Blogging your way into fashion week

yeah I think it's just a matter of building up a readership and getting a lot of notice. Susie bubble for example has a great blog and has built up a readership. When you build up a readership, people begin to notice and start writing small features on your blog (she's been featured in Grazia, Vogue Paris, etc.) this combines with the fact that fashion houses are beginning to see blogs as a marketing tool and start doing blog specific events (like the Chanel event mentioned above which susie was also invited to) and the Gucci party happening in NYC (which she was also invited to). So like anything I think you just start to build momentum and from that, dividends begin to get paid.

One of my old jobs required me to read many fashion and design blogs a day. Most fashion blogs including some famous ones just post or rephrase fashion news and repost editorial photos. Noting more. Some fashion bloggers' writings can even bore me to death. There are differences between professional and amateur after all.

Most fashion blogs including some famous ones just post or rephrase fashion news and repost editorial photos.

I second this; sometimes I think there are simply too many blogs relating to fashion, and it's mainly because the blogs in question have a tendency to repeat the same ideas: Current trends, fashion shows, etc.

That being said, I'd rather see an abundance of fashion blogs than none whatsoever. It's just a matter of sorting through the good and the bad, the interesting and dull. I've found that the most noteworthy and intriguing blogs are those that bring a new light to fashion, instead of just rewriting something they read on Style.com (and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just saying).

Just my two cents, though.

I agree with both post above. I have found some really good ones (mostly people who work in the industry) and the some that are actually popular, but are just overly done. Too many ads and just trying way to hard. And I agree they can be boring and just copy what style.com has or some other popular site. I'm starting a blog on my clothing but I wouldn't ever have time for a fashion blog.

isn't Susie-Bubble the best example????
I think you should go on her blog and ask...
she even get invited with selected bloggers to spend a day in Chanel's offices.........

this susie is a lucky b****.... :wink:
but her writings and ideas etc. are often pretty interesting....

yeah in my post above I use susie as an example. I think she's also an example of a really GOOD blog. Anyone can find news anywhere and she doesn't discuss news too much, it's mostly her musings and her inspiration which is nice

Internet is having a great moment in fashion in general. Fashion is starting to realise that this is perhaps the most important medium to showcase what you have at the moment. Think further than blogs alone...like style.com who puts on every major collection in it's entirety the day after it has been shown. This then feeds the online fashionista and they wanna wright about it on a blog or discuss it on a place such as tFS. tFS is roamed about by a lot of professionals as well and I know for a fact that several people have found jobs in fashion because industry professionals noticed their insightful and qualitative posts. So, we are being watched and you never know who reads your post!

i read a blog entry somewhere that explained how Chanel had invited a number of bloggers to visit the headquarters in rue cambon. they visited the ateliers, the chanel suite at the Ritz, the apartment, they met Jacques Helleu...

how AMAZING is that? jsut for blogging!!!

Wow which blogs were that? I would love to read about it.

oh? pardon my weird question...but why didn;t you just fly there?

because I don't get paid to blog, I do it because I love to talk about fashion.

Also to fly to LA or New York for one fashion show cost money...which at the time I did not have a lot of.

I have been asked again this LA fashion week in March, which I will consider going to add it as a entry on my blog.

i got my job thru my blog and gets a few invitations, some discounts etc.

Beautiful Stranger what job is that if you don't mind me asking

Last edited by a moderator:
because I don't get paid to blog, I do it because I love to talk about fashion.

Also to fly to LA or New York for one fashion show cost money...which at the time I did not have a lot of.

I have been asked again this LA fashion week in March, which I will consider going to add it as a entry on my blog

I remember that's why people did blogs :flower:.

Not everyone like bloggers.

I found this on Catwalk Queen today:

Target & Proenza Schouler aren't down with bloggers.

Two stories have sparked our curiosity lately in that always interesting relationship between the fashion industry and bloggers.
First up, the New York Times has revealed what Target really thinks of bloggers and that is... well, not much actually. To recap, blogger Amy Jussel from ShapingYouth.org complained to Target concerning one of their ads which depicted a woman's crotch in the center of a bull's eye. This prompted Target to respond with:

"Unfortunately we are unable to respond to your inquiry because Target does not participate with nontraditional media outlets. This practice is in place to allow us to focus on publications that reach our core guest."

As if that wasn't bad enough, the ladies over at Fashionista also caught the wrong end of a funny email which wasn't even addressed to them. It was actually addressed to Fabsugar from the folks at Proenza Schouler to say they weren't going to be permitted to their show at New York Fashion Week. We're guessing it was the standard email to blogs. Hang on... didn't Proenza Schouler do a range for Target?
Now while we could sit here and dissect the whole 'should bloggers be allowed into major fashion shows' issue (note to Mandi Lennard: hi!) what this really serves as is an indicator of this ever interesting relationship between the industry and bloggers. From a PR perspective, who would have thought that the level of brand coverage bloggers provide on a daily basis could be so easily dismissed.

Mind you, for every frustrating account we hear there is some fantastic stories of support for bloggers and recognition from brands, particularly beauty. As WWD recently reported, with the quality and quantity of beauty blogs increasing, the traditional marketing strategies from beauty companies are also adapting.

Speaking from the opposite end of the scale, Susie from Style Bubble blogged today about the impact some designer brands, such as Gucci and Chanel, are having by reaching out to bloggers:

"Caution needs to be taken as to how far a blog aligns themselves with certain brands but from my perspective, it's about blogging firsthand content that is enriched and for readers to be mildly entertained (hopefully!) so let's see what 2008 has to bring for all fashion bloggers and their interaction with brands."
Our own Gemma was lucky enough to be recently invited by Dior to Paris to check out their latest skincare development for our beauty blog Kiss and Makeup.

As always there are a hundred different angles that you could look at this new phenomenon from, and another hundred directions it could take. But whichever way it travels in the next few years, be certain it'll be an interesting ride.
http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/2008/01/target_proenza.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please tell me wich blogs are the best?? Just for good read
I have one in spanish and I think the same about too many blogs and low quality in some of them

the only problem i have with bloggers is them snatching photographs from the internet and not having a courtesy to credit the photographs

Can someone please tell me wich blogs are the best?? Just for good read
I have one in spanish and I think the same about too many blogs and low quality in some of them

Ania (@typepad) fashion 360 or something like that is a great read. She has her own photos and knows Iekeline S. (sp?). (I used to have it bookmarked but I got a new computer recently, so everything is gone =( , a virus tapped into my firewall!)

PEREZ HILTON? puh-lease.

if he's going to be there at fashion week, it's probably only for the celebrities rather than the fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->