Working or Volunteering for Fashion Week Shows

Anybody know any contacts for London Fashion Week and volunteering over summer? Thanks in advance.

Advice with applying to fashion week

Liverpool fashion week (which i know isnt a major event) is looking for people to work 'back stage' since i am looking for a way into the styling section of the fashion industry this is a dream opportunity for me.

I have been given the email address to apply but i dont actually know what to include in the email, does anyone have any suggestions?
This is my first ever chance at getting experience and im excited and dont want to mess it up.

Thanks

Hello to everybody,

I feel that this a nice oportunity to say that I´m search about a job in fashion, I don´t mind what and the work to do, only improve my fashion and bussiness knowledge. I´m studing journalism and fashion in Spain. I talk english very well and a little of italian laguage. I´ve worked for Glamour Magazine (Condé Nast Publications) and I would love work in VOGUE USA one day, but now I only pray for my dream comes true...

Thanks for your time,
Regards,
Carolyn.

Source: nypost.com
Originally Posted in the Internships thread by reese06

This is about interns working at fashion week ... which would have them involved in the entire process, not just few days. But this gives a little insight to what goes on before the shows and backstage.

FASHION WEEK INTERNS LEARN HOW TO PUT ON A SHOW - THE HARD WAY

By BRIAN NIEMIETZ

February 9, 2008

WHEN factory workers in China spend 60-hour weeks sewing labels onto sportswear for $4 a day, it's called a sweatshop. When young girls travel from far and wide to set up chairs, check names and fetch water bottles 24/7 for free, it's called Fashion Week.

Meet the cogs in the Fashion Week machine, Maxiel Diaz and Taylor Richey, two lucky girls who beat out several dozen applicants for internships with uber show producer People's Revolution.

The prestige marketing and event coordinating company has played host to hugely successful shows for Valentino, Bulgari, Longchamp, Paco Rabanne, Vivienne Westwood and Jeremy Scott. Between the hands-on experience and the networking opportunities, a recommendation from a company like People's Revolution all but guarantees future work in the fashion world.

"Whatever they want me to do, I'll do," says Diaz, 20, a student at Manhattan's City College. Diaz says in the month leading up to Fashion Week, she'd arrive at People's Revolution's SoHo office at 9:30 a.m., working as late as 2:30 a.m. stuffing gift bags, confirming RSVPs and stepping up to any other task that might arise.

"I haven't had a social life in over a month," says Diaz, whose parents operate a furniture store and grocery store in Queens - so close yet so far from the tented runways of Bryant Park. "It's a great opportunity to be here, and nothing can break me."

Richey, a 22-year-old student from Tampa, Fla., started her internship a month before Fashion Week began. She counts Diaz as a friend, despite the fact they're competing for positions with a company that has only 34 staffers between offices in SoHo, Los Angeles and Paris.
"If you're good, people want to keep you their secret," observes Richey, who hopes her internship nets a paid job. "If you're bad, they'll let everybody know."

People's Revolution president Kelly Cutrone compares Fashion Week to going to war, in the sense that there will be delegating, commanding, yelling, fighting and, on occasion, crying. "We tell them at their orientation that if they cry they have to leave the office," says Cutrone.

We didn't see any tears, but the first day was definitely a struggle. The company's Web servers crashed, so Richey had to retrieve RSVPs from hundreds of phone messages and paper invitations. Nail polish being shipped from Australia for the next day's Sass & Bide show was deemed possibly "toxic" by US Customs, and that kept Diaz on the phone trying to explain those products were needed for the show's swag bags.

"It's really crazy, but I kept it together. I started getting frustrated, but this is what I wanted to do," Diaz reported at day's end. Any raised voices? "I am an intern. I do not yell," Richey says.

Finally, on the second day of Fashion Week, the girls got to see their first show in the tents. It didn't disappoint.

"It was what? A month's work for 15 minutes?" concluded Richey. Still, she says the results unequivocally justified the labor. "When it comes together, it's so amazing and so glamorous," marveled Diaz.

Not every intern sees a "Cinderella" ending to their "The Devil Wears Prada" experience. "We usually start with 20 and we end with seven. And out of seven, three are people we'd actually employ or highly recommend," Cutrone says of the unpaid labor she uses for Fashion Week and the month leading up to it. "They find out it's not what they'd hoped for. They think it's a glamorous job where you whisk around all day, meet really fantastic people and play around in pretty clothes."

And who makes the cut?

"Eye rollers are always a 'no.' Like the ones that will send you psychic messages when they're putting a stamp on an envelope: 'I can't believe you're not noticing how smart and amazing I am or you wouldn't have me doing this job.'"

Want to impress Cutrone? Read the names and addresses on those envelopes and get to know who's who at major fashion publications. Know where to buy stamps at 1 a.m.

"I always hire the person who in the middle of the night sets a glass of water on my desk, or the one who washes the dishes, or changed the toilet paper rolls or the garbage bags, because fashion's a dirty business," says Cutrone.

She also isn't interested in pedigree. "The better the school and more wealthy the parents, the worse the worker. It's usually kids from state schools or single moms, or kids who work two jobs to pay for their school that work out."

What about Diaz and Richey? "Based on what I've seen, I feel really confident they could work for anyone," Cutrone says.

It turns out the girls didn't get to see many more shows. They were too busy working to see the payoff.

She and Diaz's final moments of Fashion Week came at the end of that long Friday, which found them checking names off clipboards outside the club's velvet ropes. The perfect end to a hectic period everyone's happy to have finished, no?

"I'm sad," Richey admitted. "I never thought I'd say it, but I'll miss the craziness. But sleep is good." Have a drink, Richey, and buy a soda for Diaz while you're at it - her 21st birthday's not until May.

I know NY Fashion Weeks starts this Feb. 13....is it too late to get an internship opportunity or volunteer position?

I currently live in southern California but would be willing to fly and stay in NYC for as long as need be. I'm just looking for experience and would be willing to do any type of work.

Anyone know of any last minute opportunities?

arent there catering companies in ny that provide staff for fashion week? You wouldn't necessarily be involved with the whole catering food etc. but more of less helping back stage...? I know theres few catering companies in london that provide staff for fashion week...

Well, I have an interview I guess you can call it tomorrow with Anne Bowen. I had never heard of her before, but I looked it up and the clothes look awesome. I guess she showed at NY fashion week last year.

I found the ad on craigslist and they said they needed people for fashion week (they didn't mention the anne bowen name, they just said a luxury brand). I emailed them and said I would be willing to come to NYC (I live in SoCal) to help and/or do whatever to gain experience. They emailed me back today and asked if I could come in on Friday to discuss some things (an interview basically) but at the last minute I couldn't fly out because my mom has to have emergency surgery tomorrow. I emailed them back and told them this but said I would be willing to fly out on Monday the 16th. I told them I know fashion week would already be on its way by then and that I understood if they didn't have anything for me. They emailed back and told me to call them tomorrow (Thursday) at 1pm their time. So, we'll see! I think the craigslist ad mentioned something about post fashion week work as well, so maybe it's related to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have an interview I guess you can call it tomorrow with Anne Bowen. I had never heard of her before, but I looked it up and the clothes look awesome. I guess she showed at NY fashion week last year.

I found the ad on craigslist and they said they needed people for fashion week (they didn't mention the anne bowen name, they just said a luxury brand). I emailed them and said I would be willing to come to NYC (I live in SoCal) to help and/or do whatever to gain experience. They emailed me back today and asked if I could come in on Friday to discuss some things (an interview basically) but at the last minute I couldn't fly out because my mom has to have emergency surgery tomorrow. I emailed them back and told them this but said I would be willing to fly out on Monday the 16th. I told them I know fashion week would already be on its way by then and that I understood if they didn't have anything for me. They emailed back and told me to call them tomorrow (Thursday) at 1pm their time. So, we'll see! I think the craigslist ad mentioned something about post fashion week work as well, so maybe it's related to that.

You would fly all the way from Cali to be backstage at one fashion show- for free! You must be rich girl!:P This is what's going to happen if you did work backstage... they're going to tell you to get there 3 hours before the show. This is before the models even show up for hair & makeup which takes forever. Those hours will be mostly standing doing nothing, but you will have to familiarize yourself & prep the clothes which takes usually no longer than 10 minutes. Next you will put the model in a look or two. Seven minutes later it's all over. Why would you want to fly so far for something like that? You're better off waiting until LA fashion week... makes much more sense!:wink:

Well it wouldn't just be for one show, lol. Anne Bowden isn't even showing at fashion week this year. I don't have the craigslist ad anymore (wish I did), but the way it was written made it seem like it was for work during all of fashion week + post fashion week. I figure right now is the time because I am currently not working and I also currently live at home so I wouldn't have any rent payments to account for while I would be gone. Plus, if I wait for LA fashion week I would have to fly down from San Francisco (I will be attending school up there by the time LA fashion week hits), I would have to take time off of school, and take time off of work. Right now I don't have any committments and I figure something like NY fashion week on a resume would look pretty good. But, I will have to see what all is entailed during my phone conversation tomorrow. :smile:

Just a note of interest here:

L.A. Fashion Week is probably no longer an option ... I heard it will not take place ... at least the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in L.A. Probably because Smashbox Studios won't host it anymore because they were loosing money by bumping thier regular clients. So, I just checked and it certainly does not seem to be on their calendar anymore. http://www.mbfashionweek.com/ I think they still have the old fashion week in the garment district ... but that is not exactly the same deal ... it's not nearly as prestigious.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too bad. I was thinking about actually going to LA this season to see what's going on out there. There seem to be major disruptions at the events all around the world right now.

It's a bit late in the game, but I would definitely keep checking craigslist. In my one minute of searching I found William Rast (Justin Timberlake's label) looking for fashion week interns:
Seeking fashion week interns to work with our in-house team to help get the collection ready for fashion week show on 2/16.

IMPORTANT - really looking for fashion students who know their way around the NYC garment districts and know fabrics; if you can sew / stitch, even better.

Dates are this Monday 2/9 through Monday 2/16. Need all-day availability and capacity to work late. Great exposure to styling team.

Please send resume as Word document. Cover letters only in emails, please.

For more: www.williamrast.com
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/med/1023804678.html

Working at fashion week?

I know that I'm too late for this season, but I want to start now in finding work for next season to make sure I get a place! Is it possible for someone of the age of 15 to do unpaid work at fashion week? Who should I contact about it?

I know that I'm too late for this season, but I want to start now in finding work for next season to make sure I get a place! Is it possible for someone of the age of 15 to do unpaid work at fashion week? Who should I contact about it?

Hello! Well i've just learned that I will be a volunteer for Toronto Fashion Week. I haven't got the details of what i'll be doing yet but i chose Backstage and assistant as my primary area.

I suggest start researching on all the major fashion week events going on in your area (i just did a simple google for the official site) and sometimes there's usually a post about calling for volunteers. I would start early and just really do your research.

When applying, be yourself but professional in the letter - list anything that would come in handy in terms of your skills - customer service, leadership roles, schooling and interest in fashion of course. Although not everything on your resume has to be fashion-related, it just has to show that you are experienced in dealing with people and situations.

There was an age limit for the Toronto fashion week, over 19. So make sure you check that first ^_^ Good luck! :flower:

Does anyone have any information about how can I apply for a volunteer position during the london fashion week?

There was an age limit for the Toronto fashion week, over 19. So make sure you check that first ^_^ Good luck! :flower:

Does anyone know if this still stands? I'm about to turn 18, and looking for experience volunteering at a fashion show - I've worked behind the scenes at two before, and I'm looking to expand my experience, as I'm working on putting together a portfolio for Ryerson's Fashion program.

Hi thelooks!

The age limit still stands. I'm volunteering for the upcoming shows at Toronto Fashion Week and on the waiver form, it states that volunteers must be 19 and over.

P.S. I'm putting together a portfolio for Ryerson's fashion program too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->