have you send to IMG if I may ask, just that you'd like to volunteer or did you add your CV etc? And do you have to live near Berlin?
I'm almost 18 and I'd love to volunteer! Do you have any idea of the minimum age?

Sorry for all the questions.. I hope you don't mind ^_^

This counts for Berlin only:
You just have to write that you'd like to volunteer, no CV or Resume!!
You do not have to live near Berlin but you have to pay for your Hotel etc. on your own.
As far as I remember also 17 years old volunteered but I dont know if you have to be 16 or 18 at least.
If you would like to volunteer at Berlin Fashion Week in January 2011, just send a short e-mail to [email protected]!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->