Angelina Jolie attacks Madonna for 'illegal adoption' of baby David

Retro

Reaction score
Angelina Jolie attacks Madonna for 'illegal adoption' of baby David

Angelina Jolie has attacked Madonna for adopting a child 'illegally'.

She said the singer should never have visited an impoverished African country with the sole intention of choosing an infant.

Her comments follow accusations that Madonna used her fame and money to speed the adoption of one-year- old David Banda late last year.

'Madonna knew the situation in Malawi, where he was born,' said Miss Jolie, who has adopted two Third World youngsters of her own.

'It's a country where there is no real legal framework for adoption.

'Personally, I prefer to stay on the right side of the law. I would never take a child away from a place where adoption is illegal.'

Miss Jolie, 31, also made clear she was shocked by Madonna's decision to take David from the country where his father still lives.

Human rights groups in Malawi are still arguing that the American used her celebrity - and a £1.7million donation to the orphanage where David lived - to bypass laws governing the adoption of Malawians by foreigners.

Despite her own harsh words, Miss Jolie said she still felt sorry for Madonna, 48, who has been harshly criticised since taking David back to London to live with her husband Guy Ritchie and her own children, Lourdes and Rocco.

Asked if the saga would put her off adopting more children of her own, Miss Jolie said: 'I have been horrified by the attacks she's been subjected to. All that should count is the happiness of her little David.' In the interview with
French magazine Gala, Miss Jolie ruled out marriage to her partner Brad Pitt, the father of her sixmonthold daughter Shiloh.

But she said she wanted him to become legal father to their adopted children Maddox, five, and Zahara, almost two.

Asked about Pitt, whom she met on the set of Mr and Mrs Smith while he was still with exwife Jennifer Aniston, she said: 'Don't go repeating it whatever you do but, yes I love him. I love him a lot. After I met him my life seemed more harmonious.

'At 20 I was nervous about the most trifling things. As the mother of a big family I'm not able to have these worries, I have too many responsibilities. Today the good health of my children is all that's important.

'Brad and I want to continue to adopt, but keeping a big family uses up a lot of money.

'For the moment we are talking between ourselves about our respective professional projects, we will then make sure we are agreed between ourselves on where we're working and so plan our absences.

'We need to be attached to Mad, Zahara and Shiloh as much as possible.'
The Tomb Raider star added that she hoped motherhood had not softened her action girl image.

'Look, I've had a new tattoo on the arm,' she said. 'I've had a tattoo of the latitude and longitude of the birthplaces of Maddox, Zahara and Shiloh in order to remember our first face-to-face.'

And referring to her first biological child, she said: 'Shiloh is no more special than Mad or Zahara in my eyes. I love my three children with exactly the same force.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=427057&in_page_id=1773

ive read a lot of her recent interviews
where she's been asked about madonna...
and not once have i heard an 'attack'-
not even in this mish-mash of words ?

people will make drama of anything :innocent:

"accused, harsh, attack"??? I know adorefaith, I hardly think she was trying to antagonize Madonna, the press tries so hard to insitigate pointless feuds!

Adoption laws are crap. They don't act in the best interests of the child. When discussing it with my partner we decided it would be best to bang each other 50 times, have 16 children for free, have nobody forcing us to write essays, have our lives invaded, and actually have the gratification of having the child instead of having to wait 1-2 years for paperwork to be completed, as well as saving $20,000 in fees. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way. Honestly, adoption all over the world needs to be made far more accessible. There are tens of thousands of children who never even get LOOKED at for adoption, because it's just impossible for the majority of people to even consider the process. The biggest priority is getting the child to a loving home. If people can knock each other up and have children without any of this year long beaurocratic nonsense and expensive I find it ridiculous that so many people harp on those willing to spend the time and money to help a child in need.

I don't think this is an attack, its clearly stating the obvious about adoption legislation..

It's really a shame what bad hype is STILL springing up from something that should be considered as a good thing.

And I agree that this article is total BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retro said:
She said the singer should never have visited an impoverished African country with the sole intention of choosing an infant.

Yeah, Madonna should do it like Angelina: visiting impoverished countries for the sole intention of being photographed and building a Mother Theresa-image...:doh:

i would love to see those 2 women cat fighting. i think they are soooo boring with the exposure on all media...

nah... it's the media's fault. always is and always will be B)

Heroin_Chic said:
Yeah, Madonna should do it like Angelina: visiting impoverished countries for the sole intention of being photographed and building a Mother Theresa-image...:doh:

I totally agree with you!
as far as I remembered, Angelina did somethign very similar when adopting her 2 first children: I believed she went there, donated a huge amount of money, tokk the babiesand off she went.

I read few of her last inteview, and although I used to truly admire her, now I cannot stand her. there are so many people out there - celebrities and non- who do a lot of charity work and so forth, but they never talk about it (think Naomi Campbell who spends weeks in African/Asian hospitals helping out - Sean Pean...) and they never take photographers with them.

on top of that, she goes on talking about her life/love with Brad and even Jennifer Aniston in interviewes, which in my opinion, is very out of place.
you cannot complain about the Paparazzis following you anywhere and wondering about your own kids' safety, when you do interviewes and photo shoots with your partner (think Vogue and Vanity Fair) which will obviously add the craziness.

First of all the only thing that Angelina and Madonna did similarly is to go to an African nation and left the respective nation with a child. Angelina, however, went through all the red tape of applying for adoption in a country that allows adoption, hence Ethiopia. Madonna , well we all know what happened. Also, she donates to the countries she adopted her children from is out of generosity and thanking the country. Nothing wrong with that.

Secondly, Angelina has to talk about her charity publically because she is a UN Ambassador and the UN expect a vocal awareness of her cause. That is how they work. The UN granted her that legal title whereas, the celebrities and non-celebrities you mentioned aren't.

Thirdly, Angelina talks about Brad because, why not, he is her partner/lover and most importantly the father of her children (biologically and not). Aniston will always be asked by the media when interviewing Angelina. The only way she will justify herself is to respond. What's wrong with that?

Heroin_Chic said:

I think Angelina encourages the media on those trips not to get attention towards herself but towards the issue's she supports. Thats my perception of it anyway.

from people.com

Angelina Jolie: We Should Support Madonna

By Stephen M. Silverman
MONDAY JANUARY 08, 2007 05:15 PM EST

Despite her comments in a French magazine, Angelina Jolie wasn't trying to criticize Madonna for adopting a child from Malawi, she says.

"The article included many falsehoods," Jolie said in a statement on Monday. "I said many positive things that were omitted. I feel we must focus on the present and I encourage everyone to be supportive so that every child can adjust nicely to their new home."

In an interview in Gala magazine, Jolie, 31, said of Madonna and her efforts to adopt 1-year-old David Banda: "Madonna knew the situation in Malawi, where (David) was born. It's a country where there is no real legal framework for adoption. Personally, I prefer to stay on the right side of the law. I would never take a child away from a place where adoption is illegal."

But Jolie, whose son Maddox, 5, and Zahara, who turned 2 on Monday, are from Cambodia and Ethiopia, respectively, has sympathy for the singer. "I have been horrified by the attacks she's been subjected to," she says. "All that should count is the happiness of her little David."

On Friday, Malawian child welfare official Adrina Mchiela said the government is satisfied with the way Madonna has been caring for David. "We have been monitoring her and so far we see a loving mother in Madonna and David is very fine," she told Reuters.

Human rights groups, however, have argued that Madonna, 48, used her wealth and celebrity to bypass Malawi's laws governing adoption by foreigners.

In her interview with Gala, Jolie also talks about her relationship with Brad Pitt. "Don't go repeating it whatever you do, but, yes I love him. I love him a lot," she says. "After I met him my life seemed more harmonious."

cric-croc said:
I totally agree with you!
as far as I remembered, Angelina did somethign very similar when adopting her 2 first children: I believed she went there, donated a huge amount of money, tokk the babiesand off she went.

I read few of her last inteview, and although I used to truly admire her, now I cannot stand her. there are so many people out there - celebrities and non- who do a lot of charity work and so forth, but they never talk about it (think Naomi Campbell who spends weeks in African/Asian hospitals helping out - Sean Pean...) and they never take photographers with them.

on top of that, she goes on talking about her life/love with Brad and even Jennifer Aniston in interviewes, which in my opinion, is very out of place.
you cannot complain about the Paparazzis following you anywhere and wondering about your own kids' safety, when you do interviewes and photo shoots with your partner (think Vogue and Vanity Fair) which will obviously add the craziness.

:huh:

So she shouldn't talk about the horrible state of these third world countries and the lack of food and medical care they need??

She's Angelina Jolie! You think she needs to hire paps? Even if that were the case,why would it be a bad thing for people to see what it's really like in these countries, because, and this is just a guess, I doubt you've seen it firsthand. What's wrong with making people aware?

And let me get this straight, she shouldn't say anything about the man she loves?

I'm truly baffled. There's just no making people happy.:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Angelina's comments were taken out of context. What a sad news day it must be to come up with this tripe.

^^ :lol: Although I think that how Madonna bought the whole damn media into her adoption, when she hasn't even met the kid yet was completely overrated.

fashionicon said:
:huh:

So she shouldn't talk about the horrible state of these third world countries and the lack of food and medical care they need??

She's Angelina Jolie! You think she needs to hire paps? Even if that were the case,why would it be a bad thing for people to see what it's really like in these countries, because, and this is just a guess, I doubt you've seen it firsthand. What's wrong with making people aware?

And let me get this straight, she shouldn't say anything about the man she loves?

I'm truly baffled. There's just no making people happy.:innocent:

well, she is a celebrity: she cannot complain about the papparazzis and then talk about her private life in public, that draws more attention to her andher family
I do respect her, but then there are so many people out therewho do a lot more than she does. good for her, if she is so happy she wants the whole world to know, but she should know where publicity leads to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->