Caring for Curls: Curly Hair Care

Wavy Hair

I have the exact problem as you morgana. I have nice waves when my hair is wet, and even if I dont' brush my hair, all the waves disappear when its dry.
I hear two things, use mousse and use a diffuser. I tried using Garnier's mousse, and my hair was gross and crunch afterwards, any suggestions for other brands or what I'm doing wrong. Also, I was wondering, how do you use a diffuser, is there a good technique? Thanks!:D

I have the same type of hair as you Morgana. Now I use Pantene Pro-V Curl Scrunching Spray Gel. I spray it on to my hair while its still damp, scrunch it a bit, then just let it air dry. It works great! Also remember, the more you touch your hair, the frizzier its going to be.

Hello wavy haired friends

My hair is naturally wavy and i have always wore my hair straightened to death because i hated the frizz that with my wavy hair. But a stylist finally showed me how to dry my hair curly and it's great to be able to wear my hair both ways and not be a 'frizz ball'!!:lol:

For curly hair, comb through wet hair, i then apply a leave in moisturiser then a frizz ease type serum which is again combed through (my hair is quite dry and can take products quite well tho) i then use Umberto Giani (sp) Curl Scrunching Gel and apply liberally to my hair scrunching as i apply. Once i have the curls as i want them when my hair is wet i start drying with a hairdryer and diffuser.

The key to using the diffuser is to the patient. Put the hairdryer on a low/ hot setting and hold the diffuser away from the hair. You are using the heat from the hairdryer not the blowing air to dry your hair. It's this method that stops your hair going frizzy. As others have said try not to touch your hair too much as this can make it more frizzy. I usually scrunch it a few times to keep the curls in and to see how dry it is getting. I usually stop when my hair is still a little damp and leave the rest to dry naturally.

Give it a try, practice makes perfect! I can easily leave my hair like this for a couple of days and 'wake it up in the morning with a splash of water and scrunching.

Hope this helps :flower:

hair

thanks barbeegirl! =) I'll try that out this weekend. B)

hi my sister has curly hair and i want her to like her hair and take care of it. She says she does not wear it lose because it has too much volume.
well i wanted to know what she do to lose the volume.

Matrix has a line called curl.life. It works really well, it defines curls and decreases volume (which I think it was most of use curly girls want). The contouring cream is absolutely awesome.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a great site that caters for people like us with wavy hair, i mean you have curly hair sites or straight hair sites... i would like to know cause im in a phase of trying to get my wavy hair back as its had years of being straightened but i would love to know more things you can do with it??

Question to all

my hair is thick and i got tight curls not wavy...tiiight!and it frizzes sooo often..im tryin to weight it down and make the curls bigger rather than tight!how?

im using anti frizz serum..sometimes its good and sometimes my hair still frizzes..any tips?
i tried mousse and i aint sure how to use it with my hair..i thought mousse was only for girls who wanted curly hair when they dont have it.

pleaaase educate me:smile:

I am allways experimenting....

I don´t really like serums as they tend to make the hait really yucki, but if you mix some drps of serum with an ordinary hair gel it and apply it on wet hair and then dry it either with a blow drier or naturally, the hair looks great.

Mousses are ok, but i prefer the ones for curly hair, the regular ones make my hair poofy.

As for gel alone, it works great too.

A great product for curly hair is Umberto Gianinni curl gel. Makes the curls amazing!!!!

I guess when you have curly hair you really need to experiment until you find the thing that works for you. The thing about mixing serum with gel i read in another forum about curly hair.

Dixie said:
Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion.
yep its pretty good except it smells like a household detergent, well to me at least.

heyy,

my hair is naturally really curly, and i use ceramic straighteners a LOT. Which means i have a lot split ends (i'm forever trimming my hair) and hair isn't as healthy. is there anything i can use to make it better? thnxx

I'm a product junkie, so I'm always buying new products...but I still haven't found my HG. The products I've tried give me loose curls, but won't tame the frizz :(

Memoiana, I think you should get the split ends cut off, and get a treatment...HTH a bit. :smile:

Shampoo/Conditioner Suggestions for Curly, Somewhat Oily Hair

You guys seem to know a lot about hair products- - I need a shampoo and conditioner for my curly, somewhat lifeless, somewhat oily hair. When I say it is lifeless I mean it doesn't really have a healthy looking "bounce" to it... I don't want volumizing shampoo/conditioner. That's the last thing I need- - my hair is extremely thick.

BTW, do you guys reccomend Bumble and Bumble. I've heard that stuff is great.

Thanks! :flower:

hi my hair used to be curly but after years of straightening it has left my hair well abit flat really.. but now im getting my curls and waves back without frizz by when i wash my hair i shampoo it as usual but when i use conditioner i don't wash it all out i leave about 10% in, this enables hair to be more managable and it dries really shiny, just make sure you wash it all off near the roots tho otherwise it might give you greasy looking hair.. anyways when you have washed it, comb it and gently use a clean towelt to scrunch it up around your head, this will soak up any excess moisture, then use a gel or mousse to use while hair is wet, using your hands to gently scrunch your hair, leave it to dry naturally then you will have a head of gorgeous curls.. another good tip is when you do your hair next day, damp your hair with cold water it helps the curls to stay without frizzing up and its keeps your hair shiny! :wink:

my hair is back to wavy now so with any luck if im patient and keep doing this, it ll go curly again. :D

my natural hair used to be really uncurly and it lacked shape. so i used to flar iron it everytime i washed my hair (like 3 or 4 times a week).
then i got tired of the straight look, and started wearing wavy/curly hair. this is my routine: 1) wash your hair like you usually do. 2) blow dry your hair until it's a little bit dry, but not completely dry. 3) divide your hair in sections, taking the bottom parts first. 4) blow dry your hair while with the other hand you curl that section around your finger (i'm not sure if this is clear). 5) once you're done with all your hair, take those sections again, and flat iron each part from the root to the beginning of the curl. 6) apply a little bit of serum (that's how it's called here), it's like a transparent liquid thing that gives shine to your hair, and keeps the frizzy-ness down.

i know it sounds a little complicated, but after some practise it's really easy.

i also learned that it's very important to have a flattering hair cut that's right for your hair type.
oh, and if you blow dry your hair, in any situation, don't do it in a room where there's humidity, because your hair will absorve it.

hope it helped!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i have a question my hair is really curly at the back and fizzy at the front how do i get rid of it??????????

I've tried just about everything. I used to use some expensive French Phyto-or-other sold at a local salon, which cost about $23.00 per tube, until they no longer carried it.

I've since discovered Dove's Curl Defining Styling Cream. It's only about $3.99, and it does the same great job as the expensive stuff I can't find. It turns my hair into ringlets with no frizz. Not only that, but the next day, all I have to do is spritz a little water on it, scrunch, and my curls are just as good as the day before. I like it so much, I sent Dove an e-mail telling them the same thing as I wrote here.

I think every product made by Dove is excellent. I've been using their soap for years, and it's so creamy and smells soft and delicious. I know that physicians recommend Dove soap all the time for its excellent moisturizing, non-irritating qualities.

Another brand you might like to try is Ouidad. They specialize in curly hair products. I haven't tried it. I try the brands available in my local drug store, and that one you'll have to buy online.

I do have a tip for drying curly hair. To get at the roots but no disturb your curl, while drying, gently grasp the hair with your palm facing up along your scalp so that you're lifting the curls away from the dryer. Your roots will get dry, but the curls will remain intact.
HTH,
Amy

I have long, brown, curly hair. My favorite products are John Frieda's Dream Curls which gives my curls shape instead of having them all over the place. Sometimes I just use mousse. I find that using leave in conditioners or silk therapy really helps with the friz.
Another thing I do often is, since I usually go to the gym later at night and therefore shower later at night, I put my hair up in a bun when its still wet and sleep with it like that, and when I wake up I take out my hair and I have great looking curls; and my hair is still a bit wet so I can work with it if I need to until it looks (almost) perfect!
My only problems is when I step outside and its humid my hair is instantly ruined. I still haven't found any great products to prevent that. Anyone have any tips?

ok ppl here's a question for you....
product is good for culy, frizzy hair...
but it tends to weigh my hair down....GOOD for the frizz, yes....but BAD for the volume.....because i have to constantly keep scrunching my hair to keep it alive & bouncing....

does anyone know of lightweight products that attack frizz but lend your hair body??....
i'm desperate....:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->