Balenciaga S/S 2005 Paris

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Oct 5 2004, 09:26 PM
Great show. I love the dresses that opened. Very mature and simplified from Nicolas. No more pretentious art world nonsense.
[snapback]386904[/snapback]​
I felt that way too, you can tell he was trying less to be avant garde and it came off so much better, much more natural. So far it's one of the most promising collections I've seen........

true surprise! :shock: :heart:
never a fan but I think I'm in love this time.
that first piece is amazing :heart:
but the lace ones :unsure:

ok and can we talk about the shoes....clearly nicolas loves his sky high heels...i'm not sure however if i like the gold zipper running down the middle... :unsure:

Attachments

• 00340f.jpg
    00340f.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 00060f.jpg
    00060f.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 22
Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 5 2004, 10:46 PM
ok and can we talk about the shoes....clearly nicolas loves his sky high heels...i'm not sure however if i like the gold zipper running down the middle... :unsure:
[snapback]386974[/snapback]​
I kinda like it on the second pic you posted, but not on the first one.

I have to say for the most part it's a gerat collection

Me lovey :ninja: , with the exception of the lace dresses, which look a bit sl*tty to me .

Loving the buttons. I"ve been looking for a jacket like that.

Balenciaga’s Mistresses and Commanders

October 05, 2004 - Paris

If they ever remake Master & Commander, stage it on a spaceship and turn the all make cast into beautiful women, then forget about hiring a costume director, Balenciaga has produced everything you’d need for the film.

In a tour de force of rifling through the old to invent the new, Balenciaga’s designer Nicolas Ghesquiere created easily the most authentically original collection we have seen so far in the spring-summer 2005 season in London, Milan, New York or Paris.

“I wanted to dress the crew of a ship, but one in a science fiction movie,” explained Ghesquiere, as the Gotha of the industry’s fashion editors waited patiently to compliment the designer after Tuesday’s show.

Access to Balenciaga’s shows, which of late are staged in a sparse St Germain studio, is restricted to around 200 people, though the designer could easily fill a hall with ten times that number.

Though greatly inspired by navy officers uniforms, the collection opened with a series of impeccably cut dresses, with flared frilly hems worn with Japanese style wide belts. The designer gradually introduced the naval elements with gold buttons or braid and turned lapels, interspersed with modern details like open horizontal zips from which peeked ruffles and filigrees of fabric.

He showed two superb midshipman’s coats in herringbone made from tiny beads, an excellent series of strikingly cut blazers and some impeccable sailors pants with padded waistbands and intriguingly placed buttons.

“I wanted things a little more dressed up, Nicolas told FWD. So, while impressively different, the clothes shouted out quality and class, of the sort one associates with gilt edge labels like, say, Chanel.

Ghesquiere, the most important French designer to emerge in a decade, has long had a sterling reputation among the avant garde, though a question mark has hung over his ultimate commercial appeal. This collection will erase any doubts about his future prospects. No wonder Francois Henri Pinault, whose family controls the Gucci Group, the owner of 90% of Balenciaga (Ghesquiere has the rest), left the show with a smile as broad as a Cheshire cat.

FWD

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 5 2004, 09:50 PM
even though I'm not too fond of those 80's golden details, I'm digging this jacket
00150f.jpg

and this look
00300f.jpg

[snapback]386555[/snapback]​

i actually totally agree with you. i like the gold details on the first jacket though.

btw, i was quite surprised to see both eva herzigova and may andersen on the runway. esp. may as i think she's not really doing anything but swimwear at the moment. hm.

May Anderson needs to go back to wherever she came from. What a shock to see her here. Other than that, I love the show.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Oct 6 2004, 09:29 PM
May Anderson needs to go back to wherever she came from. What a shock to see her here. Other than that, I love the show.
[snapback]387686[/snapback]​

then we agree :wink: same goes for eva.

He's done better before before his pretention overtook him, but this is a nice directional change. Shift the spotlight back to the tailoring, the fluidity, and the structure of the clothes.

Has Nic been sailing when he designed the clothes? From the blue dresses with wave-like, volumnious skirts to the awesome sailor pants to the exclusive use of navy and white... This is a very ocean-inspired collection. You can almost feel the breeze.

00070f.jpg
00080f.jpg

00150f.jpg
00300f.jpg

00140f.jpg
00260f.jpg

I see Caroline Winberg's look called the Best of the Season.

And the mods look Calvin Klein-clean/fresh without being tired/washed-out. Another great change!

Originally posted by LibertyRose@Oct 6 2004, 01:35 PM
Has Nic been sailing when he designed the clothes? From the blue dresses with wave-like, volumnious skirts to the awesome sailor pants to the exclusive use of navy and white... This is a very ocean-inspired collection. You can almost feel the breeze.

I see Caroline Winberg's look called the Best of the Season.
[snapback]387804[/snapback]​
I love that ocean description, it's actually very accurate when looking again at these pics :shock: :woot:

oh, and yay for albinos! :P

Just to let everyone know, there are high-quality larger images of the show up at balenciaga.com.

Wow, after seeing the entire thing, this is one of the best collections so far. Nicholas, all I can say is, well done. I love the jackets paired with wide, slouchy pants......those were my favorites. I don't normally like the whole naval thing, but it worked really well here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->