Bravo's NYC Prep

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by papa_levante, Jun 18, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

BravoTV

I really got excited about about this show only because I dreamed of growing up in NYC and going to a nice school. :blush::blush:

So far, IMO, these teens are pretty grounded:
    • Camille knows she has to study hard to be successful, but she doesn't yet realize that she can't set in stone everything just yet. She's only 17!
    • PC knows that so many kids get into drugs and have sex and that gossip is worse than a wildfire. At least he's not blinded.
    • Taylor is enjoyable because she knows that money doesn't make the person. I like people who think that way because once the money is gone, what do you have left?
    • Kelli doesn't let being a popstar go to her head. So far. (I have to watch more episodes.) She's adorable. :heart:
    • Sebastian: typical high school boy, trying to get with all the ladies. :rolleyes:
    • Jessie is so stressed about boys. What else is new for girls her age? :innocent: I think I might hate her the most. Drama drama drama in the sunglass shop, if you saw it the sneak preview.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

About:
    BravoTV

[​IMG]

3. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Bios:
    BravoTV

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

(cont.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

-_- Yet, no reality show comes without criticism.
    wikipedia / blogs.wsj.com / nymag / cityfile

6. designerleather

designerleather New Member

I saw the preview about 2 - 3 weeks ago, and grounded was not the word I would you for these kids.

Some discussion of the show has been going on in the Gossip Girl thread

7. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

I watched the preview & these people disgust me :sick: I'll probably watch it anyway :lol:

8. lmelanie

lmelanie Active Member

the first three episodes are up on bravotv.com

9. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

FULL episodes? :buzz: Sadly, my connection isn't as fast as I would like it, so I'll have to settle for waiting til the 23rd. -_-

Personally, kids are just being kids. :D Hormonal teenagers going through pubescence... they will make drama drama draaaaaamaaaaaa. But, the sneak preview actually made me really impressed. Of course, that might change as the show continues but PC and Camille seem to have their head secured on their shoulders better than the others. At least they have some sort of goals outside of living off of their wealthy parents.

10. Susanna-Cole

Susanna-Cole New Member

Edit: Yikes. This is a monster of a post. :ninja: Sorry. I'll try to give myself a word limit next time, so as to control my tongue, or er, fingers. :lol:

I always have strong opinions about shows like this. I guess I have a different view point than many, considering I've not only lived in near-poverty, but also lived among the extremely wealthy. I've seen both sides, and having seen both sides, I must say, I'll take poverty over wealth any day.

The lives of, almost all, the wealthy kids I know, revolve around money, clothes, parties, social status, gossip, petty dramas, having their way with everything, etc. As far as their lifestyles go, they're in a minority. A large sum of the world's population hardly scrapes by, goes without...without enough food, without clothes or shoes that fit, without privilege.

Funny thing is, when I whittle it down to what truly matters in life, most often, the poor are rich, and the rich are poor. Poverty makes you tune into what really matters, there is no shield to blind you from the truths of this world. Trials, and struggles make you stronger in heart, and in character. Not having what you need or want, fuels innovation and creativity; makes you grateful, prevents you from taking things for granted. There are no maids or privileges, if you want to survive, you'll work hard, you'll get your hands dirty. You'll value relationships all the more, for there's no money, no frivolous goods, to substitute for the value of genuine companionship.

Perhaps, the greatest thing poverty has every taught me, is all you really need is love, and all the material wealth and money in the world, can't buy you true love. That money, materialism, worldly success, sleek cars and sprawling mansions, will never truly fulfill you. They seemingly make you "happy" for a time, but I believe that life comes down to moments, not money.

Truly, though, I feel for the kids on shows like NYC Prep. They've been brought up in a world of privileges and misconceptions. Kids often grow up to be products of their environment. If they are raised in a house, cushioned with privileges, and with parents who are occupied with and driven by money and worldly success, they're then given an unspoken message of "money and status is what really matters". They have a sense of entitlement, life to them is a given, not a gift.

What if this were your last day on earth? I think we'd all want to spend our last day with the people we truly love and that love us, and we'd all most likely, take a step back and assess what really matters. Somehow I doubt it would be find it to be money, parties, appearance, gossip, social status, clothing, fame, etc. Why do so many waste their lives coveting, chasing after, or worrying about these things? Life is a gift, not a given, any day you awake, could be very well be your last, live like you are dying, because we all are, we all will.

Alright, sorry. I could go on, but I don't won't to leave all you dear tFSers asleep on your keyboards...you know, if I haven't already bored you to sleep. :blush:

Agreed. I think a better word to describe them would be something like "spoiled".

Yeah, I thought the same. I saw the first episode (I was desperately bored :ninja:), I don't plan on watching anymore, but gosh, I can't figure out why I even sat through the entire episode, when they all made me do this: :yuk: :sick:

#10 Susanna-Cole, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 20, 2009
  11. Jacque Marcel

Jacque Marcel army of lovers

I'm sorry but is this the best Bravo can come up with? These prepsters look so inbred. They should have just casted gorgeous models so at least this "reality" show would be easier to stomach.

12. tuttyfruit

tuttyfruit New Member

that girl who wants to go to harvard... hmmm if it were me i wouldn't do a reality show and let cameras watch what i do for 'extra-curricular' activities. i would be smarter than that.

they should have chosen better looking kids to portray the NYC prep scene. i doubt real prep kids would allow cameras to follow their lives.

13. it-boy's nature

^^ Agreed. I can't help but to think that those who are really "about it" don't talk about it. Being exclusive doesn't mean opening up your life to the world in some "reality" show.

And as for the Harvard applicant, I don't think it's that good an idea to do the show. Administration might see more than they wanted to see. When I'm applying to Ivy League schools in the fall you better believe I'll limit my impression to a great essay :)

14. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

Where the heck are these kids parents?

Has America's entertainment tastes sunk so low that they'll spend minutes of their lives watching a show about spoiled brats spending money and talking about spending money?

This quote is very true. I have doubts about how "old money" the kids are, or if they attend elite prep schools, seeing how they agreed to exploit themselves on national t.v.

15. designerleather

designerleather New Member

Then again... This is Bravo TV who highlights Kathy Griffin, as well as the "Real Housewives".

Sorry. My mom was a real housewife, who left her career as a biologist to raise a family of three kids. It would be nice to be wealthy, to walk into a store and spend $120K to furnish a couple of rooms at the drop of a dime, given that the house my mom grew up in sold for half of that

To me, Susanna-Cole hit it right on the head... The most important thing in this world is love, and there is no greater wealth than finding someone you absolutely adore and whom absolutely adores you in return.

16. JunyaSchick

JunyaSchick Active Member

where can I watch it? I can't tune bravo website cause I'm not in the States area... is it available on another site such as yidio....?

17. rangerrick14

rangerrick14 New Member

Wow, this show is funny. I love how they act as if they are more mature than most teenagers. They act like normal teenagers. They only thing is that they have more money and privilege than the average teenager. I will say though that I'm sorta falling in love with Jesse.

18. helloearth

helloearth New Member

i think this show has to be one of the dumbest picked up by bravo.
    these kids are minors and they're blantantly saying that they have fake ID's and they underage drink. c'mon..how incredibly stupid can u be. plus this show has no interesting storyline..it's just a bunch of silly kids parading around like they are hot **** while they mooch off their parents. also i was shocked when i saw that in the preview for next week..they discussed who is still a virgin and like people were admitting that they weren't. WTF! it's so embrassing watching this mess.

19. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

True true. They act like they know the world already which is just typical teen behavior. ^_^

I hate her THE MOST. :shock:

This show is pretty useless like helloearth is saying above. Fake IDs, having sex, hooking up, talking about virginity, being wealthy (which is just lucky). And they aren't even 18, so what parents in their right mind would allow their kids to be on TV represented in this way?

20. Jacque Marcel

Jacque Marcel army of lovers

:lol: at the girl saying she hates Gossip Girl. :rolleyes:
    Doesn't she like know like if Gossip Girl was not like popular she wouldn't be like on a reality like show like that like mimics Gossip Girl like...:innocent: You know she's thinks she the real life Serena.

#20 Jacque Marcel, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 24, 2009