Angelina Jolie adopts a daughter

Assembler,I hope you didn't think my post was directed toward yours.:wink:

It just gets to the point where people are questioning to much. Obviously she's a great mother. All that matters is that she is providing for a child that needs it.

I understand where the debate is coming from. But I think that there is a big difference between adopting an american child and and adopting an ethopian child. Depending on her location, their values can be different from the "you need a mother and a father to grow up normal" mentality. And for all we know, Zahara's mother could have been a single mother as well.

All I know is that she is saving a child who is living in poverty by adopting her and treating her like she is her own. And for me, that's all that matters.^_^

Once again, I congratulate Angelina.

"Once again, I congratulate Angelina."

Me too.

I want a celebrity to adopt me! No more student loans, whooppee! (Just to lighten the mood)

I think we (including myself) should just get back on topic (angelina adopting zahara). Everyone has respectable views on raising children and I'm sure everyone is raising their children according to the way they feel is right and that's all you can do. Even though I don't agree with some views, I support ANY mother and/or father raising a child and am very happy for angelina.

surferchica said:
I think you are confused:blink: . I said, "I don't think a child needs a Father and a Mother to be well-rounded.". Now I do agree if the child get's to see both the parents if they are split then that's great, but I was talking about angelina adopting a child and not needing a father for the child to make her and him "well-rounded children" :D

NO I'm not confused.. I was saying "well said" to you.. The rest was directed at Happiness.

the thing i admire about angelina is that she seems to use her gifts - brains and beauty - to make money but doesn't tkae them so seriously. she's not self-obsessed. i get the impression that once she saw what was going on in the world around her she took responsibility without hesitiation, took advantage of her position in the world, and did something about it. she didn't just sit at home feeling guilty, going to expensive spas. she seems to look at hollywood as her job, not as her life. it is a focussed, self-aware kind of living that sets a good example without having to say a single word.

*AndoraStar* said:
NO I'm not confused.. I was saying "well said" to you.. The rest was directed at Happiness.
Oh ok, sorry about the confusion (on my part) it's hard to read people over these things:flower: :D

meme527 said:
the thing i admire about angelina is that she seems to use her gifts - brains and beauty - to make money but doesn't tkae them so seriously. she's not self-obsessed. i get the impression that once she saw what was going on in the world around her she took responsibility without hesitiation, took advantage of her position in the world, and did something about it. she didn't just sit at home feeling guilty, going to expensive spas. she seems to look at hollywood as her job, not as her life. it is a focussed, self-aware kind of living that sets a good example without having to say a single word.
Even though I'm not fond of her, I do agree with you. She is one of the few hollywood stars that actually do more charity work than they do hollywood work. I mean the Live 8 concert, while I support them raising awareness, it did absolutely nothing to help the children in africa and all around the world. They should have raised money, or took the money that they spent on giving the celebrities the amazing gift baskets and spent that towards poverty in Africa. I mean showing up in Armani suits and Gucci shoes and holding prada handbags at a poverty event is kind of irrelevent, why don't they sell those items and send that money to help other children.
Anyway, I appreciat everything Angelina does in the Charity aspect of her life and I think she is one of the few celebrities that not only raises awarenss about poverty but she also does something about it. Good for her. She deserves an award or something.:flower:

I agree with both surferchica and meme527. She is a remarkable woman who uses her talents for a good cause.

Congrats to her and her newly extended family.:D

OMG I'm so happy/excited for her. Its been kinda fun watching Maddox grow up so I'm excited to see what the future has in store for the happy family. She seems like such a great mother! Any child would be happy to have her as a mother (and brad as a father...) ::wink wink::

Excuse me and I beg the pardon of a few remarks. I silently read, but I had to say someting today.

I was curious....to you *Happiness*....why on earth are you apologizing? While I respect everyones opinion, I respect everything that Angelina Jolie is doing and love her for it...I respect your opinion as well. And happiness, whomever said you were 'single mother bashing' based on your simple single-line and "ABSOLUTELY NORMAL" comment is obviously going through some personl issues....probably as a single parent presumably. All you did was make a statement that 78% of the Unites States Census beleives as well. 8% is undecided and only 14% disagrees. So why apologize for saying someting that makes sense?

Old fashioned? my goodness...you call the fact that someone believes that our wonderful & beautiful children should have a Father & a Mother around --->Old Fashioned?? Are you kidding me. For the last 2000 years this is how we as Human Beings inhabiting the planet Earth have done....and now, all of a sudden, in the year 2005, to beleive you need a Daddy & a Mommy is old fashioned?

*Happiness*, apologize for nothing. While I do beleive children can grow up to be WONDERFUL people with just a single mother OR father. There's an exception to every rule. But for those that don't believe having both parents present for children is neccessary...then I suppose you just disagree with 1000's & 1000's of compounded years of scientific behavioural study from psychiatrists and psychologists who believe it is neccessary to have both parents around. I guess all of a sudden you're the expert and you're right and they're wrong. And since when can one evaluate ones self? How do you know you're "fine"? Cause "you" said "you" are? You're 100% A-Ok cause YOU think you are? C'mon please.

Anyhow....the point is... If having only Mom around or Dad around is good...then having both around is GREAT! and if you think anyone who believes that is "single mother bashing" then please *snap* out of it.

And what about single fathers? Why is she only bashing single moms and not dads?? I knw some great single fathers...seems you are bashing him because you didnt include 'dads' in your bashing statement.

Angeleina Jolie is doing her societal part and we must applaud her for that. Not many people, even those with $millions$ of dollars will do that. I truly hope with a schedule like hers that she is pouring love and affection into her children...so much love that they can't take it and that they grow up loving one another and everyone aroud them the same way. I just can't help to think how much sweeter it would be if Angelina's children had a Dad around to double-up on that and education.

Signed,

- The 24 year Old, "Old Fashioned" Single Mother, American Fashion Designer

Last edited by a moderator:
Designers_Mind said:
Excuse me and I beg the pardon of a few remarks. I silently read, but I had to say someting today.

I was curious....to you *Happiness*....why on earth are you apologizing? While I respect everyones opinion, I respect everything that Angelina Jolie is doing and love her for it...I respect your opinion as well. And happiness, whomever said you were 'single mother bashing' based on your simple single-line and "ABSOLUTELY NORMAL" comment is obviously going through some personl issues....probably as a single parent presumably. All you did was make a statement that 78% of the Unites States Census beleives as well. 8% is undecided and only 14% disagrees. So why apologize for saying someting that makes sense?

Old fashioned? my goodness...you call the fact that someone believes that our wonderful & beautiful children should have a Father & a Mother around --->Old Fashioned?? Are you kidding me. For the last 2000 years this is how we as Human Beings inhabiting the planet Earth have done....and now, all of a sudden, in the year 2005, to beleive you need a Daddy & a Mommy is old fashioned?

*Happiness*, apologize for nothing. While I do beleive children can grow up to be WONDERFUL people with just a single mother OR father. There's an exception to every rule. But for those that don't believe having both parents present for children is neccessary...then I suppose you just disagree with 1000's & 1000's of compounded years of scientific behavioural study from psychiatrists and psychologists who believe it is neccessary to have both parents around. I guess all of a sudden you're the expert and you're right and they're wrong. And since when can one evaluate ones self? How do you know you're "fine"? Cause "you" said "you" are? You're 100% A-Ok cause YOU think you are? C'mon please.

Anyhow....the point is... If having only Mom around or Dad around is good...then having both around is GREAT! and if you think anyone who believes that is "single mother bashing" then please *snap* out of it.

And what about single fathers? Why is she only bashing single moms and not dads?? I knw some great single fathers...seems you are bashing him because you didnt include 'dads' in your bashing statement.

Angeleina Jolie is doing her societal part and we must applaud her for that. Not many people, even those with $millions$ of dollars will do that. I truly hope with a schedule like hers that she is pouring love and affection into her children...so much love that they can't take it and that they grow up loving one another and everyone aroud them the same way. I just can't help to think how much sweeter it would be if Angelina's children had a Dad around to double-up on that and education.

Signed,

Amen to that!^I agree with everything you said

Sonja

Designers_Mind said:

Signed,

Um Ok:unsure: :huh: .... No one said she was single mother bashing, I just personally think that a child doesn't nessesarily need a mother AND father to be a well-rounded child. If they do have both parents than that's cool. And I did we were talking about single fathers as well if you would read the post thoughroughly. I think a child needs someone who loves and cares for them with all their heart and can provide a loving,stable home for them, look out for their best interest, and raise them the best way they know how whether it be a mother and father, a single father or mother or grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, sisters, brothers, anyone as long as there's support I don't think it really matters.

I think you're statements were a little harsh and I believe you assumed WAY too much out of what we were saying. Maybe you should ask us before you direct a full fledge pledge against us for stating our opinions. Sorry if I'm being rude but I don't think you're statements we're right. I was in no way trying to bash her for her views or anything like that, I was and I think everyone else was simply stating their opinion and the fact that they didn't see eye to eye with *Happiness*.
Happiness I'm sorry if you thought we were bashing you, we, or at least I, wasn't trying to come off that way. It was my opinion and you could take it as you please. Sorry if I offended you.:flower:

I agree 100% with Designers_Mind.

Surferchica... I found your above statement absurd. (and I am dying to give you a grammar/punctuation lesson!) "maybe you should ask us before you direct a full fledge bledge against us for stating our opinions." Don't you think you could have done that before attacking everything *happiness* said?

The point designers_mind was trying to make was that clearly, yes, a supportive mother and father is best for a child, and you shouldn't criticize someone who is stating what is clearly obvious (although there are exceptions, of course.)

I think too often we get caught up in being PC, in being tolerant of everything and accepting and we forget that sometimes doing things they way they've always been done and having beliefs that have been around for a long time is often a good thing for one reason: it's right.

That said, I hope Angelina is able to provide well for her children (and i'm not talking about $$$).

hotpinky said:

Surferchica... I found your above statement absurd. (and I am dying to give you a grammar/punctuation lesson!)

Wow thanks that doesn't make me feel stupid at all. :unsure: Sorry if I'm not the best at grammar/punctuation, but you really didn't have to bring that up, now I feel really good about myself. I apologized to *Happiness* if she felt attacked by us but I'm not going to back down from the fact that I think children don't need both a mother and father (sorry I found no other way to state that, can you teach me pleeze~ sarcasm) I think a child needs a good supports system and I'm again sorry to happiness if I personally bashed her or any of her views. As for Designers_Mind I agree with some of your views but I don't agree with the way that you approach it, you kind of came off as a "know it all" imo with all the statistics and stuff, but I do agree with some of your views.

EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO GET ON A HIGH HORSE ABOUT WHICH METHOD OF PARENTING IS BEST, PLEASE GO START YOUR OWN THREAD SOMEWHERE ELSE!

maybe somebody should start a thread about single motherhood vs. heterosexual man and woman parenting, let's not even mention lesbian and gay parents, or grandparents raising children... i am sure you all have opinions about whether people should be married or if it is okay to live together, and all kinds of things that aren't really your business....i am feeling pretty impatient with the moralizing, myself.

i would like to request that the moderators step in, as i just don't think this is a good direction for this thrread to go in. we avoid politics at tFS for rthis very reason.

hotpinky said:

Surferchica... I found your above statement absurd. (and I am dying to give you a grammar/punctuation lesson!) "maybe you should ask us before you direct a full fledge bledge against us for stating our opinions." Don't you think you could have done that before attacking everything *happiness* said? The point designers_mind was trying to make was that clearly, yes, a supportive mother and father is best for a child, and you shouldn't criticize someone who is stating what is clearly obvious (although there are exceptions, of course.)

I think too often we get caught up in being PC, in being tolerant of everything and accepting and we forget that sometimes doing things they way they've always been done and having beliefs that have been around for a long time is often a good thing for one reason: it's right.
well, what a condescending load of bollocks this is.

there is nothing that gets a mother so angry as an attack on her family.
i feel like a mother bear, quite ready to protect her cubs by any means necessary.
how dare you tell me what is right! your ego is getting the best of you,
i don't need your tolerance, and as for acceptance, please accept my invitation to take your moral/political views to another forum.
perhaps the christian right has a board you can post on?

meme527 said:

i feel like a mother bear, quite ready to protect her cubs by any means necessary.
i don't need your tolerance, and as for acceptance, please accept my invitation to kiss my a**.

how dare you tell me what is right.
Completely Agree:D

meme527 said:

how dare you tell me what is right! your ego is getting the best of you,
i don't need your tolerance, and as for acceptance, please accept my invitation to take your moral/political views to another forum.
perhaps the christian right has a board you can post on?
Well i must say your post was rather hypocritical and rude

Sonja

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplesilversilversilver
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->