Your Interior Decorating Style...

^ I don't do it to get clean, but to relax :smile:

I can see that it could be a good place, because you have the plumbing right there. And if you haven't folded the laundry, you can open the dryer & find whatever you need :lol:

Wow, I have never seen a W/D in a bathroom.

Having a washer/dryer in the bathroom is the norm here too, at least if you're in an apartment and not a house with a separate laundry room. In the UK (and possibly other places too) you always see the washing machine in the kitchen, which I find really strange.

^ Yes, I've read in novels about having a pantry (that's what we would call it here) with all the appliances, kitchen and laundry. I guess it's because so many houses pre-date electricity.

Here, laundry equipment is always separated in some way. Sometimes in a closet by themselves. That's what I had in my last apartment, but you also see it in houses. You fold open the doors when doing laundry, and then close it off again when you're done.

My laundry room is right off my kitchen, just steps away from my dishwasher, so to me they seem related :wink:

My new dishwasher is running right now, I can just barely hear it as I type. My brother put the new (correct color) front panel on at Thanksgiving, and it's a big improvement. I realize now that the old one was creating a slight aesthetic irritation every time I passed it :wink:

I am trying to solve the puzzle that is dinnerware/flatware/stemware, etc. It's kind of like building a good capsule wardrobe. :lol: I find that we are entertaining much more lately (my current apartment is the first I've lived in that's large enough to actually have dinner parties) and I am always missing/needing things, so I want to start getting that sorted. The challenge is that I have a lot of vintage pieces that I love and want to keep using, but finding pieces to match is not that easy!

I am currently looking for everyday tea-/coffemugs to go with a set of not-quite-white-not-quite-cream vintage fayance breakfast set, dessert plates to go with my mismatched collection of white and gold teacups, and all new wine glasses - feeling a little overwhelmed! :wacko:

Btw, we have a thread for this ... maybe 'table' is in the title?? I love to mix and match vintage things, including for every day.

My favorite mugs are from Emma Bridgewater ... you might take a look at those. Dessert plates ... something from Royal Copenhagen? For wine glasses, I know connoisseurs say you should use very specific glasses, and I do have a couple different stemless styles from Riedel (which I use for picnics!). But I find that other glasses work fine. I have some vintage water glasses that I also use for wine. The very first ones I bought were from TJ Maxx, which turned out to be seconds for sure :lol: I felt bad for the guy who snapped off a stem at the first party I ever had--he thought it was his fault, but I'm sure it wasn't. I still have a few survivors--4 of the original 8 I bought, I think. That's the nice thing about vintage ... you are getting the survivors. Let me see if I can find that thread ...

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f58/how-do-you-set-your-table-79023.html

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Oops, I guess I ought to reacquaint myself with the search function in here! :P I'll move the discussion over there, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :smile:

yabba dabba doo...

i'm inheriting my great aunt's carved wood bedroom set...
i have been going crazy trying to figure out what to do with the bedroom...
question answered~!!!

:clap:...

*now i just have to get it here from NJ...
:ermm:...:lol:...

I replaced my dining room curtains this weekend ... I was having company and decided that the curtains I inherited with the house, which I've always disliked, had to go. Had to go to two locations to get the ones I wanted ... textured ivory linen/cotton. Also had to replace one of my curtain rods (will be both ... I talked them out of the display finials (?) for the one I got, which are like clear glass eggs on a 'pewter' finish rod). One of the old rods, also inherited with the house, was flawed and couldn't bear the weight of the new curtains. Really pleased with the change ... I also tossed out the inherited vinyl shades--nasty things.

i bet it's a huge improvement...!

i waited ages before replacing my inherited front drapes and when I finally did I fell in love with my place in a whole new way...
it's a lot of bang for your buck!

good for you!

have decided to paint the bedroom blue to go with the dark wood antique furniture...
the whole thing is going to go quite dark...
but i think that is going to make it really cozy and peaceful for sleeping...
researching colors now...
am thinking it may be a sort of a wash...
not a really solid blue...
more dreamy...but something deep and quite saturated......
like the ocean or the night sky...
thinking octopus and giant squid...

also deciding if it will be all the walls or just some...
and looking for some bedding...

it's going to be my pirate hideaway...
:argg:

^Sounds nice! Something like Hazlitt's hotel in London?

I also think orchids are easy to care for. I have two white ones that I've had since 2009, and one of them are always in bloom. I've never really thought about air circulation...I keep whichever one of them that isn't blooming in my bedroom window (slightly hidden behind the curtain) in direct sunlight, and the one in bloom is on a side table in my living room.
I also have a lemon tree in my bedroom window, a large pot with different succulents in the living room, as well as some dark green leafy things that I don't know the name of. And herbs in the kitchen, basil, oregano, thyme and mint.

@Ta-ta: The sound of that bathroom...:wub: Living in a small apartment I so miss having a bathtub, especially in the winter. I dream of a clawfoot tub!

I've started a lime tree and it reached about a meter in height. What I did struggle with initially was damaged leaves and problematic roots. I've had to shift it around my apartment to make sure it got optimal sunlight, and generate some humidity as well. It seems to be doing fine now, really do admire the touch it gives the living room.

Orchids I constantly struggle with. I've got 2 varieties in my bathroom since the window is north-facing with diffused glass. They prosper really well here what with the incoming sunlight and humidity of the shower. Problem is, the moment I move them to a different parts of the house, it wilts. So I just keep them there.

^Sounds nice! Something like Hazlitt's hotel in London?

never heard of that place...
i checked their site...
nothing nearly as formal as that...
no brocade or velvet or gilded frames...
:D

more rugged/rustic...
by sheer coincidence pottery barn is on the same kick...
i've had this blue paint chip on my wall for years and have been really into indigo and then my aunt suddenly gave me this furniture and it all made sense...
i figured i would find some architectural medallion and paisley bedding to complete the look in grey, beige and indigo...
i already have some of it...the grey stripe and beige paisley...and some blue/white striped ticking fabric pillow covers...

a couple days later the pottery barn calendar came in the mail and they had a couple pages that are very similar to what i was thinking...
so crazy...
even more so because i haven't even looked at pottery barn since the 1990's...
:shock::lol::woot:

check out their pinterest board on indigo...
https://www.pinterest.com/potterybarn/indigo/

i think the wall will wind up looking somewhat like this door...
probably needs a coat of warm beige underneath with a layer of indigo glaze on top...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/264938390555471186/

if i am going to stare at these walls every night as i fall asleep, i want them to have texture and interest...

what i am not sure of is the ceiling...
:unsure:...
it is variegated tin... 12 ft high...
so it is basically big wide stripes...
i think i could paint it some sort of brown/beige too look like wood rafters...like on a ship or in a warehouse...

and i have an antique book that is full of gorgeously coloured scientific drawings of fish that i might pull apart and put up...

i'm basically building a ship and setting sail...
^_^

another from my room
10419505_411025039046110_361840726044371470_n.jpg
and the entrance Hall
10849783_411024522379495_5932736939763213912_n.jpg

first step towards the goal...
ordered these pillowcases as an accent print to go with my solid grey sheets and pillowcases...
i really like a damask or architectural medallion print for bedding...
potterybarn

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-03-09 at 3.34.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-03-09 at 3.34.08 PM.png
    283.3 KB · Views: 3
bellanotteoutlet

Just ordered these linen pillowcases ... and earlier, a white linen top sheet from the same Mother's Day sale. The outlet prices are already good, + 25% off.

Attachments

• bella notte.jpg
    bella notte.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"