Your Nails

You could try a varnish that has a horrible taste to put you off biting? I got acrylics the other week to put me off biting, but yesterday I got bored with them and yanked them off..bad idea! I damaged my nails :cry:

To sissyneck they sell bitter flavored nail polish specifically for nail biters. When you bite/taste your nails you get a nasty flavor instead. Don't know any brands you could search online or ask your pharmacist.

I don't really bite my fingernails, instead I peel them off, as odd as that sounds :lol:

Nasty nail polish can't help in my case so I'm pretty hopeless.

I either keep my fingers low and buffed or a french polish (OPI Alpine Snow & Bubble Bath), sometimes I switch it up and go for dark colours but I'm considering gel nails now, and on my toes I like various colours but mostly brown/bronze shades, reds or a french finish.

Anyone know a good way to strengthen nails? It is not that mine are brittle: they are quite soft that they can bend somewhat easily. I think this is what leads to the nails on my index fingers always cracking.

^There is a supplement I think at drugstores called Biotin, that many people have had good results with in regards to nails and hair. You called also try switching to nail polish to formaldehyde free formulas.

^ I already use nail polish that does not have any of the nasty chemicals in it, so I'll definitely check out the Biotin! Thanks for the advice. :flower:

^^^ I might have to check that out as well, I seem to have the same nail problem as you do!

Anyone know a good way to strengthen nails? It is not that mine are brittle: they are quite soft that they can bend somewhat easily. I think this is what leads to the nails on my index fingers always cracking.

Try Sally Hansen products they do work very well for me, always put calcium before painting them and then use a color and put again a top coat.

what i use are:

age correct no chip base & top coat(you can use it both as base and as top coat)
as for colours i prefer opis.

hope it helps!:flower:

^ Thank you! I'll try both.

I know exactly where to get the base/top coat, but I have yet to find the biotin (looked in one of those natural drug stores).

i do my nails myself. i can't stand artifiial nails, they're gross.
i use to polish them with a buffer and use microcell 2000 nail hardener on them which is my favourite one. when i wear nail polish on them, it's mostly deep red (kind of rouge noir).
this is a pic of my nails:
Stylediary028.jpg

I used to be a nail biter for YEARS for ever since I could remember. I think I learned the habit from my dad, who was also a chronic nail biter. My habit was so bad, I was worried I'd be biting them still by the time I got married and would have to wear fake nails :P...I wore fake tips for my grad photos, and it looked obvious :( The gross tasting polishes didn't work for me either.

I got rid of the habit by forcing myself to let my nails grow out enough so that I could paint over them, and I eventually realized how nice they could look when painted, and continued to let them grow! It's been a couple years since I've stopped biting my nails, and thankfully my nails look recovered and healthy. They used to look so bad, I thought I had permanently disfigured my nail beds. Anyway, I found that putting effort into making your nails look nice was the technique that worked the best for me. Now, I'm constantly buying new polishes to try, and love doing french manicures. I haven't bitten a nail since ^_^

I always cut my nails short as possible. Fortunately I've never been one to bite them, as from what I've gathered it's a hard habit to break.

Kindi- you have beautiful nails and hands

I rarely ever bite my nails and if I do, they are so strong that it will hurt my teeth. I used to be into artificial nails especially pink and white acrylics but have found that letting them grow out naturally is prettier and healthier for my nails. I just stick with my lighter shades of pinks and sometimes dark reds, browns, and french tips.

I personally prefer short hassle free nails think SJP however I've started thinking that maybe my hands in general look nicer with long nails. But I find they get in the way and are just a general pain. My nails also grow very quickly so I have to cut them quite often.

I use to bite my nails all the time it was a really bad habit. However one day I decided to try and not bite them and see what happens. It turned out that it wasn't a habit at all it's just something I chose to do as I've never bitten them since...bizarre I know.

I haven't been doing anything special with my nails lately. I keep them low and occasionally wear clear nail polish.

I often have my nails long and painted red like in my avatar. I don't find that it gets in the way, but maybe I have had them long for so much of my life I am used to it. Even when I was a kid I tended to grow my nails long.

For those of you who do your own manicures, can we talk about cuticles? :P

My nails grow really fast. I suppose that's good, but it also means cuticles. I get professional manicures periodically and I push them back and use cuticle oil. It looks great at first, but within days, my cuticles are back!

I always hear that one should never ever cut one's cuticles (or even let a manicurist do it) but I think it would be a mess if I didn't. I have seen some manicurists use pumice sticks.

Anyone else have this issue? It's the one thing that keeps me from having perfect manicures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->