Balmain DIY

^ That's the exact (Target) Go International vest that lucy92 posted above... and it's 5x the original price. :lol::rolleyes:

It is very Balmain-esque.

it may turn into a disaster but tomorrow im going ot the fabric shop and buy all that i need to make a balmain jacket...from scratch. wish me luck!

^ That's the exact (Target) Go International vest that lucy92 posted above... and it's 5x the original price. :lol::rolleyes:

i notice that, they looked very similar until i googled the other vest and i realized it was the same vest. it seems the girl is totally taking credit for creating the vest...hmmm

That's really dodgy :s I've been looking for a marching band vest for a while and came across that one on eBay too and I thought the price was pretty exorbitant, now even more so because I know it's from Target.

I wish US Target shipped internationally, I would love that Target vest.

wow, that price is insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my opinion on the shoulders: I'm thinking you could paper mache the shape you need using a really well shaped hanger in your closet that looks like this:
MyPicture.jpg

Photo90.jpg

I would add a bra cup and shape to look like the shoulder ( see how I scrunched it a little towards the middle), hold in place and use that as a mold for the paper mache. I would paper mache the shape and then use the paper mache mold to create a custom shaped shoulder pad. I would probably include the bra cup to keep the shape and to provide some cushioning and fill it with layers of batting to finish the pad off.

crude pics, but I'm just rattling off the top of my head.

If it was just padding, I don't think it could keep shape after a while because of the roundness. I wouldn't be surprise to see some kind of hard molding within the layers.

great shot educo. That shape is pretty much exact. And that beaded blouse is SO overpriced. I know it's slightly OT, but Persephone have had that blouse up for like 6 months. Their original price was $799.99 and unsurprisingly, no one bought it.

it has a lot of work and detailing but it also looks very dated and that price is ridiculous.

Wow thats beautiful ^^

I was thinking about doing a DIY on the balmain shoulders too but sadly, there isnt an easy one if you have not experience with patternmaking. And definitely better to make one from scratch rather than using an existing blazer.

I'd love to stud a jacket like that, but how long would it take and is it really tough to push the studs through?? do you need a gun thing to do it?

I thought someone might also appreciate this http://www.stylescrapbook.com/2009/01/diy-balmain.html

I DIY'd the studded blazer. and it took many many many hours lol. It was a pain bc you have to align the studs around the curve of the neck, & the lapel otherwise they either pop up / are raised over other studs / or looks cheap.

I ordered 200+ 1/2" studs from ebay- they're the type you push in and use pliers to fold down... But after all the work the blazer looks badass!^_^

ive been workin on a mock up for the balmain jacket and its been quite hard. surprisingly giving shape to the shoulder isnt the hardest part, that was quite easy actually, because of the material, on nap it says its made from canvas and that fabric holds up the shape pretty good, the difficult thing is to give the 2piece sleeve sleeve a slim fit with the tricky cut on the shoulder-sleeve.

bal.JPG
nap

the picture shows how the normal princess cut bodice looks like(the red line), (im doing the black version but this one shows better the cuts and seams)but in the jacket the addition to make the volumen on the shoulder comes all the way to the sleeve, but is still part of the bodice and making a perfect fit sleeve is driving me nuts!

ill take a break go get some fresh air and continue with this later.

how are you going to embellish it and with what?

i imagine this project must be frustrating...:unsure:

ive been workin on a mock up for the balmain jacket and its been quite hard. surprisingly giving shape to the shoulder isnt the hardest part, that was quite easy actually, because of the material, on nap it says its made from canvas and that fabric holds up the shape pretty good, the difficult thing is to give the 2piece sleeve sleeve a slim fit with the tricky cut on the shoulder-sleeve.

View attachment 444800
nap

the picture shows how the normal princess cut bodice looks like(the red line), (im doing the black version but this one shows better the cuts and seams)but in the jacket the addition to make the volumen on the shoulder comes all the way to the sleeve, but is still part of the bodice and making a perfect fit sleeve is driving me nuts!

ill take a break go get some fresh air and continue with this later.

As for the sleeve, you most definitely need to a two piece sleeve. you will not get a slim fit with just one piece ( I don't know if you're doing a 1 piece sleeve or not).

As far as the shoulder, it's basically a shaped extended shoulder. I have to look it up the picture I'm trying to explain but are you doing this on the form or are you flat patternmaking it.

the sleeve is a major biatch!:judge: but i think im pretty close to do it right, so far i just need to adjust a few things. good thing im working on a mock up and not the actual fabric.

for the embellishments i plan to combine both the black one and the denim styles. i want it to be black canvas but the embellishments on that one are a little too much for me, and i think itll look nice with the chains from the denim jacket, just a thin chain going back and forth and maybe some crystals or crystal buttons. ill keep the lenght of the black one though. ill show you how its coming together^_^

the sleeve is a major biatch!:judge: but i think im pretty close to do it right, so far i just need to adjust a few things. good thing im working on a mock up and not the actual fabric.

for the embellishments i plan to combine both the black one and the denim styles. i want it to be black canvas but the embellishments on that one are a little too much for me, and i think itll look nice with the chains from the denim jacket, just a thin chain going back and forth and maybe some crystals or crystal buttons. ill keep the lenght of the black one though. ill show you how its coming together^_^

Maybe cutting the sleeve on bias will give you a better fit. Dior's sleeves are mostly cut on the bias.

As for the sleeve, you most definitely need to a two piece sleeve. you will not get a slim fit with just one piece ( I don't know if you're doing a 1 piece sleeve or not).

As far as the shoulder, it's basically a shaped extended shoulder. I have to look it up the picture I'm trying to explain but are you doing this on the form or are you flat patternmaking it.

i am doing a two piece sleeve indeed. i did it all flat, and the part of the shoulder came up really nice and puffy and stiff but i still need to trim off the excess of fabric that gathers on some parts near the shoulder. i wanted to do it flat because im doing first this mock up, then one jacket for me and one for my sister so i need to find an accurate way to duplicate this and the flat pattern seems the best idea so far. ill go back to sew and see if i can post pictures of it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->