Blogging your way into fashion week

I really like this thread! :D

Has anyone seen "the frugal fashionista" blog? I just ran across this one the other day and thought it was really cute!:

http://frugal-fashionista.blogspot.com/

I'm also starting a blog. It's going to focus on fashion in Atlanta (street style, boutiques/shopping directory, fashion shows & events, sales, etc.). I want it to be "the" resource for everything fashion-related in Atlanta.

^How do I go about doing such? I am basically blog-illiterate, so I have no idea how to network and such. How do I "link" to other blogs, in particular? Thanks for your advice! :flower:

I started my first blog on Blogger and had no clue what I was doing. I later moved on to WordPress and really love their community. I found that there was always something breaking down at Blogger (at least for me) and there wasn't much help.

WordPress on the other hand, makes it really easy to surf other people's blogs in every genre you can think of. It's free and there are more templates to choose from. The only drawback, is that they do not have AdSense.

But you have to earn $100 (appox 15,000 clicks) in one month to earn your money at AdSense.

If you do start a blog, check out Window Live Writer. It is gives you some versatility than the standard WordPress blog post allows.

I'd be interested in some feedback if anyone is interested in checking out mine www.fashionsensei.wordpress.com

P.S. I'm still waiting for my invite to Fashion Week too!:wink:

Has anyone seen "the frugal fashionista" blog? I just ran across this one the other day and thought it was really cute!:

I'm also starting a blog. It's going to focus on fashion in Atlanta (street style, boutiques/shopping directory, fashion shows & events, sales, etc.). I want it to be "the" resource for everything fashion-related in Atlanta.

Love it! Atlanta is like a second home to me, so I will DEFINITELY be checking out your blog on a regular basis. I love Atlanta especially because all of the really "hot" items that sell out instantly in NY and LA are always relatively easy to find in ATL. If you would like to see what I have been up to, check out my blog at http://thefunkloft.blogspot.com. It definitely needs some direction at this point, but basically I am focusing on runway reviews of my fave designers, spotlighting lesser-known designers in all fields, and posting my seasonal picks, courtesy of polyvore. I also want to do spotlights on celebs (like Diane Kruger) whose styles I really admire. :flower:

I have been sent a handful of invitations but most of time I get sent enquiries by designers and companies who want free press of my blog.

That's a good idea. It would be great if there was a blog for each city and to connect them or something of that sort.

To get invited to fashion Week (NYC, London, Paris), you just cant blog your way into a ticket. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Your best bet would be to contact a MORE known blogger (Bloggers for Fashion Magazines) if your blog is not well know. Chances are, they have/recieve more than 3 tickets per show.

I've had bloggers contact me and I recently gave all my tickets to LFW this year because we didnt attend.

Find the fashion editor of the Online version of your fav magazine, chance are, they are blogging.
It's all about Networking, but NEVER has a show invited a blogger just for the sake of helping their show, not unless it's Perez Hilton. Even Perez was rejected from ALOT of shows.
BabyPhat invite is NOT that hard to get a hold of. He's friends with Marc Jacobs but even he wasn't invited to Louis Vuitton show. Perez will only go as far as Heatherette.

That's my 2 cents. Knowing the PR handlers of the show helps as well.
LA & Miami are the easiest to get into as they are not big deal.

Other than that, just contact a publication, do them a favor and you will get your access.
Good luck.

Erm depending on luck baby ... like me I do fashion writing so most of the time I got invited as a fashion writer and not blogger ... but maybe in the future will get invites on behalf of the blog ... well actually I already did hehehe ... Geren Ford did send me invite to their press preview at NYFW but didn't get a chance to attend ... perhaps this year or next :D

I was watching MTV True life: I'm going to Fashion Week.

They had peoples revolution on there and they were talking about blog invites. Fashionista.com was mentioned, they actually gave them 3rd row seats because they didn't like the name and fashionledger.com they just laughed at because of the title "Does the devil really wear Prada". She was like "who the f%$* cares?" I thought it was funny that they mentioned them though =).

I´ve go my first press seats in march! :blush: It was great to see the clothes so near. It was a small event, but it was a great experience, and I thank the PR of the organization. I have to say, if you look for some names of the catwalk now, you´ll see my blog first in google (and maybe nothing else). And those designers may be the new Gaultiers, you never know, so...

I once got tickets to Eley Kishimoto in London, by writing to the PR company (on every fashion week website you can see each designer and their pr contact) and saying that I was a fashion writer from my country visiting for fashion week. (not entirely true ! shh) And they gave me the tickets. So I guess is just luck ..!

That's a good tactic cristy ... hmm, maybe I should do that for the next LA and NY fashion week :D

i think its a very last minute thing, were pr company's start filling up empty sits with randomies. I was lucky though, because i love eley kishimoto! in my case, the show was on sunday, and they told me on friday afternoon to come pick up the tickets... because i lived in london this was easy for me. my friends COULD NOT believe me. neither did I .. hehe

as for the big cities..give it a shot, let me know if it works :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
bump topic

I have a guaranteed in at certain show(s), however, for my own writing assignments (which would mainly be in correlation with a very well-known international blog), I'd like to seek out other select shows to cover. Would it be wise to contact the PR at each designer's HQ or some general Fashion Week agent?

I would contact whoever is handling the PR/tickets for the show. Depending on the city there is usually one or two agencies that handle this. You can find a lot of that info in the 'which TFSers are attending fashion week shows' thread

IMG is supposedly the agency I should be contacting in NYC; however, last season KCD also handled many of the shows, and I have a contact there. I'm just confused who I should be contacting, and in what order. And I'm doing this as a freelance writer, so I will be covering different shows for different publications, and I'm trying to figure this out on my own! This is my first FW as a member of the "press"; last time, I was helping behind the scenes at the shows themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->