Burberry Prorsum S/S 11 London

Biker jackets... yawn
Leather leggings... yawn
Studs... yawn
Micro minis... yawn

Neon and silver... sigh

This collection is a monstrosity.

usually i love Bailey but this is wrong..the clothes looks more wintry and even though some pieces are nice..overall the collection is not burberry..it seems like a cheap mix between versace and d&g :doh:

I think this collection was slightly dull, I suppose at least it was taken in a different direction with the lots of leather pieces.

^Third

Well, at least somewhere Taylor Momsen is happy

Fourth.
Literally the worst collection I've seen Bailey do. Ever.

Let's start with the shoes: Not only were they cankle-inducing, but they were clearly incredibly difficult to walk in - not just by the fact that two models had to remove their shoes, but by the embarrassing walk of the closing and many other models - how absolutely awquard was that?

In a season where everyone is doing ankle-length skirts and palazzo pants, Bailey decided to continue the ultra-mini dress and the ultra-skinny trouser. Someone trying to make a precocious statment about being beyond trends?
But there was one trend he did attempt - minimalism. And how dire was this attempt? Literally the most boring and shapeless dresses, or long tops, in silk satin with a zip detail.
How is a house so famous for its creative embellishments to change the classic Burberry look supposed to encorporate minimal looks? The answer: Just. Don't. Try.
But even though he included two minimalist-esque pieces, he also showed over-the-top animal-print pieces matched with similar, but different colour jacket.

In my opinion, Bailey would have made a much more tasteful statement by ignoring the trends and continuing his (admittedly, getting-tired) classic Bailey-for-Burberry collections instead of deliberately going the opposite direction almost to kick dirt in the struggling houses' faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I feel really bad for Bailey. He always gets so much criticism for his lack of newness and whatnot. The fact is he doesn't have complete control over the Burberry image and there are things that he does (and has been doing) that don't necessarily reflect his true internal wishes for the brand.

What gets me sometimes is how some people find the guts to criticize Bailey and not Decarnin, who's practically doing the same thing.

I couldn't agree more.

Oh I feel really bad for Bailey. He always gets so much criticism for his lack of newness and whatnot. The fact is he doesn't have complete control over the Burberry image and there are things that he does (and has been doing) that don't necessarily reflect his true internal wishes for the brand.

What gets me sometimes is how some people find the guts to criticize Bailey and not Decarnin, who's practically doing the same thing.
Not to sound harsh, but where on Earth did you hear that? He's the creative director of the brand, which means that he does have a good deal of control over the look the house projects and the quality of the designs he sends out his runway. If those designs are a good two years behind in terms of trendiness and ugly on top of that, who else is to blame?

And I don't know about you but I've seen some major virtual bashing aimed in Decarnin's direction for a few years now. He's hardly immune to criticism. If anything I kind of feel like it's the opposite, that a lot of people willingly overlook or just don't care that Bailey normally sends out the same thing for seasons at a time without much variation.

^ Oh it hardly needs to be said, I'm sure Bailey could have produced something more impressive. I'm not arguing that he's totally blameless. But surely there are superiors to him who pressure him to make more commercial directed clothes. And yes he could have done a better job than this, but I really don't see the problem with this collection. It's not exactly groundbreaking but I still feel it has the Burberry spirit, but obviously aimed at a much younger market. Apart from those cheap looking mini-dresses you have the staple coats and bags and jackets and pants. Yes it's not revolutionary, but at the moment very few people are. And as I recall Burberry had some financial problems about a year ago or so (as did many others) so maybe this is the company's way of re-stabilizing itself.

And I've DEFINITELY seen less hostility when it comes to Decarnin. Perhaps it's Bailey's past that raises our expectations of him?

Good God, even the thumbnails on p. 4 don't make me say, "Hmmm, that looks interesting. Let's click on that picture." All I see are garish colors & little/no cohesion from look-to-look.

He should've stuck to Milan.

Really like it. All except some of the animal prints and snake skins in neons. Those shoes are kind of odd-looking, though. They do not look comfortable at all. And the shape of them is just plain awkward. Not what I would've chosen. But the jackets and the coats are just fantastic and fabulous and I love them.

There are some gorgeous jackets and coats in there, I have to give him that!:heart: I don't like the studded leathers.. and I'm not a fan of animal prints either, but I don't mind the bright accessories, they're kind of cute imo.

In general thought, it does feel like too much rehashing of trends... old trends....

Does anyone have a good picture of the shoes? Style.com's detail shots of them aren't very good.

To be honest, a lot of it seemed like a repeat of what we've seen before. Yes, it was nice, but that was all it was: just nice. It wasn't particularly moving and the show format is getting a little boring.

Christopher Bailey needs to perhaps revolutionise some of their key pieces. Saying that, I did like some of the biker jackets and most of the dresses were lovely.
I really dislike the animal print. Some of it reminded too much of Alexander McQueen S/S10 and I'm deciding to ignore it.

I just loved, every second of it.
Of course the girls walk was terrible and the music not what we can expect from Burberry. But the collection on itself was simply amazing.
Christopher is really trying to emancipate himself, from the whole " trench coat "' straightjacket. And this collection, proved it at 200%. Of course some things reminded me of his previous collection. But what felt like littles signs of rebellion in 2008, was a real revolution here. 3 years ago or even one year ago, I don't think I would have imagined seeing such sexy pieces at Burberry. Those super tight leather pants, the metal ones, or those little cocktail dresses open at the back with their black stripes. And of course these amazing studded jackets which were for me the higlight of the show. They were even more exciting than the men's ones. They underline perfectly the strong message of the collection. And what is striking and also quite funny, it's the fact that , when normally through the years Brands and designers "design" clothes for a woman who gets older and more mature and a bit more conservative too. Whereas at Burberry, As far as I'm concerned, Christopher's woman is becoming more and more sassier and sexy. And I like it because she's still chic.
edit*** please refrain from model talk in this forum***

those poor models. Ive never seen so many models be so uncomfortable in their runway shoes!
I will give him the amazing leather jackets. but the dresses and such are repetitive and the leather pants are very 2007.

The bags were so pretty, but some of the shoes were weird. I'm a bit disappointed, like I've seen this before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->