Your Personal Style Struggles...

AlwaysCurious

Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there feeling overwhelmed and lost every so often?

For quite some time now a feeling of overwhelm is my companion – either it’s in the morning getting dressed for work or for an occasion once in a while.

I open my wardrobe and get paralyzed as I don’t know where even to start. I look up stuff on the internet – so much information, I’m lost!

I can spend 2-3 hours evaluating what to wear. I want to dress well and look put together, as someone with a personal style, but I’m confused!

Am I the only one? Does anyone else here have this problem when it comes to your personal style? Do you struggle with this same problem?

I suppose it depends on the day or perhaps occasion. I notice that I am less motivated to dress or even know what to wear when I am out of shape.
What has worked for me is selecting my wardrobe the day or evening before. It takes 5 minutes and seems like a much easier task than in the morning. Also, when I have a hard time with making myself look “put-together” for whatever reason, I default to neutrals and basics, like;
  • Black or navy pants
  • Blue slim leg jeggings/jeans
  • White oversized shirt
  • Any cute top I might have and match it with slim black pants
  • Tee with a blazer/jeans
  • use basics and throw on a large scarf
  • cute flats are always a plus and a simple statement bag
  • Basis go a long way!!!
I love great quality clothes but don’t like to show the brands i.e. logos, etc. this helps to keep things simple and well put together. To motivate myself, I pick a perfume that reminds me of a summer vacation! it works wonders :smile:

This is the problem that I face every single day before going to any place.
At home, I can wear anything but I need to look perfect while going out to the home.

I don’t know if this will come across as flippant, and I’m not exactly landing on anyone’s “best dressed” list, but I think you just need to let go of the planning and debating and second guessing when it comes to clothes. Trust in your own taste and first instincts. You bought it for a reason. If you believe you have style, dress for yourself and you’ll look good. Perfect is always an inch out of reach, anyway. Any time I find myself fretting over what to wear, I end up talking myself out of interesting and reflective-of-my-personality outfit choices and settle on something boring. And then it’s like, did I really just spend half an hour or more worrying about this only to settle on a monochromatic neutral outfit?

I don’t know if this will come across as flippant, and I’m not exactly landing on anyone’s “best dressed” list, but I think you just need to let go of the planning and debating and second guessing when it comes to clothes. Trust in your own taste and first instincts. You bought it for a reason. If you believe you have style, dress for yourself and you’ll look good. Perfect is always an inch out of reach, anyway. Any time I find myself fretting over what to wear, I end up talking myself out of interesting and reflective-of-my-personality outfit choices and settle on something boring. And then it’s like, did I really just spend half an hour or more worrying about this only to settle on a monochromatic neutral outfit?

This is 100% true for me. I'm not going to have every last thing I own tailored, and I'm not going to buy the vastly more expensive version of something just because the design is a tiny bit better. So nothing I wear is going to be totally perfect in my own eyes, but the alternative would be an outfit that's really boring and safe, and that's not really better. I'd rather just go with my first choice and not overthink it.

my biggest style challenge is the thing i cannot control...
my haircut...

i've cut my hair for years...
i've had it long and worn it up...
but i cannot find a hair stylist who can cut my hair in a way that really represents my personal style...

only when i got my hair cut at work was it amazing and they don't do personal appts...

i do not seem to be able to explain to anyone what i like and want...
they just say show me a picture...
well- i don't have a picture because i don't want a copy of some random famous person's haircut...
i want my own haircut designed to suit my face and my style...

i feel like the asian stylists understand the style and shape, but are confused about what to do about my hair texture, which is slightly wavy...

and the fancy high end uptown salons just do the same dye job and blow out over and over...
baliage, anyone?! :rolleyes:...

why is it so hard....:(

i found this asian guy who gave me the opposite of what i asked for-
i wanted long bangs and short in the back...
i got short bangs and long in front...

:shock:...:huh:...:unsure:

BUT~
it was still one of the most precise cuts i've ever gotten and it grew out magnificently...
if only he could actually understand what i was saying...

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->