Balenciaga F/W 2022.23 Paris

Its kinda chilling the fact this collection and presentation was conceived months prior and its the most NOW thing that we saw this fashion month. Suddenly Balenciaga trolling/ironic approach is not funny, light or satirical anymore, it was all so serious, that got me thinking that maybe I should look at the Balenciaga clothes different now, they fell different now. Maybe he always had a point since the beginning, maybe he had something more to say than a 'mockery fashion commentary' take that we gave him credit for, and it take a situation like the one that is happening now for us to see that.

I'm being crazy??

The truth is I don't see the point of presenting a collection when the message behind it is more important than the clothes. This is a fashion show so please put the clothes first. If the clothes are not your priority then what the point.
I know what you are saying here and feel the same in a way, but I also think that at our point in time, fashion shows from big houses, especially like Balenciaga, really have no point aside from being a marketing event. Yeah there are clients that go to these shows but it's mostly press, friends, influencers etc etc. It's a party/event thrown for the media to sell bags and shoes. And especially with someone like Demna at Balenciaga, as everyone's said, the clothes look the same season after season. There's no real big surprise there. He's established his aesthetic and silhouettes, and you know what you're going to get from him if you go to the store. So I feel like a crazy show like this (so fing good btw) for him is totally acceptable.

Which then makes me think he really must understand how stupid the fashion industry and consumers are, and seriously might be on the same vibe as like "my job literally is just to sell overpriced bags and shoes and t-shirts for kering so I'm going to do it my way" so he rolls deep into whatever ironic sh*t poking fun at corporate stupidity and our degrading society. Which ends up being scary as a viewer when you realize that his shows and clothes really are a direct reflection of the path we're headed on...

Honestly a majority of the time I hate over intellectualizing fashion because I think face-value and subject matter are the most important end results. But the subject matter that he continually presents is just so... makes you think.

I have never been a fan of his, but this fashion show proved that he has a strong position in the company. His superiors must respect him by allowing him to externalize his private view of the current situation. I would have preferred to use mud instead of snow, it would have been a much stronger message, but snow probably looks better. The mud from the thaw is affecting the fighting in some parts of Ukraine.

It was a powerful show, a strong show!
I love the layers we can peel from that in terms intellectual discussion when it comes to fashion. The fact that the audience looked through the windows, in the comfort of their seat and the heated place, in the same way that we as a society looks at tragic events through our screens, in the comfort of our homes.
There was something decadent, apocalyptic, ridiculous, silly and yet beautiful about this presentation. The women were of course in that type of menacing glamour with very sexy heels, the movement of the dresses thanks to the wind…

He used old McQueen ideas from Voss SS 2001 and FW 2003 but adapted to his own aesthetics. Now he belongs to fashion history. He is not a genius designer, but he can draw from others and turn it into his own visual language.

There was an obvious anticipation for this show considering Demna’s personal history and how he has made eastern-Europe style part of current western world fashion.

It was a powerful show, a strong show!
I love the layers we can peel from that in terms intellectual discussion when it comes to fashion. The fact that the audience looked through the windows, in the comfort of their seat and the heated place, in the same way that we as a society looks at tragic events through our screens, in the comfort of our homes.
There was something decadent, apocalyptic, ridiculous, silly and yet beautiful about this presentation. The women were of course in that type of menacing glamour with very sexy heels, the movement of the dresses thanks to the wind…

The show was a real, strong fashion moment. The clothes kind of becomes a supporting cast in a way, except maybe for the bags. The trash bags in luxury are nothing new, Marc Jacobs did them for Vuitton in 2010 but given the context of this show, it has a stronger significance.

But at the same time, it’s impossible to look at this show and not feel uncomfortable about it. Balenciaga is luxury fashion house. Everything has a consumerist vibe to it. It’s not Margiela in the 90’s. Extracted from the context, these clothes will just be perfect for the candid shots of Kim Kardashian, the yellow tracksuit will probably be a hit for hypebeast on IG and the blue dress will probably be transformed as a political/glamorous statement at the OSCARS redcarpet…

As always, Lola, you raise a lot of very interesting and valid points.
This show was so uneasy and chilling, without any form of subtlety. Very powerful and I think very right for these times.
No other designer for a luxury house could have done a similar show at this very moment.

I think it's interesting that the Balenciaga Instagram is redirecting to donations for the World Food Programme for Ukraine, the donation page branded with a Balenciaga logo.
When everything can be read as a commentary in very unsettling times, it's hard to not be cynical sometimes.
From Ukraine to Kim Kardashian, it's very complex to navigate.

Brands more than ever are trying to convey the message that they're doing the right thing (whatever that may be) and standing for the right values.
Consumerism and the appeal of luxury brands will not dissappear altogether but to what extent do clients want to be confronted with a miserable reality which is probably far from their own reality?

I have never been a fan of his, but this fashion show proved that he has a strong position in the company. His superiors must respect him by allowing him to externalize his private view of the current situation. I would have preferred to use mud instead of snow, it would have been a much stronger message, but snow probably looks better. The mud from the thaw is affecting the fighting in some parts of Ukraine.

He used old McQueen ideas from Voss SS 2001 and FW 2003 but adapted to his own aesthetics. Now he belongs to fashion history. He is not a genius designer, but he can draw from others and turn it into his own visual language.
Balenciaga reached the Billion with him so of course he has a strong position in the company….
And brands have no issues having positions as long as they have people in the front center who have a legitimacy on the subject. And in a way it’s very interesting for Balenciaga because Fashion brands, and French brands for that matter, have to walk that fine line between expressing their support for the Ukranians without having a strong Anti-Russian position.
And that legitimacy of Demna, through his personal story tells a little bit more in terms of political stance…

Yes, McQueen came to me first as a reference.
Demna has is the moment but it’s too early for me to say if he is a great or a good designer. He is a major designer.

In the end, I think what stays is the clothes. Some designers where masters showmen but I think that within the context of the shows, people remembers the clothes or the body of work.
This show will probably be important in the career of Demna and in the history of Balenciaga but it’s not representative of his work in an intellectual sense.

This show, without the two last looks and the political context would have been probably the same and our take away from that would have been different.
Fashion is about timing and timing is perfect (even if it’s weird to say that) this time.

Brands more than ever are trying to convey the message that they're doing the right thing (whatever that may be) and standing for the right values.
Consumerism and the appeal of luxury brands will not dissappear altogether but to what extent do clients want to be confronted with a miserable reality which is probably far from their own reality?

"The triumph of laziness"; or how to present the same clothes with a powerful set to distract for such an obvious fact.

The pics are so blurry that I cannot help but feeling that I´m just looking at the screenshoots of a new Silent Hill videogame.

Fog and more fog. An arty way of saying "the dog ate my homework" without words.

And sorry...but McQueen did it better back in 1999:

THIS.

It was an uncomfortable watch, and veered perilously close to using a humanitarian crisis as an aesthetic.
The Guardian

The staging of the show was incredible and very FASHUN in that kind of Zoolander way, but to be honest, this whole creative exercise makes absolutely no sense. For a start, the clothes are quite average compared to what he has done before. In fact, I thought his previous collections would have made more sense in the context of this show. For example the closing looks of the A/W 2018, where the models were wearing (what seemed like) all the clothes they had in one look, almost as if they were escaping from somewhere in a stage of urgency with everything they had.

But then I read the notes about the show, and suddenly it all made sense. This was nothing to do with refugees and the crisis in Ukraine. It was about the climate emergency. The whole Ukraine thing was tacked onto the end in the process of making this show to be topical and make headlines.

When the show was planned six months ago, the snow scene was intended as a comment on the climate emergency. “It was about what snow might mean in the future. And by the future, I mean now – when there are ski resorts that don’t have snow any more,” said Demna, who no longer uses his surname, Gvasalia. “But then it took on a whole different meaning, because of the crisis we are in.”
The Guardian

I don't know, the whole thing feels very uncomfortable to be honest. I find what Kering and Balenciaga doing to be very performative in terms of activism. A big customer base of Demna's is Russian and a lot of his top top clientele is Russian. Look at the women who were buying from his first Couture collection. I am sure that most of them have very dubious links to the people in power there. Are they going to be banned from future shows? Or refused access to his couture? OF COURSE NOT. Because at the end of the day $$$ talks.

On the surface, the company will take a stance to seem all ethical and moralistic, but behind closed doors, when all that money is being transferred into the bank accounts of Kering/Balenciaga via that same Russian clientele to pay for the Haute Couture and the high end pieces, do you honestly believe Kering will take a stance there and knock back all that money? I don't think so.

And that issue in itself leads to other questions being raised, like, at which point do ethics and morals end when it comes to money in the fashion industry? I know for a fact that there are actual arms dealers attending these fashion shows and sitting front row. Where is the sense in that? You invite and court these customers but at the same time denounce war, which is being fought with weapons traded by these same people that are your clientele? Sorry, but these brands are so full of sh*t!

Wake up people. It's all theatre intended to get clicks and likes and shares on social media and in the press. It's shameless.

I love Balenciaga by Demna and I do find myself wanting the pieces from most collections. The show was good and I enjoyed the presentation--I am happy he's back with these cinematic shows and this show will probably grow on me as time goes on. With that being said, I find not much is being proposed with this collection. As predictable as Demna's collections may have become, there is usually at least one new thing in the collection that he builds upon in future collections. With this one, I can't find that new silhouette, that new IT accessory, etc.. I also can't help but roll my eyes at the climate change message--that was his theme for the F/W 2020 (which this one feels like a continuation of), F/W 2021 (the video game one), and now again. Considering Balenciaga seems to churn out a large amount of merchandise at a fast pace, it comes across hypocritical--just like any other brand or designer that tries to be climate-friendly (*ahem* Gabriela Hearst). I prefer Demna just say he enjoys the aesthetic of an apocalyptic space rather than try to always make it a political message. At this point, I'm almost waiting for them plant real trees in the retail stores a la Apple if they want to be this performative. Love the brand, love the items, love the branding, dislike the virtue-signaling.

This is an odd collection because it personally raises a lot of concerns.

Firstly, the clothes. I can't see them properly and yet I already know what they look like. I'm still waiting for Demna to further develop as a designer and introduce some interesting propositions that aren't just constant rehashes of his personal archive. Take this away from the setting and put it next to has previous work at Balenciaga and at Vetements, and his vocabulary with fashion is notably limited. Other designers have done this fog/"interesting" lighting thing this season and I hate it. Suggests you're hiding something. The beauty of McQueen's Overlook collection (and same goes for VOSS) for me is that despite the set, the clothes were still very present.

Secondly, the message. I'm not one for when fashion gets political because it always comes across as hypocritical (hello, hi Westwood...). Donations and providing financial support can be tax deductible, the client's/front row member's careers are questionable and the production of some of these items are contentious (i.e. sneakers and dye stuff in denim/black pieces). It feels alienating and somewhat cringe because if it's timing, but it is going to be trending which is ironic. Fashion and politics can go hand in hand, but fashion being political never exactly works out well.

I've never been fond of Demna because of his approach which has trickled down so noticeably and easily to other designers. There is this huge strive towards this postmodern uniformity that is clouded with over-intellectualism to disguise the peddling and deranged passion for consumerism. It isn't necessarily the look, but the feel of the collections that carries this. I'm seeing it so much in so many different ways that the dystopian feel of this show is actually a sad look into what the future of fashion is going to be like. Aeon Flux, Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex, Brazil and Brave New World all rolled into one. It's one thing to have a signature feel, look or cut, but when the collections are this similar I can't help but think Demna wants people to dress in his strict uniform codes.

This show was not about the clothes, it's about a message. a state of being. a struggle. an Invoacation. I applaud Demna for his vision. And his rightfulness.

He's the only one designer at the moment that evokes something in me right now.

I don't know, the whole thing feels very uncomfortable to be honest. I find what Kering and Balenciaga doing to be very performative in terms of activism. A big customer base of Demna's is Russian and a lot of his top top clientele is Russian. Look at the women who were buying from his first Couture collection. I am sure that most of them have very dubious links to the people in power there. Are they going to be banned from future shows? Or refused access to his couture? OF COURSE NOT. Because at the end of the day $$$ talks.

On the surface, the company will take a stance to seem all ethical and moralistic, but behind closed doors, when all that money is being transferred into the bank accounts of Kering/Balenciaga via that same Russian clientele to pay for the Haute Couture and the high end pieces, do you honestly believe Kering will take a stance there and knock back all that money? I don't think so.

And that issue in itself leads to other questions being raised, like, at which point do ethics and morals end when it comes to money in the fashion industry? I know for a fact that there are actual arms dealers attending these fashion shows and sitting front row. Where is the sense in that? You invite and court these customers but at the same time denounce war, which is being fought with weapons traded by these same people that are your clientele? Sorry, but these brands are so full of sh*t!

Wake up people. It's all theatre intended to get clicks and likes and shares on social media and in the press. It's shameless.
His note didn't come off as a marketing or selling point to me. It just seemed like he, himself removed from the company, wanted to talk about his experience. And I agree I maybe would've wanted to cancel the show too if I was him because fashion week is frivolous compared to something that serious. Like how can I be doing something so fun and grand when people are dying and being displaced next-door. But it's true, why stop it? For him I guess he doesn't want to give in to negativity, but in reality war has been happening all the time to the people next door, and it's never stopped fashion shows from happening.

And regardless of why people don't cancel fashion shows because of geopolitical conflicts in this day and age, it's because the fashion industry has nothing to do with being a soldier for geopolitics or social justice or whatever. That's why it's called "luxury". Activism and inclusivity are the antithesis of luxury. You can personally decide it's stupid to waste money on stuff because of the gross people that are selling it, but stuff is there to buy. You don't need it, unless you need to get that dopamine rush lol.

That ties into the like arms dealer type people. I know I freaked out at Rick Owens recently for something similarly nauseating, but that's just who this big fancy stuff is for. They have the real money. It's not for regular people. More recently there's been this thing where everyone can buy into "luxury", whether that be through retail price paid on a credit card layaway or an old fancy coat on therealreal or whatever, but actual real luxury can only exist if things are inaccessible and people are left out. There is no like ubiquitous luxury. And maybe since this war in Ukraine has triggered something in people because it hits closer to home for whatever reason, it will become more apparent that there is not as big of a value in things like overpriced clothes/bags/shoes than people give them. Yeah I will still buy it regardless bc I'm a person who grew up being a consumer wanting to buy sh*t because it makes me feel good for 5 seconds but it's not that serious. The goalpost for whatever "luxury" is will just keep on moving further down the line to something else, and the only people who will be able to afford it will be whatever war criminals come next lol. You can't make it be politically correct or "fair". That's literally just what it is.

As always, Lola, you raise a lot of very interesting and valid points.
This show was so uneasy and chilling, without any form of subtlety. Very powerful and I think very right for these times.
No other designer for a luxury house could have done a similar show at this very moment.

I think it's interesting that the Balenciaga Instagram is redirecting to donations for the World Food Programme for Ukraine, the donation page branded with a Balenciaga logo.
When everything can be read as a commentary in very unsettling times, it's hard to not be cynical sometimes.
From Ukraine to Kim Kardashian, it's very complex to navigate.

Thank you for the compliment :smile:

You know, it’s all performative in a sense indeed. It’s all performative because consumers, in a very hypocritical way demands for brands they aren’t customers of , to take stance on political issues when they don’t have the same rigor for the companies they are working for.

Those brands sells mass products, like a lot of brands, so they are afraid of mass criticism.

I find it interesting that people call for boycott under a post on a dress but I find it also interesting that they aren’t calling for the boycott of countries who supports the Russian regime. Maybe because that’s a demand that will have maybe more impact for their day to day comfort.

And to the question « to what extent do clients want to be confronted with a miserable reality which is probably far from their own reality », I want to say « who said they aren’t ».
The invasion of Ukraine is different because it hits home for a lot of people, given the fact that it’s in Europe but I don’t think that we can say that, prior to that war, we were living in a peaceful world. It hasn’t stopped clients to buy or us to enjoy collections and discuss about it.

Social media has this advantage that it put a zoom on subjects and eliminates the barrier of distance. We see this with the impact of what’s going on in Ukraine compared to the little impact of what happened in Crimea

I think that as long as individuals’s own comfort is not threaten (and I include myself in it) they will continue to indulge with consumerism and frivolity, which are by the way sometimes very important. The question is how to consume differently.

But as you said, it’s very hard to navigate with Balenciaga.
I wonder if that means that irony is dead for Demna. This show was supposed to be ironic and it turned out to be serious. Can he go back to irony in 6 months?

Last edited:
No one can doubt his position and finger on the pulse marketing wise!!

The show while it’s been done before.. still had an impact which is good for Demna and the brand at large.

You can’t see the clothes properly but you can clearly identify that they are lacking… With every collection it seems the same as before but watered down. And almost at this point seems he will hide the clothes with production gimmicks to hide from how stale the actual clothes are!!

The association with Kim Kardashian then seems perfect because he is using that same formula to heighten the brands appeal. Which is a win win for everyone involved.

The clothes should speak first.. everything else should be secondary..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->