Your Interior Decorating Style...

if you are crazy, then i am too...
:lol:...
i feel exactly the same way about those composite slabs...

i like the idea of a different thing on the other side...
we had one of those integrated sinks at my parents' house and i LOVED it and still think about getting one for myself some day...
i would definitely keep that if you can...
:flower:

*btw-i have a longstanding habit of buying lighting at flea markets...
it's amazing what you can find...
i guess ebay is similar, though it's nice to be able to inspect before buying...
believe it or not, i found those two ceiling lamps for my kitchen in complete working order...
cost- $15 each!!!
:shock:...
all they needed was a nice cleaning and my friend installed them in 20 min...
so good...
:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandmother's kitchen had one of those integrated stainless steel deals too, and kind of a drainboard next to the sink. I loved it, and would love to have one. It's not cheap, and yours is free! Her kitchen was redone in the 40s and still in perfect condition with its white enameled metal cabinets. Her counters were red linoleum with a little pattern in it (cross-hatched?) with metal edging. Linoleum lasts for 50 years, and Forbo is right there in your neck of the woods, the best selection available.

I also like the idea of two different counters. I have thought about doing stainless steel on the sink side, and butcher block on the other one.

I mentioned in another thread a pillow I made (I did the petit point, designed it, and had it finished by someone else) for my bedroom ... here's a picture.

Attachments

• pillow.JPG
    pillow.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 14
Very nice :D i like your beddings and curtains as well -curtain especially ^,^

Yes, the curtains are cool, and unfortunately I can't get any more (for the other pair of windows in this room). The artisan whose former company made them is on etsy now, but she refuses to make any more for me :ninja: I guess these days she makes what she wants, and you can buy it or not.

They're patchwork of felted vintage ivory sweaters.

The bedding is a vintage chenille summer bedspread, pillowcases made from vintage/antique French linen sheets, and an Art Deco quilt that was never used. Probably being poppies it was a memorial quilt, maybe for someone who was killed in WWI.

that's brilliant.. I wouldn't have known; looks like voile
Probably good insulator too?

I tried to find what french linen means.. There doesn't seem to be anything
Much like french dressing and french fries :blink::lol:
Just a little bit, an impression on the history, the fabric's raw materials being grown in France. Saying it is an ideal location for that...
I personally don't use the term linen for bedsheet or tablecloth -but stores here do. And I've heard it in American websites
I see that it used to be linen that was used for the bed etc

Linen is linen to me :ninja: made from flax

I think i read about this long time ago, and I came across an online shop in the u.s. that sold vintage french linen -and they were all in this style, with a red embroidery on undyed surface
And that's what I gathered about it being french, a decorative style

I don't know if you look at Gucci but if you do- it's funny.. to see all the pots and pans and children's needlework done in school and so forth making their way into the designer's shows.. That's how I felt when I first saw the clothes
And one could even go further back in time...
I just want to share that with someone who does needlework :smile:
Reminding one of Antiques Roadshow...

^ It is ... and also blocks the sun well (I don't like blackout, but neither do I like the sun in my face when I'm trying to sleep in).

I have a collection of vintage towels that I use in the kitchen and bath, and they are mostly French, though I also have some that are German (which are a completely different style). I really am not fully clear on why there are so many surviving French linens. They seem to have been of excellent quality, and they seem to have put together extensive trousseaus there, so good that they would last a lifetime, with some perhaps never being used. The towels are mostly all monogrammed, sometimes double monogrammed, and occasionally there's a number too, indicating the item number in the trousseau.

All that's meant in this case is that the antique or vintage linen sheets they were made from were bought (and very likely also originated) in France--where nearly all of them are.

Nearly all of my bedding is linen, which I make a point of buying, but cotton is much more common here. The problem with cotton of course is that it's one of the dirtiest crops in the world (conventional cotton 'requires' huge amounts of pesticides). I have some organic cotton too.

The advantage of the antique textiles is that it's impossible to match the quality in anything I am able to buy new, whether domestic or imported.

I had a teacher that used to say they don't make linen like they used to.. and she wore it too. I'd love to see these

Ive read hemp is quite good as a crop.. Have you tried it? I don't live in as trendy a city as i used to, but maybe it's sold here. Hm i remember first seeing hemp used in Chloé 10 years ago

Well I find it all fascinating. And I'm particularly charmed thanks
I have managed to catch one towel with a number on it :D

On the hemp, just a little ... I have a skirt that is hemp + satin (Donna Karan).

I have gotten a friend hooked on these towels ... I went to find one for her birthday. Talk about charmed ... I found one with her initials!! I was absolutely thrilled. I have never found that for myself.

Cool about the number ...

Hey i found one (towels) online with my initials on it :Pink: $49
On some of the French shops they offer to embroider your name for you too

What do you like to needlepoint with?
Recently i discovered embroidery floss is not all the same
I got a package and the strands don't even separate. I have to use the full thread
It is pure cotton, and too coarse i think when it is finished. For needlepoint. But I've never washed it

I once lived in a place where floss was 25 cents each, and many colours :smile:
DMC brand, the good one imo... Separates...

^ Congratulations :wink:

What I like the best is silk floss--don't remember the brand atm, but it comes in many many colors. The pillow is a combination of wool yarn and silk.

Sounds very nice =) it does look like i will be shopping online more than i thought

^ It's best for picky people :wink:

I can buy Bella Notte in person at full price, but I usually have to have them order what I want. But online I can get half off at the outlet ... my sheets are all various neutral linen colors--white, ivory, flax. I mix and match, so when I buy new sheets, they can be any of those ...

It is great when stores offer that. Saves so much on shipping
Today i saw id have to pay $15 for a $3 product (;.;

vandykes

The kitchen faucet I have now (that I had put in some years ago) was absolutely perfect ... it really looks like it could be original. But sadly it is now broken two different ways, so I'm replacing it with this ...

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
Pretty :smile: I like the shape of the head. I sometimes like to wash my hair in the sink (lol)--I imagine it would help with that by the way it is designed.

This week I have begun thinking about just kitchen tools, like a gallon pot, measuring spoons and cups and baking sheets or pans. I think this thread is a good place for this topic too? :-)

I will probably try to find someone giving the huge pot away, and this evening I was looking at spoons but I didn't really like the designs so I went home with just bread and cream X)
I also am thinking about cups to drink coffee from

^ We have a tabletop style thread, but we could probably use one just for kitchen stuff! I like the oblong measuring spoons from Williams-Sonoma ... handy for getting inside things. I have 2 sets, plus a round set (the original) and adjustable plastic ones. There are beautiful artisanal measuring spoons, but not sure whether they are calibrated.

I looked at that! Totally forgot about experiencing that often. Inserting spoons only to pull it out of a packet and make a mess cos of the shape. Flat is really convenient
I enjoy their copper items. I looked at ikea too but seems there's less selection than I expected.

With Halloween so soon, I am cautious --I use oven mitts with cats and spooky trees on itB) from last year and Dracula ziploc bags. I saw wicked stuff at Target once but we don't have the store anymore. I never ended up getting anything.

I am actually waiting for Christmas! For reindeer soap dispenser and such =P

Got my new faucet installed today--I am thrilled! "Kinda sexy" was my plumber's verdict :lol: It's quite imposing in person, more than I expected, and much more so than the old one.

thosmoser

Ordered this chaise last week in tiger maple + purple leather ... should have it in September. This is zero gravity and feels like heaven when you recline ... I've wanted one since I sat in it at a trunk show some years ago, I think in about 2009.

All their furniture has a lifetime guarantee, which IMO is exactly how it should be. Also each piece of furniture is made by a single person, and in the US of American hardwood.

Attachments

• Moser chaise.jpg
    Moser chaise.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"